Lotion & LV mortal enemies?

Aug 17, 2008
Hello everyone,

I've search the forum for my specific question and found little information on it so please be kind and bare with me, help if you can. :hugs:

I have the Tivoli GM and a brand new Speedy B 30 that I have yet to use. The skin on my arms sometimes feels dry and itchy, especially in the cold weather and lotion would be the only way to alleviate the discomfort. I am concerned about using lotion on my arms and carry my bags on the nook of my arm. I only use lotion after I shower or before getting dressed which gives me about 30 minutes at least from the time I put lotion on to the the time I grab my bag and head out the door. Would this be enough time for the lotion to absorb and not cause staining? I don't use a heavy cream like product.

I have read that applying lotion to the hands and handling the vanchetta is a no-no. Unfortunatly thats where the information stops. Is there a rule to this? ie. alloted time between lotion application and handling of vanchetta, is the rule exclusive to a certain type of lotion, etc?

Is the use of lotion on my skin banned completely and in order to carry my LV I must suffer with dry skin? :shucks:
I know I can't be the only person who uses lotion and carries LV, please ladies can you share your experiences and advice. :smooch::hugs:Thank you much

I always use some type of moisturizer---Curel for dry skin and sometimes my hand cream if my arms/hands feel dry. I try to blot it with a towel and wait a while before carrying my bag on my arm or in my hands. The lotion might darken the vachetta but from the posts I've read, it's actually worse to use hand sanitizer or anything with a lot of alcohol due to its drying effect on the leather. If you wait a while/let your lotion dry, don't think it will be a problem. I would be more careful with suntan lotion or lotion that has spf though.....

I have dry skin and wear lotions... sometimes three times a day...
I have never noticed that they affected my LVs
I have very dry skin and the lotion I wear (avene) is easily absorved by my skin.
I wear everyday my speedy 25, or my batignolles... both hand held.

I use lotion on my hands obsessively and have never noticed any effect on my LVs. Most of my things are Vernis but even my Verona's (DE) leather straps seem perfect after two years. I am more careful when I'm carrying my calf skin Lockit Obsession BB though so its not a bad idea to me cautious but don't let it stop you from loving your beautiful handbags. :smile:

I use lotion on my hands obsessively and have never noticed any effect on my LVs. Most of my things are Vernis but even my Verona's (DE) leather straps seem perfect after two years. I am more careful when I'm carrying my calf skin Lockit Obsession BB though so its not a bad idea to me cautious but don't let it stop you from loving your beautiful handbags. :smile:

I think OP was concerned about darkening the vachetta handles on mono pieces

I feel more at ease with applying lotion to my skin now. I knew LV users weren't walking around with ashy itchy skin lol. I can't stand how that feels.

Thank you all for your input XOXO.... Im taking out my Speedy B once this rain goes away:smile: