Workplace Lost out on a job you've always wanted? Thoughts needed.

missD

O.G.
May 29, 2006
Soooo I guess I just need to vent. My husband and friends will always end up saying, "there are plentttyyyyyyy of jobs out there!!!!" A little long but I'm hoping for some neutral perspective.

Anyways, in late October, I applied for a job at one of my dream companies. It would be a game changer for my career since it felt like I've been working to get to this end goal (a company of this caliber) for the past 7 years? Anyways, in addition to that, I'm a new mom (baby born August 2015) and I had strong bouts of depression and feelings of defeat for a month or 2 after baby was born...

Soooo when I applied to this job on a whim, not expecting much, (baby was napping and I thought, oh what the heck) I received a request for an interview. At this time, I was a consultant and picked my own work hours, ever since the baby came along. However, I do want to get back working full time...I feel like I'm losing my ambitions and identity being a SAHM.

So, the first interview came and went and it was great and soon enough, I went up the chain interviewing and interviewing...11 interviews total!!!!! Eleven over the span of early November till early December! I felt in my body that WOW, this might be my big break...The 11th interview was in early December would be my deciding fate since it was with the head of the dept.

So it's been 11 days since my last interview (Dec 4th) and I've heard nothing. Not a peep except "we're still collecting final feedback from all parties that met with you" that was emailed to me about a week after. Now, I felt like I psyched myself up and went so close, and now, it just doesn't look good... Maybe the last interviewer didn't click with me...I don't know.

To make matters worse, I was on Glassdoor.com today reading about interview experiences people had with this particular company. Lo and behold, 2 people wrote up a review about interviewing at this company (posted Dec 7th and 13th) for the same position that I am interviewing for! Granted, there were 3 openings of this position but in these 2 particular reviews, one writer accepted the position and one was denied. Soooo....things were certainly moving.....but just not for me? Sigh.

Anwyays, just needed to vent. If this won't be my big break then I just want to be notified already. This waiting and non-answer is pushing me back into my depressed modes again. Bah!

Any advice on how to get outta this funk? Thanks for reading.

So it's been 11 days since my last interview (Dec 4th) and I've heard nothing. Not a peep except "we're still collecting final feedback from all parties that met with you" that was emailed to me about a week after. Now, I felt like I psyched myself up and went so close, and now, it just doesn't look good... Maybe the last interviewer didn't click with me...I don't know.

I don't know if this is a large company you're applying with, but if that's the case, they are probably either winding down for the year or scrambling to finish things up before people start taking time off. I know that my company is doing a little bit of both. They may have decided to focus on other things and restart their interview process after the new year. It is so hard to get people together this time of year. The last 2 weeks of the year at my company are basically a wash as so many people are gone.

Don't give up hope yet! Today is the 8th business day since your interview, so the "gathering feedback" context could be quite accurate. Also, as Lori says, this time of year can be out of the ordinary for making progress on hiring, if they are slowing down at the end of their FY or jamming away trying to complete the last tasks before the holidays. Internal recruiters sometimes have to bug hiring managers/interviewers for their decisions during this odd time of year.

I'd give it til the end of this week, and if you don't hear anything by Friday morning, call (do not email) your recruiter/HR contact to inquire about your status and when you may expect to hear one way or the other.

Good luck!

You guys...sigh. Thank you for all the kind words. My 6th sense was right. I was not offered the job. Bah.

Oh rats, I'm so sorry. :sad:

I know how you feel. It sucks. Had something similar happen to me years ago. Devastating doesn't begin to come close. Take time to heal and don't replay everything in your mind. Many times, it's nothing you did or said or didn't do or didn't say, KWIM?

Hugs :hugs: Hang in there.

Oh rats, I'm so sorry. :sad:

I know how you feel. It sucks. Had something similar happen to me years ago. Devastating doesn't begin to come close. Take time to heal and don't replay everything in your mind. Many times, it's nothing you did or said or didn't do or didn't say, KWIM?

Hugs :hugs: Hang in there.

You are right. I need to quit replaying all those damn interviews in my head. I'm going to move on and just spend quality time with my baby. Things always happen for a reason. :cool:

Rats!

Here is how I might respond: For every rejection, apply for 5 more jobs. Or beef up your linkedin profile. (I got an unsolicited call the other day!) Or build up your resume or portfolio with a skill that employers are seeking out.

I have worked for some dream companies. It's not always as awesome as it seems.

For now, enjoy the holiday season with your baby! Be grateful for everything you have and the beautful things that you see. It's snowing here and it feels like Christmas! Dogs are playing, candles are burning that smell like Christmas trees, a new year is beginning. Stay in your head and populate it with good thoughts. Don't let other people or circumstances drag you down.

You will get what you want. Go through the motions and when you are not in job hunting mode, think of something else.

Rats!

Here is how I might respond: For every rejection, apply for 5 more jobs. Or beef up your linkedin profile. (I got an unsolicited call the other day!) Or build up your resume or portfolio with a skill that employers are seeking out.

I have worked for some dream companies. It's not always as awesome as it seems.

For now, enjoy the holiday season with your baby! Be grateful for everything you have and the beautful things that you see. It's snowing here and it feels like Christmas! Dogs are playing, candles are burning that smell like Christmas trees, a new year is beginning. Stay in your head and populate it with good thoughts. Don't let other people or circumstances drag you down.

You will get what you want. Go through the motions and when you are not in job hunting mode, think of something else.

Thank you! Yes, my husband was saying this as well. These big companies aren't always the best. I've moved on and have been applying to other jobs like crazy just to get this negative, yet educational, experience out of my system!

You guys...sigh. Thank you for all the kind words. My 6th sense was right. I was not offered the job. Bah.
Must be about 10 years ago I interviewed a job that I desperately wanted. I did not get the job and was crushed - spent weeks dwelling on it and it even ruined my summer vacation (at the time). Today I honestly cannot even remember the company name or job that it was I wanted!!

There is something better just around the corner for you. You'll see!