Losing weight question

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm not sure I'm in the right place :shame:

I'm hoping to get a few tips from you people regarding losing weight.. I'm quite short (about 5ft 2), slightly overweight and pear shaped. I do alot of walking (i.e taking my brother to school, walking to uni (roughly 30 mins)) so I don't feel I need help in that area... so should I focus mainly on what I am eating? Like, eating when only really hungry etc etc. Because I feel if I exercise and diet I'm just going to bulk up my legs ever more.

I'm hoping some of you girls have a similar experience to share but I appreciate all comments :okay:

2. hi,
    well the best way to lose weight is to combine diet and exercise...
    when it comes tor dieting it would be better to boost up your metabolism by eating small frequent meals a day...take me for example...i eat every 3 hours whether a pc of fruit, yoghurt, a sandwich, or whatever

notice that when you go on a starvation diet you gain more weight in a shorter amt of time..thats coz your metabolism has slowed down...its ur body's way of conserving energy

for exercise...i suggest cardio mixed with a bit of weight training...i dont go to the gym...i just do my thing at home or go boxing or wall climbing every now and then

3. What you eat is really the biggest part of losing weight. I never realized how much I'd been eating until I joined Weight Watchers. My advice would be to either count points with WW or just count calories. You'll probably find that you are eating way more than necessary.

4. If you want to lose weight, you will need to change your "exercise" routine occasionally. If you already do a lot of walking, doing the same amount of exercise each day will not help you lose any more weight. You need to change something in your routine that will give your body a true work out. I had a routine awhile back, and I lost about 10 pounds the first couple of months, but it stopped helping after awhile.I had to constantly add/change things in order for the pounds to keep coming off.

Brisk walking is great for losing weight, but regular walking won't help much, to be honest.

5. Just think input v output when it comes to food. Walking is great, but unfortunately not enough. For best results to slim down and tone up you have to do some form of exercise that will raise the heart rate. If you don't like the idea of running, how about an exercise class or swimming.

Running or aerobics won't bulk you up, one of the only things that will do that is serious weight training (heavy weights) on a protein diet and no cardio.

6. Thanks for all your help girls! :smile:

When I walk I tend to get quite hot anyway (I dont have good stamina) and I may start running since there is a nice big park nearby and I did used to run but got bored of it ( I was doing it virtually every day!)

Thanks ! :smile:

7. Hello, I'm going to start my diet soon! I'm the same height as you (5'2) so I understand that any extra weight, even little, will show up more on us.

Oh I'll be doing mainly running and focusing on eating better.

8. I am in the same shoes as you and it all depends on the person. Obviously diet and exercise in combination is best but I have great difficulty with my diet so most of my "getting to a healthier weight" is done through exercise. I used to walk A LOT and I thought I was being healthy but in all honesty I was actually steadily gaining weight because I was eating more than usual during that period. What really helped me was running.

9. What you eat makes a big difference!!! I went to the gym everyday and maintained my body. It wasn't until I changed what I ate that I actually started shedding pounds. I did the Fat Smash Diet and lost 5 pounds in the first phase. It seems pretty good because it is about eating right and getting the appropriate amount of exercise. Lots of fruits and veggies!!!

10. In my opinion the secret is to eat a lot of fibers.

11. Yep, what you eat is a big part and exercise. Meaning a slow walk for effective weight loss isn't going to cut it. One needs to get the heart rate consistently up and for about 45 minutes.

What worked and works for maintaining for me----20-30 grams of fat per day and much easier than counting calories. Never, Never, Never go below 20. EVER! It can be dangerous. Fat is essential to our hormones and can make you whack if you don't have enough.

1 gram of fat = 9 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of carbs = 4 calories

So, if you watch your fat, you're essentially watching your calorie intake, without counting. It's MUCH easier to count grams of fat....hands down.

In the the body, carbs get utilized/burned first, then protein and then fat. After the body gets all of the energy it needs to function from cabrs and protein, then the rest goes to be converted and storted as fat. And since fat is the last to get utilized by the body (with the exception of hormones utilizing a little bit of it), it doesn't have to be converted like carbs and protein, it just goes straight to the fat cells, hence making us fat. Also note when carbs and protein are converted into fat, it requires energy, and that energy comes from the carbs and protein, not fat. So, while the body's converting leftover unused carbs and protein into fat, it's using carbs and protein for energy, but not all of it, duhhh! :smile: Confusing, huh?

So, all in all, watch your fat. It's the last in the chain to get burned and utilized. Whatever fat is leftover, goes straight to the blood stream INTO fat cells making us fatty! lol

So, nice helping of grilled fish using PAM spray olive oil and spices, a NICE helping of rice (YES, carbs!!!!!!!! No need to skimp) and a NICE helping of Veggies with a tad of light butter spray. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!

For snack, I have Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches. Mmmmmm 2 Grams of Fat Mmmmmmmmmmm and so GOOD!

:jammin:

Typical Meal For Me:

Breakfast:

BIG Bowl of Oatmeal With Brown Sugar and Skim Milk (don't skimp)
    1 Cup Of Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt---any flavor
    Fruit IF I'm still hungry, usually not though.

(Total Fat 2.5 Grams of Fat ALL from Yogurt)

Lunch:

FULL Turkey Sandwich, No Mayo, But Mustart or Spicy Mustard Are Ok, Whole Wheat Bread (2 slices), tomatoes, onions and 1/2 slice of swiss cheese. One slice is about 8 grams of fat, so I just use half.

1 Cup Of Brown Cow Yogurt---any flavor

(Total Fat: 2 slices of whole wheat bread 2 grams of fat total, turkey meat, fat free, no fat, 1/2 slice of swiss cheese 4 grams of fat EQUALS = 6 grams of fat in the sandwich alone AND 2.5 Grams of Fat in Yogurt = 8.5 Grams of Fat)

Dinner:

4 Ounces of Mahi Mahi Fish grilled with cilantro, lime, green chilies, salt, pepper in a VERY light PAM olive oil spritz. I cut my Mahi Mahi into long thin slices to avoid overcooking and burning. Makes it easier and faster to cook. One nice hearty healthy serving of whole grain rice (no oil, but make it with a chicken or beef bouillon cube for flavor) and veggies flavored with a beef bouillon cube and topped off with Neera's Yogurt Seasoning Riata Mix. This mixture of spices are to DIE for!!! It's an Indian mix containing onion, black mustard seed, crushed red chilies, ginger, herbs and spices---like cumin etc... SO GOOD! Greens never tasted so good! :smile:

(Total Fat: 4 Onces Of Mahi Mahi 1 Gram of Fat, Spritz of Olive Oil--guesstimate 1-2 grams, I really don't use a lot at all. Veggies, no fat, rice, no fat. TOTAL EQUALS 5-6 Grams at the most)

Dessert:

Skinny Cow Ice cream sandwich Mmmmmmmmmmmm 2 grams of fat

and if I want, I split a bag with DH if 94% fat free popcorn. LOL

So, ALL day, I consume about 17-20 Grams of fat! Does it look like I'm deprived? If you at all feel deprived, then have a yogurt. Mmmmmmmmmm :smile: I haven't gotten bored yet. It's been years now.

:smile:

Good luck! :smile:

It works :smile:

12. hmm. can anyone tell me a ballpark points number? i can't afford WW but their food is all over our stores so if i knew a good number of points to limit myself to i might be better off...

i never have problems exercising but my diet isn't very good so the weight just sort of stays the same instead of going up/down

13. I am a yo-yo at 5'2! But when I need to dump the weight my secret is to do 5 days a week of cardio, 3 days of weight training and stuffing my face with bowls of lettuce and cucumber and protein and water and energy bars throughout the day with no more eating past 7:30pm (from Oprah). I never go to bed hungry and yet I still lose weight and inches by tricking my body into thinking it's getting full with the bad junk I used to eat......

14. I have the same opinion as well - lots of fibre topped with Spin Classes at the gym 5 times a week.