Losing my obsession fast...

I didn't get that at all from reading TropicalGals post :shrugs:

Neither did I and it's more about when is enough, enough? Regardless of anyone's financial lot in life.

Definition of judge v. , judged , judging , judges . v.tr. To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration.

No need for anyone in this thread to feel ashamed for "judging."

Pretty clear.

I didn't get any sense of her judging anyone or anything by saying this. For me, it's "pretty clear" that she has realized her own priorities after taking care of her mother's belongings. What's wrong with trying to share a life lesson?

I certainly learned something from reading her post.

I think what is clear in all of this is: We are all hungry for a good conversation about issues, and not just about the length of straps or how well a zipper works! I'm pleased that my posts are rousing into debate!

By the way Mimi: I love your collection in that it looks so carefully chosen and edited. Your collection shows a real point of view.

I didn't get any sense of her judging anyone or anything by saying this..
Fine. I'm just restating what she wrote in her post and saying no, it's not true for all of us that it's an either or situation. I'm responding to her plain English, you can feel comfortable with her intentions.

Our behavior about a lot of our 'obsessions' and what we're willing to spend on them also come down through the family. I was raised in rather a hard-luck family, so pennies were pinched, items bought at yard- and tag-sales, always bought on sale. Clothing was made, if possible. Second-hand cars and other items. When you're raised to look hard at the dollar and how far it will take you, it's hard to rationalize a handbag obsession. It's hard to even purchase something full price, if it's not an absolute necessity. So, I think there's a large disparity here about what is necessary and what isn't; what somebody will pay and what they won't; how much is too much and how much is not enough. There is no reason to make judgements about any of our beliefs regarding having too many handbags or not enough. Spending thousands or spending hundreds, or even less than $50.

Our common bond is the love of the handbag. That is a rare bond, believe me - I've known a lot of women, and none of had the fascination for handbags that I do.

Not so long ago, I wouldn't consider paying more than a couple of hundred for a bag ... now I've spent that and more. My next step is Balenciaga-range prices, but - until I can recover my senses and get a grip and just plain rest for a bit - it isn't going to happen. As I wrote, I'm hung-over.

I am awed and amazed that college students and others will pay hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on handbags... but that is their problem, certainly not mine. For which I am happy -. They don't consider it a problem - they're happy - and I don't have any debt. Maybe they don't either.

I mean, it all works out in the end.

I don't think anybody is judging anybody here. Don't jump to unwarranted conclusions, and just let us all discuss and vent and wonder and rest from our obsession peacefully. Each of us has a different outlook and different priorities.

I think it would be so great if next to everyone's name, we could see their age as well. Of course this may appear judgemental, but I think that a 15 year old would have a different perspective than a 30 year old and a 60 year old, etc.....

Sorry for not being clear, I meant, being judgmental, as in forming an assumption not based in fact, but in one's prejudices. Get it now?

No I do not get it now. :shrugs:

This thread is more about when is enough, enough? Regardless of anyone's financial lot in life.

An opinion is a personal view, attitude or belief. And thus we are all rendering our opinions (judging).

Definition of judge v. , judged , judging , judges . v.tr. To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration.

No need for anyone in this thread to feel ashamed for "judging."

I think it would be so great if next to everyone's name, we could see their age as well. Of course this may appear judgemental, but I think that a 15 year old would have a different perspective than a 30 year old and a 60 year old, etc.....

Agreed, 100%. What's important when you're 15 is nothing when you're 20. What's important in your 20s is nothing in your 30s. And so on.

47 here... And I think Balenciaga is going to be my 50th celebration. For no other reason than I can.

:nuts:

You cannot have an opinion on what other people whom you don't know put into savings. Period. :rolleyes:

Get it now?

I know you weren't talking to me, but I wanted to respond...

I can too have an opinion! It's either MY GOD or My God or You're KIDDING ME or No, really? That much? -or- my favorite - you, too?