Losing my obsession fast...

I find myself going between handbags, shoes and jewelry and then going through phases of not wanting to spend at all. I can never predict when one of the bugs will bite, but fortunately tPF has outlets for all kinds of discussion, regardless of whether I am currently buying or not! Given that we just invested in a new computer and digital camera, I won't be doing much spending for a little while.

I understand, TropicalGal. Perhaps some of us dive in, learn about all there is to know, and once we've bought what we're going to buy, the interest fades. I haven't bought but one bag, so I'll still on the hunt, but after a while, I agree, there is not much new to write about or read about unless one comments on the new collections.

Yes, I can relate about this today. I bought a lot of bags in a couple months' period and now it has slowed down (minus small things, which I hope dies down as well). The kicker for me is SPACE. I don't have any more space for bags anymore so I need to either love THEM or sell. As I am kind of a pack rat and live by the "cost per wear" mentality, it looks like I'm going to have to start lovin' my bags. And I am. My BBBC sisters are helping me with that. But tropicalgal, I don't see what you're going through as abnormal. Just don't be surprised if you start with the bag collecting again.

I pretty much feel that way about most things at the moment. I will not buy anything unless i truly love it, or if i do i take it back. I feel my bag collection is complete right now, i have a bag for all occasions, and i can't see the point of buying a new bag simply because i like it. :shrugs:

That's where I am too! I'm trying to save some money for a new business venture so not buying anything (clothes/ bags or anything else) unless I actually NEED it or totally LOVE it!

I've been feeling the same way for at least 2 years, now, TBH! :biggrin:

I will always like bags, but I'm not as obsessed with them as I was between '02 and '05.

These things always go in trends, as there is only so many variations of each type of bag (or anything else) you can really produce and most people just tire of focusing on the same type of item, indefinitely (unless they have an actual fetish!).

After all, homewares and interior design were the in-thing a few years ago and then bags and now, for me, designer knitwear has taken over. :yes:

But I also think it's partly because some of the best designers have left the industry (Phoebe Philo and Tom Ford being the most notable examples) and most of the ones left have, frankly, run out of ideas.

Oh yes and I almost forgot the other reason, which is that, at the same time as the ideas have been drying up, the prices have been going waaaaay up; when they should, logically, have been going down. :shrugs:

I know what everyone means. I'll always love having a great bag and finding styles that excite me, though the last time I felt anything close to obsession was several years ago when I first discovered Coach and then LV, and got into buying whatever my friends were buying. I still own Chanels I never use. I think I had to go through an obsessive period to discover what I really liked and my own style.

Some people will always be crazy obsessive about handbags, and more power to them. Most folks just need to establish a working relationship with their passion and their pocketbook.

I have been a "bag nut" since I was a little girl! I even used to carry my purse on the playground in elementary school! :P I'm 30 now & the handbag appeal hasn't waned. However, I do go thru brand stages. Years ago (when I worked retail) I was all about LV. Then Gucci, then Coach. Now I've found a Kate Spade style that really appeals to me. The obsession doesn't leave; the brand & style is what I move thru. I can't imagine the day that I'm not into bags!

It is so interesting to read all your threads...and then, you look at the wildly busy activity on tpf -- and there are hundreds/thousands obsessing over their lv's and hermes...it is fascinating to go into those forums and see the frenzy. tpf is a great educator and serves me well. i've also met lots of nice ladies online. i love to hear about your lives in far off places. in this thread, for the most part, we are ladies who are supremely happy with our collections, using and enjoying them. the love of a good handbag is there, but the obsession is not. that's a good thing!

I totally agree with you-now no matter what quality the bag- they are starting in the $400-$600 range. A year ago I wouldn't have dreamt of spending that much on a handbag! ...What makes these designers think that their bag is worth that kind of money? ... I truly think these handbag designers have lost their minds!:shrugs:

This is how the market works. They charge as much as the market will allow. It's like that with everything. If bags are flying off the shelf at $200, then let's try $300 and so on. They watch what sells and what doesn't. If people are willing to pay, then they can charge it. It's that way with everything... dress desigers, musicians, wedding cakes, hair stylists, etc.

And they must be selling because look at the blogs and the sites and I was on the Saks site the other day and their best sellers are MOSTLY the $1000 bags and up!!!

Prices will only stablize with the market stabilizes and there is a balance, but for some reason, we are on a handbag frenzy in fashion recently.

^ ITA. :yes:

But I think the bag obsession phase is definitely on the wane.

The truly fashionable have already moved on to other things, some time ago.

For example, a couple of seasons ago, a fashion editor, very pointedly, did the shows without any handbag at all. :smile:

^ ITA. :yes:

But I think the bag obsession phase is definitely on the wane.

The truly fashionable have already moved on to other things, some time ago.

For example, a couple of seasons ago, a fashion editor, very pointedly, did the shows without any handbag at all. :smile:

This makes complete sense... the trickle down effect. Hey, if "I" am into handbags right now and I so not into fashion, then the "truly" fashionable must be "over it"!:roflmfao:

I'm here mostly for research purposes. I'm retiring the baby bags and want to get two or three handbags... Got two! Maybe need one more, but I'm in no hurry.

BTW... I totally agree with the "if I won't pay it full price, then I don't need it". Well, I agree with it to a degree. people shouldn't buy just because something is on sale, but not everyone has $1500 to spend on a bag, so a sale is their only chance at getting a bag they want (no one needs these bags:shame:smile:.

Given the idea of supply and demand, and the consumer revolt against expensive bags...do you think the prices will actually go down one day? There was that article about what "luxury" means -- and that because average people can afford LV, for instance, that luxury now means other things. Hence, you get the wait list at Hermes for a $15,000 bag, meaning: money isn't enough, you even have to wait or know someone. I am discovering lower brand bags, equally brilliant, like Furla. And from reading a post on tpf, I see that Cole Haan has copied a Furla design...so you can get the trickle down theory. If you have good taste, you can get it for less, if you don't need the fancy label. What I want is good workmanship. I don't need the label.

Gosh girls, I have been reading every post in this thread and I could have written every one of them! I totally agree with everyone's comments and I really believe that it is a happy addiction that we all share.

I am trying to curb my addiction and be totally happy with the bags that I have which are many, but the thrill of the hunt and the joyous feeling I have when I see one that just speaks to my heart is so overpowering! I think I actually start hyperventilating! LOL! Then, after obtaining that one, I start looking for the next one. I wish there was some therapy for this addition. Ha! I justify it by saying to myself that I don't love every bag I see.....only certain ones do that for me. But as another poster said, even if we can afford the bags, we still don't need them and I know I surely don't need them.

Maybe Vlad and Megs should start a new forum for most of us...PAF...which would stand for Purse Addicts Forum. Lol! I would be the first to sign up.

I am totally enjoying this thread!