Loreal Hip Duo Eyeshadows..

shoegal27

sunglass addict
Sep 9, 2007
All those that know me on here, know that I am a MAC FREAK! But because of this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTnJq3KgRiY, I had to run out and get the Duo in Flare. I love this girl, I think she is the best. I also got the duo called Bustling, my CVS was having a BOGO. What do you all think of this brand? Its not MAC, but for the price, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck, as they are very pigmented.

I'm a MAC shadow addict but I do have quite a few of the L'Oreal HIP shadow duos....the whole HIP line is probably my favorite "drugstore" brand. If you can catch them on sale at Ulta, Target, etc., they're definitely worth it.

I have a couple of the HIP pigments. They're nice. I think the shadow duos are very pretty as well, but I don't own any. I agree with SpoiledRotten, HIP (and L'Oreal in general) is one of the better drugstore lines out there.

I have a bunch....as a eyeshadow newbie these are a cheap alternative to some of the higher end brand. I typically only buy them when they are BOGO. The metallic line has some really pretty colors. There are a lot of options but I think I have gotten all of the ones that caught my eye. I have 14 of the duos and 2 pigments I think. The creme liners too. For someone starting out it is a great way to experiment with colors when on a budget

ALL L'oreal HIP products are pretty good quality for their price. I used to be a MAC addict some years ago but have switched brands since. HIP Liquid Lipsticks are pretty cool too.

I stopped by CVS last night and got the duo in "flare" last night. I was so excited about it that I went home and tried it right away. I'm sad to say it just didn't do it for me. The orange wouldn't show up on me at all which is weird because I usually wear warm colors well. The gold color is pretty but didn't seem to go on that easy. Maybe I'm using the wrong brush?? I still consider myself an eyeshadow newbie so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm gonna watch the tut again to see if I missed something. I could have used the wrong brushes too...

^^use a sticky base before applying. I use MAC painterly paint pot, then I put on a cream base in Pearl.. sticks great for me.. Tiffany used a shade stick instead. It is a sticky light colored base so the orange can come through and stick at the same time. I used a 252 brush to pack it on then my 239 for the crease and outer C.. I do a C instead of a V.

Last edited:
shoegal27...I think you may be on to something, lol. I only used a concealer on my lid as a primer. I thought it would work just as well as a cream base would. Now that you say it, the concealer was probably too dark for the orange to show through it.'

Also, I don't have either of those brushes in particular but I used an eco tools brush similar to the 239 for my crease. What I probably missed was the part where you "pack" the orange on the lid with a different brush before applying it to the crease. I will definitely be trying this again because it's just way too pretty to go to waste. Thanks for the tips....

Last edited:
sure no problem.. also try a cream base in a light color, I have MAC Pearl and the orange comes through nicely, in fact I just applied it on now.. I love that orange for the Fall.