Looks Vs. Practicality

L.Vuitton.Freak

Jason W
O.G.
Aug 27, 2011
Hello Bag Lovers,

What is it that you like, looks or practicality???

This does not apply to bags only it also covers shoes, clothes, etc anything

For me I prefer looks so much so i picked a pair of gucci wingtips that were so tight for my toes that when i took them off, my toe nail got caught and i ended up having to rip half my pinky toe nail off in order to save my shoe, or wearing jeans that are so tight that if you wear it for several hours you cant feel your legs anymore ( i know thats not good for me), but it looks good on me...

So what is it looks or practicality....

So far Looks 1, Practicality nil....

Both! I tend to favor practicality (or comfort) over looks, but I really do seek both. I won't wear something, no matter HOW pretty it is, if it's uncomfortable. That being said, I still like to look put together (with my clothes, bags, and shoes) so I try to find the best of both worlds.

For instance, today i'm wearing a shift dress, cardigan, scarf, and flats. I look polished and like I put thought into my outfit, but I am also EXTREMELY comfortable -- which is amazing!

In terms of bags, I used to favors looks looks LOOKS and that really backfired for me. I have found the perfect balance of looks and practicality (at least, for me -- my personal style and needs) in a bag and I couldn't be happier.

^^Same here!

When I was younger I didn't really think about the practical side of things, so I would end up with heels I could barely walk in and bags only big enough to carry a lipstick. Now I try to go for both looks and practicality.

I now look for bags that are big enough to carry my essentials + an umbrella and sunglasses. If all of this doesn't fit, it's a no-no for me. Another thing I'm very careful about now is the weight of the bag. Again, too heavy = no go.

As for shoes: I'm not getting anymore peep-toes. It's mostly cold and rainy here, so what's the point? I only get shoes I can actually wear from now on, so that means getting them in a durable material, a walkable heel and in a closed-toe.

I still like beautiful things, but I'll only get them if they suit my lifestyle. I would absolutely hate for them to just sit in my closet and never get used...

i picked a pair of gucci wingtips that were so tight for my toes that when i took them off, my toe nail got caught and i ended up having to rip half my pinky toe nail off in order to save my shoe,

or wearing jeans that are so tight that if you wear it for several hours you cant feel your legs anymore

I am not one to be judgmental, but sweetie, this is just nuts. It pains me to even thing about it. My DH who is sitting across the room from me, took one look at my face as I read this, and said "are you ok? what's wrong" just based on the look on my face.

I am in the category of looks is the most important thing. I won't consider something if it doesn't look good, but I won't get it if it is not also functional.

It doesn't have to be either/or. It can be both. And you can start with the looks side.

I suspect you are questioning what you are doing, or you wouldn't be posting this.

I am not one to be judgmental, but sweetie, this is just nuts. It pains me to even thing about it. My DH who is sitting across the room from me, took one look at my face as I read this, and said "are you ok? what's wrong" just based on the look on my face.

I am in the category of looks is the most important thing. I won't consider something if it doesn't look good, but I won't get it if it is not also functional.

It doesn't have to be either/or. It can be both. And you can start with the looks side.

I suspect you are questioning what you are doing, or you wouldn't be posting this.

this is exactly what I was thinking. slight discomfort is one thing. reduction of blood flow to the point of numbness for the sake of fashion is plain crazy. and not crazy in a dazzly-fun way. crazy as in you should examine your motives because what you are doing isn't safe.

Really depends on the item. With shoes, looks will always win. I will suffer for a great pair of shoes...no orthopedic shoes here. For bags, looks always attract me but I always regret it if the bag is too small or big, doesn't fit well on the shoulder, is hard to find things in etc. I never wear clothes that are too big or too tight but they have to look good.

Hello Bag Lovers,

What is it that you like, looks or practicality???

This does not apply to bags only it also covers shoes, clothes, etc anything

For me I prefer looks so much so i picked a pair of gucci wingtips that were so tight for my toes that when i took them off, my toe nail got caught and i ended up having to rip half my pinky toe nail off in order to save my shoe, or wearing jeans that are so tight that if you wear it for several hours you cant feel your legs anymore ( i know thats not good for me), but it looks good on me...

So what is it looks or practicality....

So far Looks 1, Practicality nil....
I try go go for pieces that encompass both aspects of practicality and flash...I used to buy just for looks alone...comfort or practicality be damned...but the past few years I've really gotten into the practical side of fashion....just yesterday I was drooling over the new Louboutin "Miramar suede" wedges which have all sorts of funky, awesome colors like light blue, pink, lime green, etc. Instead I talked myself into being more "practical" and ordered the "ron ron patent wedge" in nude...still a 4 inch wedge but a little more practical than the others....trying to find that mix is really important to me...

Add me to the shakes head in disbelief that OP would knowingly do this to yourself. Sweetie, this is not good on so many levels. This type of self destructiveness can only lead to bad things. I understand that it's just fashion and perhaps I am overreacting but this is definitely on a self hatred/destruction continuum and it's best to be as far away from that continuum as possible.

That said, in response to your question, comfort and practicality. I do seek out style and fashion and edginess but not at the expense of comfort or practicality.

I think both should go hand in hand otherwise its not worth the investment, I think that's why it takes so long to research every little detail of a bag, even though it may a appear beautiful at first sight.

Certainly can't wear painful shoes - it would be written all over my face :Push:.

The expectational exception accepted - my Gucci croc/calf-hair/box-leather Secret Flap, sold as a bag but actually just a work of art to be taken out and stroked (when wearing gloves of course) to make my heart beat faster :upsidedown:

Both! I will not wear a bag that I don't think looks good. I try to make sure it is practical enough. I do lean towards looks a little more, though, especially when it comes to shoes! I have hobbled around in a pair of too tight heals, all the while crying to myself "I will never wear these again" & sure enough I wear them again!

I even wear low wedge Cole Haan Nike Air ballerina flats & cool black skinny jeans to work. I work in a kitchen & I have to wear a uniform w/black shoes & pants & am on my toes the whole time. I refuse to wear those black granny practical shoes to work - I even need style there!

3+ in agreement. I guess it's our age. It gives us wisdom. One can look very attractive and be comfortable too ;). In fact, unbeknown to you, discomfort shows on the face. I noticed my feet have been changing. I don't know if they've become wider, but as soon as I wear an uncomfortable pair that squeeze my toes, they end up in the garbage! We're all shapes and sizes and must wear what fits us! You will look much better if you do!

Bags - I need practicability and looks. First it needs to be large enough for me to carry most of my life in and second, it can't be white. I can't deal with babying my bags much.

Shoes - I used to suffer with heels that gave me a lot of pain but just recently, I needed to be off any kind of heels. Knee joint and foot pain problems have literally forced me now in search of comfortable flats and I barely have any!

Clothes - always been a blend of comfort/practicality and looks! I wouldn't sacrifice one for the other!