Looking To Make a Bag for Teh Wife

bigbris1

Jan 12, 2006
Hello all! I made myself a briefcase and was thinking of using the massive amount of leather left over to make a bag for my wife. Looking for some suggestions on what style I should go with. Pictures would work wonders.

Here are some pics of the bag I made for myself (patterned after a Ralph Lauren Purple Label bag). This was my first time doing this. Went from this:
leatherside002.jpg

leatherside002.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/leatherside002.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/leatherside004.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/leatherside003.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/diybag001.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/diybag003.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/diybag004.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/diybag006.jpg

To this:
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/leatherbag2009.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/leatherbag2008.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/leatherbag2002.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/leatherbag2001.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/bagfin004.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/bagfin003.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/bagfin001.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/malverns010.jpg
imgboot.com/thumbs/bigbris1/malverns009.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe it's my browser but I can't see your pictures. If it's the one in your avatar I like it.

Unless you really want the bag to be a surprise I'd ask your wife what size/organization she wants, because that is important to most women - it has to suit what she needs to carry in it (like you'd hate it to be just half a inch too small for her favourite wallet or whatever).

My BF once gave me a piece of paper with

This voucher entitles you to

any bag your heart desires^

Love ***

^ within reason - please

It was a total hit. He has since bought me bags and things but that voucher allowed me to have all the fun of the chase and turned into one of my favourite bags.

Thanks for the replies, yes it is the bag in my avatar, I'll try to fix the pics.

Also, the voucher idea is nice, but she'd actually kill m if I spent more than like 50 bucks on a bag.

I know what she needs to carry (mostly books) and the size it should be. Saw a woman in the elevator at work with a large rectangular bag that was simple but very nice. I could tell it was expensive. Will try to find a similar pic and post it here as I know you ladies will be able to ID it for me.

Thx.

Close up of leather
This is cowboy hide about 5 oz thick
Patterns clicked
Close up after punching the stitch lines
Close up of strip inside (under the handle area on top)
Front, back & sides attached
Fully assembled 1
Fully assembled 2
Fully assembled 3
Fully assembled 4
After some creme wax 1
After some creme wax 2
Made a key holder and after some Lexol & more polish
Finito!

I attached the lock hardware temporarily in these final pics with nails bent inward and have since replaced them with the correct rivets (had to be ordered from the UK).

My father loved the bag so I clicked out a pattern to make one for him and I also clicked out a pattern for a purse for my wife. Bought some natural colored sinew for those (my bag has dark brown stitching) and just have to order hardware (buckles, locks, metal feet, etc.). I will update this thread along the way.

Also, if someone could give me a tip regarding posting pics here I would appreciate that, thanks.

Bristol

Last edited:
This is just gorgeous!
malverns009.jpg

The way to insert the photo to your post is to click on the third icon from the right ("Insert Image") and then paste the URL of the image location. You can't link to a photo until it's on the web, which yours are now.

You can also upload your own photos; click on "Manage Attachments" under Additional Options when you are working on your post.