Looking to get my 1st Tano/leather bag - Want an all-around style, black/grey, rec's?

Raydran

Mar 10, 2009
I'm looking to get my first leather bag -- I thought Tano looked like a good choice instead of catering to something like yet another Coach bag. Would anyone care to recommend a first "starter"? :smile:

Since this will be my 1st, I want either black or grey or close to it -- something very versatile that looks good with a lot of cool-tones. Hopefully nothing too shiny/too patent-like.

I'm also 5'0", if that helps, so I don't want something that would completely 'drown' my small frame!. Big is fine, borderline-suitcase is a no.

Though I've looked around on the boards, I want to ask..

If you had to restart your entire Tano collection all over again -- and had to choose your first bag with the above conditions -- which would it be?.

I'm eyeing the Minilisa (if any are in stock), Postcard from London, Sly Devil and Lingo but haven't seen much about the latter yet.

Suggestions? :smile:

Hi, Raydran! You are right about the Minilisa...it's not going to last for very long. Grey is sold out but espresso is beautiful, too, since you are looking for a neutral colored bag.

Postcard from London in smoke may very well be worth the pre-order and wait.

The Lingo is the Boogie Bucket w/ a zipper closure so it'll be a big bag. (There's plenty of Boogie pics for you to see in our fair subforum :P)

Sly Devil should show up fastest of all (if you decided to skip the Minilisa) and that is a bag that has a shocking capacity in what looks like a small package.

I don't know if I'm helping you make a decision at all but those are my thoughts. Let us know what you pick!! :yes:

Thanks Voodoo! :smile: That's the only thing that bugged me about the Lingo -- sort of looked a bit too big for me.. You may have helped me eliminate one!.

The Minilisa is definitely a contender (the popularity doesn't help), but I wonder whether waiting for one of the new LUX versions is better then the Crunch?. I have no idea what either look like in person -- and with no retailers around here, I'm on the fence.

Is there durability difference between the two, or is the lux really just the crunch "broken in"?.

Hopefully the actual measurements for the London shows up soon, I think those would definitely be helpful!.

.. along with some real life photos of Sly Devil and London. Then I'd be one happy camper. haha :biggrin:

Thank you Tyger!

I just noticed somewhere I might be able to get a black Minilisa. Do you think the Lux leather is really worth waiting for the smoke Postcard from London, instead?.

I have to say, even the Timber on the London is really getting to me.. But I just don't know if that colour would be all-around!.

I like that Postcard from London too :biggrin: But like you, would like to see the measurements before I make a commitment. The Immeasurable is a nice size bag if you're looking for something not too big. And of the new bella leather bags, the Case in Point looks like a nice size as well.

Joan

I really love the look of the sexbomb -- especially all of the silver hardware. And it's light and comfortable. The black is super sexy, but Tano expert said it's going to be made in smoke Lux.

Thank you Tyger!

I just noticed somewhere I might be able to get a black Minilisa. Do you think the Lux leather is really worth waiting for the smoke Postcard from London, instead?.

I have to say, even the Timber on the London is really getting to me.. But I just don't know if that colour would be all-around!.

Somewhere on the forum there are some pictures posted of the London Diary (do I have the name right?) which is the predecessor to Postcard from London. If you can find that post, you can get an idea of size. My impression was that it was a smaller bag than most Tanos, and a good size to carry around. Right now I can't find that thread of the index, but if I find it, I will post it for you later.

Welcome Raydran!
Based on your criteria, I think I would get an Immeasurable or a Sex Bomb.

Also, the "shine" on the crunch is not patent-like at all and tends to disappear as the bag breaks in. For instance, check out the pics here of my Mona Lethal (brand new) compared to my Minilisa (used very often for about a year) http://forum.purseblog.com/tano/a-lethal-shot-of-espresso-497611.html

The Minilisa started out looking very similar to the Mona Lethal. If I condition her, it'll restore some of the luster but not that crisp shininess. In her defense, the poor thing gets tossed around quite a lot and has been worn 10x more than my other bags, at least. I think she needs some lovin' soon.

Lux is not the Crunch broken in, but it is a bit softer than Crunch at the start (though not as soft as puddle-y broken in Crunch).

Also, I'm about 5'3 and the Boogie doesn't look huge on me.

Since you've never seen a Tano IRL I recommend that wherever you buy from, you choose somewhere with a good return policy just in case you don't love the bag.

I'm 5'2" and the Boogie is large, but does not look crazy big on me. I LOVE that bag and have two colors of The Lingo on preorder. I also think the Postcard From London in Smoke looks amazing.

Somewhere on the forum there are some pictures posted of the London Diary (do I have the name right?) which is the predecessor to Postcard from London. If you can find that post, you can get an idea of size. My impression was that it was a smaller bag than most Tanos, and a good size to carry around. Right now I can't find that thread of the index, but if I find it, I will post it for you later.

Yeah, I have the london diary in pomegranate... it is a smaller-ish bag; a bit smaller than the minilisa in terms of capacity.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 68
Wow, still gorgeous!

Jeez.. I thought I was fairly close on at least LEANING towards a decision, but I'm starting to fall in love with all these colours. :P Part of me is starting to care less and less about 'practicality'.

(Sounds silly but) I know I am way over my head when I start 'picturing' myself with every bag.. Usually I only do that to ones that really hit me, but I can completely see myself with any of them!.

Random aside.. I know MHB looks like the way to go when purchasing, but is "That's our bag" an okay place to purchase from too?. If I go one route, I might have to end up at That's Our Bag -- even though I really rather bring my business to MHB, judging by the wonderful customer service so far.. :sad:

You're all killing me. :lol:

Raydran, I've never purchased from TOB myself but they are definitely a reputable retailer. Many tPF ladies have purchased from them, and they're both legit and safe.

Sidenote: I always say it to myself as That Sour Bag. Can't help it. :lol:

Part of the problem is Tano colors are all so amazing that you can't pick just one. But I'd say like 70% (if not more) can be carried year round I think a lot of their purples can be great neutrals too. But honestly the black is to die for; the most incredible black EVER haha. So if you want a "classic" neutral my vote would be for black - that never goes out of style!