Looking To Get Into Some Great Reading!

Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin.

I read Da Vinci code straight off without reading the other Dan Browns & it was fine.

Gosh! keep going blank thinking of books ! Its really weird cos I read all the time. hummm, Ill have another think :biggrin:

This is a great thread! Keep em coming!

My suggestions are:
anything by VC Andrews.
anything by Chuck Palaniuk (author of Fight Club, Survivor, Haunted, Invisible Monsters, Diary, etc - you cant go wrong with his writing)
anything by Dean Koontz
anything by Mary Higgins Clark
The series "Clan of the Cave Bear" her most recent addition came out last year (i think - maybe the year before either way I love them) Many of you probably remember the movie they came out with back in the day based off the first novel - they just keep getting better and better.

As you can tell I tend to fall in love with Authors as opposed to individual books....

I agree with the suggestions for :
Dan Brown
Anne Rice

The Historian
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Darwin's Radio
Darwin's Children

Those are all heavy reads. For a light read:

Of course, Bridget Jones Diary
Can you Keep a Secret

I read alot!

I just read two great books this week, they were:

1) Brick Lane - Monica Ali. I liked this because it was a bit different to the usual chick lit that I read and it was interesting to get an insight into another culture.

2) Cafe Tropicana - Belinda Jones. I love Belinda Jones and this one is probably my favourite book of hers so far. It totally made me want to visit Costa Rica!

Sue Grafton books
Patricia Cornwell books
Mary Higgins Clark books
The Fashion Mystery series by Ellen Byerrum
Cece Caruso Mysteries by Susan Kandel
Bailey Weggins Mysteries by Kate White
The Tea Shop Mystery series by Laura Childs
The Scrapbooking Mystery series by Laura Childs
The Coffeehouse Mystery series by Cleo Coyle
The Pet-Sitter Mystery series by Linda O. Johnson
The Knitting Mystery series by Maggie Sefton
The Flower Shop Mystery series by Kate Collins

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
Little Children by Tom Perrotta
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I was gonna recommend the same books as northernbelle33! (Harry Potter, Prep, Memoirs of a Geisha, and The Lovely Bones) So, now for my revised list!!!!

1. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (also, Rebel Angels -- the second book)
2. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
3. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
4. Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

I love reading!!! :love:

I've read all of Dan Browns books, loved them, but my favourite is Angels & Demons.

I recently read Velocity by Dean Koontz. It's a mystery/thriller/murder type novel. I couldn't put it down once I start reading.. I kept wanting to continue.. the suspense was killing me!

My favorites are romantic suspense novels by Mary Stewart (excellent writing - her best novels were written in the 50s and 60s) - "This Rough Magic" and "Nine Coaches Waiting" are two great reads - and Regencies by Georgette Heyer.

As for humour, this is IMHO an American humour classic:

Leo Rosten's "The Education of Hyman Kaplan" - it's hilarious!

twiggers said:
Just finished reading a great James Patterson book called "The Beach House"

Great lawyer/suspense book :smile:

My mom, dad, AND sister all read this book and couldn't put it down. I'm anxious to see if it's any good.

This summer I've read more books that I didn't like more than those that I do. I've tried to get through Wicked but I just can't seem to get absorbed in it. Water for Elephants was a nice light read.

Nonetheless, my favorites are The Kite Runner, Crime and Punishment, Vengance, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, Angels & Demons, The Davinci Code, and The Brothers Karamazov. I tend to gravitate toward heavier books

I haven't had the time to read as much as I'd like to lately..but my current favourites are the Harry Potter Series, The Shopaholic Series, & The Devil Wears Prada. I'm currently reading Devil Wears Prada..but I'm almost done. It's one of those books which will keep you interested from beginning to end.

Next on my list is Everyone Worth Knowing and The House of Gucci (which I heard was really good)

OMG, I didn't know that Jean Auel had a new book out, and for a year already?!?

I agree, Angels and Demons was much better than the DaVinci Code.

And yes, Wicked was difficult to get in to... can't say that I enjoyed it.