Looking to buy my first LV

kenzibray

Aug 28, 2012
So my New Year's resolution is to save up and buy my very first LV (or Chanel) not 100% decided yet but I'm leaning towards LV because I think it's a little more do-able.

I have kind of been browsing on Bonanza and debating whether to buy pre-owned or new.

My choice would be a Neverfull. Looks like they are around $700-$800 pre owned. What do they usually run brand new?

What has everyone's experiences been with pre-owned.

I've had some great buys on other designers through Bonanza, eBay, Poshmark. Usually Rebecca Minkoff, but they haven't really been hit with the fakes that the more established higher end brands do. And I'm not as experienced in what to look for.

So my New Year's resolution is to save up and buy my very first LV (or Chanel) not 100% decided yet but I'm leaning towards LV because I think it's a little more do-able.

I have kind of been browsing on Bonanza and debating whether to buy pre-owned or new.

My choice would be a Neverfull. Looks like they are around $700-$800 pre owned. What do they usually run brand new?

What has everyone's experiences been with pre-owned.

I've had some great buys on other designers through Bonanza, eBay, Poshmark. Usually Rebecca Minkoff, but they haven't really been hit with the fakes that the more established higher end brands do. And I'm not as experienced in what to look for.
They run $800-$900 new before tax, depending which size you like. :smile:

Neverfull prices:
PM: $800
MM: $850
GM: $900

I bought a new preloved GM mono NF from Yoogis but ended up returning it because it felt too big on me.....I've bought tons of preloved bags and SLGs from Yoogis Closet..they are the best!

If the price difference between new & used is that small, and it's your first one, I would buy it new. Just my opinion but you should get the whole experience at least once!! I'm totally pro used but I'm a cheap-arse and I like to get at least a 30% discount for my trouble or I'd rather buy new :noworry:

There isn't a big price difference between new & used. The GM new is $900. If it's your first bag, then I think you should make it a memorable experience and visit an LV boutique to buy your bag :biggrin:

If the price difference between new & used is that small, and it's your first one, I would buy it new. Just my opinion but you should get the whole experience at least once!! I'm totally pro used but I'm a cheap-arse and I like to get at least a 30% discount for my trouble or I'd rather buy new :noworry:
I totally agree! When I am deciding on pre-loved vs. new, I always look at the price difference. If it is only $100 or so, I would probably just by new.

It does seem that the NF's have some of the best resale values so the prices on this bag may be closer to a new one, as compared to other styles. If you are patient and keep looking though you may be able to find a great price on one that is in good condition.
Good luck!

I honestly didn't realize that a new one was that close. For some reason I was expecting some outrageous price. As most of you have said, I will probably just hold out and buy new!

A lot of times when I buy pre-owned for Rebecca Minkoff its because some of her older leathers & colors are more appealing to me than the newer ones. But with LV, you don't really have that.

I had calculated how much I spent on other designers like Rebecca Minkoff, MBMJ, Michael Kors, or Coach in the past year or so, and I could have bought several LV's. I don't know why, but I had just shelved them on this unobtainable level in my brain.

So my goal this year is to hold off on most purse buying and save up for the big one!

Thank You everyone for your help!

I honestly didn't realize that a new one was that close. For some reason I was expecting some outrageous price. As most of you have said, I will probably just hold out and buy new!

A lot of times when I buy pre-owned for Rebecca Minkoff its because some of her older leathers & colors are more appealing to me than the newer ones. But with LV, you don't really have that.

I had calculated how much I spent on other designers like Rebecca Minkoff, MBMJ, Michael Kors, or Coach in the past year or so, and I could have bought several LV's. I don't know why, but I had just shelved them on this unobtainable level in my brain.

So my goal this year is to hold off on most purse buying and save up for the big one!

I'm guilty of that too!!!

I'm like that too! I have a R. Minkoff flame and I love it just never use it...I love the stud detailing and the way it fits but for some reason always grab a LV..

I get that .... I was really into Coach for about 20 years, and had one LV Speedy. Once I really got into LV and started collecting more of them, I was just over the Coach bags. I do find that LV's have a much better resale value as well.

I'm like that too! I have a R. Minkoff flame and I love it just never use it...I love the stud detailing and the way it fits but for some reason always grab a LV..

I get that .... I was really into Coach for about 20 years, and had one LV Speedy. Once I really got into LV and started collecting more of them, I was just over the Coach bags. I do find that LV's have a much better resale value as well.

I have several RMs and they are great bags. I love it because they're still kind of under the radar. I have a couple of Coach bags but I've sold most of mine because I got tired of having the same thing as everyone else. I'm from a small town in Indiana and almost all the girls I know go all googly eyed for Coach and that's their idea of a designer bag. The next step up is LV or Chanel but they just don't seem to know or care about anything else in between.

I still love my RMs and will continue to love them. One thing that's great is there aren't many fakers out there for RM (yet)

But I think its time for one upscale bag. My wallet will hate me if I start collecting them. But my goal this year is a Neverful MM & matching wallet of some sorts.

I have several RMs and they are great bags. I love it because they're still kind of under the radar. I have a couple of Coach bags but I've sold most of mine because I got tired of having the same thing as everyone else. I'm from a small town in Indiana and almost all the girls I know go all googly eyed for Coach and that's their idea of a designer bag. The next step up is LV or Chanel but they just don't seem to know or care about anything else in between.

I still love my RMs and will continue to love them. One thing that's great is there aren't many fakers out there for RM (yet)

But I think its time for one upscale bag. My wallet will hate me if I start collecting them. But my goal this year is a Neverful MM & matching wallet of some sorts.

I think the NF is a great place to start.... classic, yet modern looking. Also, a good entry price point~:biggrin:

I think I've decided on MM as far as the size goes.

But I haven't decided between Monogram or the Damier Ebene.

The DE is what initially drew my attention but the more I look the more I'm thinking Monogram. It is the classic afterall.

My only hang up is, I think my fiance's sister has the same one (I know, kind of silly reason..) I think her NF is Monogram and I believe she has a speedy as well and it's DE.

As you will probably hear people say, owning the DE is wonderful because the handles don't darken, so it will stay looking newer much longer, and hence have a slightly better resale value. However, the Monogram is definitely a classic. You just have to be okay with it showing its years with the vachetta.

Depending on how much you think you're going to use it, I'd recommend looking at pre-loved ones on ebay to see how they're holding up in the different styles. If it's an every day bag, I've seen ones from 2007 and 2008 with the vachetta looking dark and really beaten up, but the DE ones with the same wear look much better.

Just scope it out to help you decide, then go to LV and buy it there for your first time. Clearly, you can always resell later and put the $ toward your next one!

As you will probably hear people say, owning the DE is wonderful because the handles don't darken, so it will stay looking newer much longer, and hence have a slightly better resale value. However, the Monogram is definitely a classic. You just have to be okay with it showing its years with the vachetta.

Depending on how much you think you're going to use it, I'd recommend looking at pre-loved ones on ebay to see how they're holding up in the different styles. If it's an every day bag, I've seen ones from 2007 and 2008 with the vachetta looking dark and really beaten up, but the DE ones with the same wear look much better.

Just scope it out to help you decide, then go to LV and buy it there for your first time. Clearly, you can always resell later and put the $ toward your next one!
This is good advice ~ a little research before you go into the store goes a long way! I have the MM in mono.... if you store it in the dust bag when not in use, the leather will stay a lot nicer. Some of those you see that are all beat up are not well maintained.

That being said, the DE is very pretty too. Try both on in the store and see which one speaks to you! :smile: