looking inward

Do you ever feel guilty about buying hermes? The bags are undeniably expensive and I think we all have experienced what an obsession it can become. Do your friends or husbands ever get annoyed with your shallow obsessing? Do you ever have buyers remorse? discuss:

No, I never feel guilty because I only buy things that I can afford. I am lucky that not many of my friends are aware of this brand.

The only buyer's remorse I've ever had with Hermes is I didn't buy the Evelyne GM Rouge H Crinoline that I saw at the Hermes store in Bangkok. I've never seen this bag again ever since and crinoline bags are near-to-imposssible to get now.

I don't flaunt either, I love how they are very discreet, that's reason #1.

Reason #2 why I don't feel guilty at all... you have to love what you love without hesitation (that's what Sass & Bide puts on the inside of their clothes).

I have always seen the reason why things cost more than others, craftsmanship, individuality, and they are hard to attain (much to the dismay of my penny-pinching bio dad). I believe if you are willing to be an individual in all sense of the word, you must buy unique pieces. I love that Hermes offers so many different leathers/colors, even bespoke so that you can totally create the bag that is you.

I feel guilty for obsessing over it. I buy it because of its beauty and I justify it by telling my husband its an investment. I talk to my husband about H, and it makes me love him even more that he supports me in my quest for my Birkin.
None of my friends or family know about my Kelly or other H purchases. I like that they don't know the price. And they definitely will NOT know about the Birkin I will someday own. :yes:

Absolutely no regrets here. I've purchased all my handbags with my own hard earned money. And how I choose to spend my money is my business.

Like SM, I take very good care of my friends and family, am an excellent wife, give to charity, etc. So if I want to spoil myself w/ an expensive bag, so be it.

My friends IRL wouldn't really get 'it', I catch enough comments from people about how much Coach I own at a young age, even though it is relatively easy to attain and many many people younger than me (i.e. still in high school or college) have a lot of it as gifts from parents.
Hermes would be extremely unrecognizable here, if I were to ever have some of it. Maybe people would be uncomfortable if they ever found out about the future H I plan on attaining, in terms of how much it cost. But like other people have said, we all pay our life's dues and some of those dues are very hard. I've had a rough couple of years, and by the time I finish my first deployment I will probably have another rough year under the belt. Everyone deserves some form of luxury, however they define it for themselves.

I enjoy nice things, but I want to buy nice things that are an investment - a Chanel suit, an Hermes bag, etc. Things that will always have a special memory for me because of how hard I will have to work in order to get them. If I save little bits here and there I can attain whatever Coach I want more easily, but the more I get the less I think I am appreciative of it.

So I think I do need to step back and realize that I am fortunate to have what I do have, no matter how little or lots it seems to other people, and that I am not wrong for wanting other things that may cost a little more.

I am trying harder to do an RAOK here and there to spread the joy, I don't think that happens enough. The lady who is training me at my new job works very hard and had kids at a young age and has never had anything 'nice.' Her eyes popped when I showed her some things from Coach, and she really really likes frogs, so I found a little frog keyfob that I think I will give to her. Her first Coach! Things like that make me happy in life. :smile:

^ Forgot to add that both my friends and family are aware of my collection and don't really care (nor refer to me as being shallow).

I'm not the type to flaunt things and in fact adore that about Hermes - how it's incognito and anti-logo.

ITA with Candace117. Even though i don't care for coach (way too many people have it, and I don't like logoes) I get what she's saying. It's all about doing what you desire deepest in your heart. It's almost like wanting to have a certain vocation, it's something you need to do to feel complete. I know that sounds shallow, but I take such pride in all my bags/clothes/jewlery that I wouldn't be the same person without it.

I also believe in the RAOK and not because of this forum. It is very true about what goes around, comes around and if you do nice things for people, you will be rewarded. Just read "The Secret". We are not wrong for obsessing, it's how we attract the things we desire to ourselves.

No remorse for me.....I've purchase every piece with my own money and all after I've taken care of everyone else first. Life is short and time flies.....I've been a nuturing and compassionate mother (and that never stops), a caring and loving SO, a dutiful daughter. Time for me now.....no regrets or remorse.

This is how I feel, too. I don't talk to my family about H stuff except DH who is OK with it all. I have 2-3 friends I can mention it to but I try to not be too obsessive in their company.

Well it's my money, but I do feel guilty for spending so much moolah on a bloody bag! I mean, we are saving for a better future... but I'm still planing on a rainbow of birkins/kellys/scarves/crocs! I could have put it all in investments or some other worthy thing.

The DH would say, whatever we are spending NOW is our future's money... whatever that means... but it does sound deep. And I would be like :P:lol::whistle::shame::devil:

Well, anyway I have decided to slow it down. I was wanting to come into H with a blaze of glory, but I don't have the guts to blow it all. (at once) :devil:

I think the bottom line is it sounds like all of you ladies that own H are grateful that you are able to have H, whether you can buy it in abundance or you save forever to get one special piece. :smile: