Chanel Costume Jewelry Quality

I have tons (not kidding) of Chanel costume jewellery. You really pay for what you get - some of the expensive pieces are really very well made.

I would avoid faux pearls because they turn yellow after a while. But there are other pieces which are very pretty. Small bits and pieces do tend to fall off but then Chanel usually fixes it for me for free. Go for special designs. Also, some pieces are very difficult to imitate because the cost is just not worth it. So actually there are fewer fakes than handbags. Do your research and you cannot go wrong.

Oh my goodness! I just invested in 2 beautiful brand-new, single strand, long Chanel necklaces. Both are very different from one another, however, both DO contain some form of "white pearls". Sadly, are these bad choices? :sad: And I should be avoiding Chanel necklaces with "white pearls" for fear of them turning yellow over time? Any/all information, suggestions, advice ... are greatly appreciated. ✨

I have not worn them, tags are still intact, and since they arrived yesterday and today, I still have time to return/exchange.

Oh my goodness! I just invested in 2 beautiful brand-new, single strand, long Chanel necklaces. Both are very different from one another, however, both DO contain some form of "white pearls". Sadly, are these bad choices? :sad: And I should be avoiding Chanel necklaces with "white pearls" for fear of them turning yellow over time? Any/all information, suggestions, advice ... are greatly appreciated. ✨

I have not worn them, tags are still intact, and since they arrived yesterday and today, I still have time to return/exchange.
I have Chanel white pearls and they look as white as they did the years years they were purchased. One is 10 years old. Wear them enjoy them smiling!

Fragrance is the enemy. Spray before you put on your necklace/s. Overtime fragrance will eventually turn white pearls yellow and ruin the finish of any other pearls. It troubles me that SA's do not always give this advice to customers. Chanel should include care instructions in the box

+1
Absolutely. Even, perspiration, body lotion - anything that touches pearls. My pearl CC jewelry has held up just beautiful and like my real pearls, I use a soft damp cloth to remove any of my body oils if I have been wearing them touching my bare skin.

Reactions: amateurjeweler
Thank u for sharing! I agree especially for some very unique pieces, the design is absolutely gorgeous. I own only a few pieces of Chanel cj but all are head turners.
I know this is an old thread but I thought it was very interesting.I am a big fan of costume jewelry, and I own real ️️jewelry as well. It depends on each person's opinion, but for me i think that costume jewelry can have very beautiful designs not found in real jewelry. I'm just imagining if my costume jewelry collection was made of gold and precious stones with all the elaborate details, it would cost $$$$$$. I would love to add some chanel costume jewelry. I love some of their designs. And as far as I know, they hold their value pretty well. That being said, once I build a nice collection, I don't think I would want to only buy costume jewelry!

Last edited:
Read some responses and agree with both sides. I'm on the fence too but I only own three pairs of Chanel CJ earrings and no other types of CJ jewelry (Tiffanys doesn't count does it?). I wear beautiful pearls every day that cost more than twice the amount of Chanel CJ earrings and a diamond pendant necklace but on nice occasion I actually wear my Chanel CJ earrings and a stylish Tiffanys necklace (my favorite is the lariat necklace right now).

So in summary...is it worth it based on materials? No. Is it worth it because they're stylish and more glam than my "real" jewelry? Yes. My Chanel CJ earrings and Tiffany's bracelet/bangles and necklaces really add a special touch that I would buy in "real" jewelry because I want my real expensive items to be very classic and timeless.

I debated this issue for a while and now I happily own a necklace, earrings, and a brooch. Now I want to buy at least one more pair of earrings and another brooch. Why? The pure satisfaction of wearing them. I love the way they look. [emoji7]

Reactions: Wittygirl
I own one pair of the CC earrings and don't plan on more. I love them but don't wear them much. My next purchase will be a brooch. I always admire the long pearl and logo necklaces on others, but they are a bit "showy" for my taste. Maybe I'll change my mind. I think if you love Chanel CJ, then it's worth it to you! I think the brooches could become addictive. They are stunning!

Reviving this thread! Would like to know if the thoughts are still the same now.

Have been wanting to buy a necklace but was told about the not too fantastic quality about their CJ. Did some research here and found this thread!

Chanel costume jewelry (if it’s not super dated) is cute and imo usually holds its value just as good or better than real jewelry.

I’ve always resold any Chanel costume jewelry from my collection for profit, break even or a tiny loss, which is more than I could say for any real gold jewelry I’ve owned.

But I don’t want to get carried away with spenting too much attention on costume jewelry - I’d rather focus on building my Cartier collection :drool:

I don't have many pieces, just 3 pearl long necklaces, 2 shorter pedants, and 3 brooches. You don't buy Chanel costume jewellery for it's materials rather you are paying for the designs. I use them almost every day and I think they are very good value to brighten up an outfit! I do already have a well established fine jewellery collection which I wear mixed with my Chanel costume jewellery.