Looking into buying first piece of Cartier

AestHetiC

I <3 Rain
O.G.
May 23, 2006
Hi ladies!

This is actually my first time lurking around the Jewelry section of tpf. I'm normally not much of a jewelry gal but just started to get intrigued by the Cartier Love collection. I'm still shocked by the prices of the pieces (way out of my budget at the moment but definitely not saying they don't look worth it) so i was thinking of getting a love collection ring as my starter piece. I was looking at a few and I actually like the size of the wedding band but is it weird that i'll be asking for the wedding band to buy for myself? :P
Also, I live in the los angeles area, where is the best Cartier boutique or authorized retailer with good service? I'd like to be able to try on the actual ring if possible to see how it looks on my finger.
Also, are there retailers i'd be able to order from online after I try on the ring? Out of California retailers would be great too, would be nice if i could avoid paying the ~10% sales tax. :P

Lastly i'm asian with a light but yellow complexion, do you guys think the yellow gold would look to old for a 26 year old or too clashy with my skin tone?

Sorry for all the questions! This is my first time even considering buying a piece of jewelry for over $200 for myself and with a hefty $1k price tag, i wanna be sure i make the right choice. lol. :biggrin:

TIA for all the help!

Welcome!!!
I would say go to the Cartier website, they list a bunch of shops in your area. I don't think that you will be able to avoid the sales tax unless you physically go to an out of state shop and buy it... Wherever Cartier ships is how they determine tax. As for skin tone,I am not Asian, but I do have yellow undertones and yellow gold looks great on me! Rose gold looks bad on me though...
I would go to your local Cartier and try some rings on, it is the best way to figure out the color gold you want.
Hope that helps!

Hi ladies!

This is actually my first time lurking around the Jewelry section of tpf. I'm normally not much of a jewelry gal but just started to get intrigued by the Cartier Love collection. I'm still shocked by the prices of the pieces (way out of my budget at the moment but definitely not saying they don't look worth it) so i was thinking of getting a love collection ring as my starter piece. I was looking at a few and I actually like the size of the wedding band but is it weird that i'll be asking for the wedding band to buy for myself? :P
Also, I live in the los angeles area, where is the best Cartier boutique or authorized retailer with good service? I'd like to be able to try on the actual ring if possible to see how it looks on my finger.
Also, are there retailers i'd be able to order from online after I try on the ring? Out of California retailers would be great too, would be nice if i could avoid paying the ~10% sales tax. :P

Lastly i'm asian with a light but yellow complexion, do you guys think the yellow gold would look to old for a 26 year old or too clashy with my skin tone?

Sorry for all the questions! This is my first time even considering buying a piece of jewelry for over $200 for myself and with a hefty $1k price tag, i wanna be sure i make the right choice. lol. :biggrin:

TIA for all the help!

I am Asian too and also more fair. I have the yg love bracelet and I love it and am 25. I don't feel like it makes me look older/mature because yg is so classic. Their rose gold is beautiful too but it kinda blended in with my skin tone while the yg really stood out. But try on all the different metals to see what you like best.

I don't think it's weird to buy yourself a ring. For one, I think it's just a description and am pretty sure it is not always used or is specifically for use as a wedding band. I buy myself jewelry all the time ;)

Secondly, for boutiques, I've been to the one on rodeo (where I got my bracelet from), topanga and costa Mesa (scp). I like topanga customer service the best (but haven't gone back for over a year), scp then rodeo. I only got my bracelet from Rodeo because they are closer to me and have a master engraver onsite and can engrave items in a few day's turn around vs. the other boutiques, who have to send them out which takes at least 2 weeks. So rodeo is the best for getting engravings done. If you want really exceptional service and a great first time Cartier boutique experience, go to topanga.

I know some saks and neimans have Cartier, but I know most Cartier been phased out of department stores. I think, but am not positive that the neimans at fashion island in newport has Cartier. From what I understand, Cartier does not have authorized dealers for their jewelry, only for their watches, and I hear they are getting fewer and farther in between.

Finally, I don't think you can get around the tax unless you go to a Cartier boutique in a tax free state or you buy it online and have it shipped to an address in a state that does not have a boutique. This is just my understanding, maybe someone else will chip in :smile:

I have the love ring in yellow gold and I think it looks best on asian skin. I don't think it's just used as a wedding band, in fact I wear mine on the middle finger of my right hand...it's my go-to every day ring.

Mine is RG love ring. I also dilemma when to chose between RG, YG, and WG. But the SA and people in TPF (thank u ladies) suggest me to get the RG. WG will turn yellowish for long time used. RG and YG won't cause they are gold and classy. HTH! I love the color of RG, not too pink and soft :smile: