Looking for travel bag: Small or Mini Puzzle?

Best bag for travel?

• Total voters

janejane

O.G.
Jan 4, 2008
I am curious as to which size Loewe Puzzle bag would be recommended for overseas travel- small or mini. I'd be planning on putting the bag inside a large tote for the plane ride and then using it for daytime touring and walking. I saw the Puzzle mentioned and was looking at the small size to fit a mini water bottle and umbrella and there, but I'm not sure if it would be too bulky for walking around all day cross body. I am 5' 5".

I like the Puzzle because it seems lightweight and under the radar. I could use it for walking around all day, then take the shoulder strap off and take it to dinner with the top handle.

Also any thoughts on black versus tan?

Very open to other travel bag recommendations, that I can also use as an everyday bag at home.

loewe-puzzle-bag-291127-1610729251105-main.700x0c.jpg

I'm not a Loewe bag sort of person but I admire the craftsmanship and leather quality. (was at Loewe yesterday actually haha)

Picturing it in my mind, if you wanted a water bottle or small umbrella, the small makes more sense.
I'm about your height, and I don't think a small would be too bulky on you.

Are you more of a minimalist travel person? Or do you tend to carry more when you travel?

When I travel I prefer a bigger "small" bag or medium/small bag because I tend to bring more stuff than I usually would (on a normal day out at home).
I generally carry when I travel: passport, wallet, sunglasses, a local map (or subway map), cell phone battery pack w/ cable, a hat or scarf (depends on the weather and country), and water bottle.
That's quite a bit of stuff.
Butttt, you're not me so, you may not carry as much as I do when traveling haha. :P

I also recommend longchamp for travel, they are under the radar, lightweight, and durable.
I use them for work and travel.

• Insightful
Reactions: frenziedhandbag
I would also at least take the small puzzle. I barely get my essentials into the small one, containing compact coin purse, mini umbrella, passport, tissue papers, desinfectant. I guess I could fit a small water bottle, but if I put more into it, it gets difficult to get something out because of the small opening. But that is also me.
For travel I like additional space for if I buy something or take some food with me. Small puzzle would be minimus size. I usually would prefer a slightly bigger bag with a size like the small hammock or a LV Speedy 30.

But if you are a minimalist a mini might work, too. So that is totally up to you.

I'm not a Loewe bag sort of person but I admire the craftsmanship and leather quality. (was at Loewe yesterday actually haha)

Picturing it in my mind, if you wanted a water bottle or small umbrella, the small makes more sense.
I'm about your height, and I don't think a small would be too bulky on you.

Are you more of a minimalist travel person? Or do you tend to carry more when you travel?

When I travel I prefer a bigger "small" bag or medium/small bag because I tend to bring more stuff than I usually would (on a normal day out at home).
I generally carry when I travel: passport, wallet, sunglasses, a local map (or subway map), cell phone battery pack w/ cable, a hat or scarf (depends on the weather and country), and water bottle.
That's quite a bit of stuff.
Butttt, you're not me so, you may not carry as much as I do when traveling haha. :P

I also recommend longchamp for travel, they are under the radar, lightweight, and durable.
I use them for work and travel.
I think the bag aesthetic has grown on me, as I've tried and returned pretty looking bags that just weren't practical. This bag seems like it scores high marks for practicality and usability. I have not yet seen in person though I have seen that the leather quality is very good.. Would definitely order from somewhere that allows returns.

I like to carry more than the essentials when I'm out for the whole day, just like you.. In the past I've had a mini backpack that I make my husband carry. But I figure it's time to be more self sufficient hehe.

I have a large Longchamp Planetes - perhaps a crossbody would be good for traveling. I like that they are waterproof. Any particular models you like? I browsed their site and it is a bit confusing with the new Le Pliage lines (Neo, City, Green, Energy).

I would also at least take the small puzzle. I barely get my essentials into the small one, containing compact coin purse, mini umbrella, passport, tissue papers, desinfectant. I guess I could fit a small water bottle, but if I put more into it, it gets difficult to get something out because of the small opening. But that is also me.
For travel I like additional space for if I buy something or take some food with me. Small puzzle would be minimus size. I usually would prefer a slightly bigger bag with a size like the small hammock or a LV Speedy 30.

But if you are a minimalist a mini might work, too. So that is totally up to you.
Oh good to know. The Speedy is nice because it'd be waterproof in DE. I just prefer to carry no logos when traveling in foreign countries.

I guess the mini size is out - that makes things easier.

The tan is overwhelmingly preferred over black in the poll so far. I guess because the lighter color shows off the design more? I do like traveling in black though. Wish I could see these bags in person.

I have the small puzzle in black and use it as my daily bag and was planning to try using it as a travel bag (but haven't actually taken it on any trips yet). My reasoning was that it's lightweight, folds down relatively flat, handles rain well, and fits a pretty good amount of stuff. I'm a bit taller than you (~5'7") but I don't find the bag to be too bulky for walking around all day at all. I've been able to squeeze all sorts of things into my bag while out running errands (a full can of Pringles, miscellaneous drug store items, a not super compact umbrella with some of the handle sticking out the top, etc). I find the small to be even a bit big for what I carry on a daily basis (cardholder, keys, AirPods, some cash, a folded up reusable bag, hand sanitizer, sometimes sunglasses) so I think it would be great for travel just based on what I tend to carry. I recently got the tan in mini and really like the color but would probably choose to stick with my black for travel since it's a bit more discrete and the size would work better for what I want to carry.

1675457376653.png

For non-Loewe bag recommendations, I travelled with bag like this a few months ago and really enjoyed it. The open top did make me a bit nervous about pickpocketing but I was always wearing the bag super close to my body (either crossbody or under my shoulder) so I felt like that helped. The bag was super spacious for fitting in all sorts of souvenirs I picked up while traveling since it was very malleable and things could stick out the top if I overstuffed it. Not sure if this is your style at all, just thought I would throw this out there!

I have the small puzzle in black and use it as my daily bag and was planning to try using it as a travel bag (but haven't actually taken it on any trips yet). My reasoning was that it's lightweight, folds down relatively flat, handles rain well, and fits a pretty good amount of stuff. I'm a bit taller than you (~5'7") but I don't find the bag to be too bulky for walking around all day at all. I've been able to squeeze all sorts of things into my bag while out running errands (a full can of Pringles, miscellaneous drug store items, a not super compact umbrella with some of the handle sticking out the top, etc). I find the small to be even a bit big for what I carry on a daily basis (cardholder, keys, AirPods, some cash, a folded up reusable bag, hand sanitizer, sometimes sunglasses) so I think it would be great for travel just based on what I tend to carry. I recently got the tan in mini and really like the color but would probably choose to stick with my black for travel since it's a bit more discrete and the size would work better for what I want to carry.

View attachment 5708459

For non-Loewe bag recommendations, I travelled with bag like this a few months ago and really enjoyed it. The open top did make me a bit nervous about pickpocketing but I was always wearing the bag super close to my body (either crossbody or under my shoulder) so I felt like that helped. The bag was super spacious for fitting in all sorts of souvenirs I picked up while traveling since it was very malleable and things could stick out the top if I overstuffed it. Not sure if this is your style at all, just thought I would throw this out there!
Great to hear from someone who owns the Puzzle in black. You made me chuckle thinking about the can of Pringles and the umbrella sticking out of the bag. It sounds like a workhorse.

I would love to see photos of your black bag if you had any, or just general thoughts on how prominent the design is on the black color. It varies so much in photos and videos that I've seen, and seems like it depends on lighting and angle. I figure if I'm shelling out thousands for a Puzzle I'd like it to look like a Puzzle.

Thanks for the rec for the other bag. I had a black bucket like that and it was super useful. I prefer a closed top for international traveling if possible though.

Does anyone have this bag in Sand? I just saw this color and I really like how it can be a little dressier as well.. also I like the durability of the grained leather.

Wondering if the lighter colors are prone to color transfer. Might not be as practical for traveling but I really like the color!

Great to hear from someone who owns the Puzzle in black. You made me chuckle thinking about the can of Pringles and the umbrella sticking out of the bag. It sounds like a workhorse.

I would love to see photos of your black bag if you had any, or just general thoughts on how prominent the design is on the black color. It varies so much in photos and videos that I've seen, and seems like it depends on lighting and angle. I figure if I'm shelling out thousands for a Puzzle I'd like it to look like a Puzzle.

Thanks for the rec for the other bag. I had a black bucket like that and it was super useful. I prefer a closed top for international traveling if possible though.
If you DM me I don't mind sending you some pics. The only ones I have are of me wearing the bag and I don't feel super comfortable posting that here. In person I'd say from a distance it looks like a relatively non-descriptive black leather bag. Once you get closer, you can see the pieces of the puzzle but it definitely doesn't jump out at you immediately the way it does on lighter color bags. I've had people notice and comment that it's the puzzle bag once they're closer but it's subtle, which you may or may not like.

Does anyone have this bag in Sand? I just saw this color and I really like how it can be a little dressier as well.. also I like the durability of the grained leather.

Wondering if the lighter colors are prone to color transfer. Might not be as practical for traveling but I really like the color!
I would recommend checking Fashionphile.com to see how those color/leather type will wear. I personally love the way the smooth calfskin ages as it's less wrinkly/bulgy. I used to have two puzzles in black and greyish light blue (stone blue) both in smooth calfskin and could attest that the calfskin is not as fragile! Eventually sold the black large one as I found it too bulky for my frame, and kept the small in stone blue which has gone through rain/snow/water spill/accidental pen mark and everything just wiped off. It's definitely a forever bag for me :smile:

If you have any store nearby, I'd highly recommend seeing it in person to see which one you'd prefer. Fashionphile is a good start though as it gives realistic view of how bags would wear

In person I'd say from a distance it looks like a relatively non-descriptive black leather bag. Once you get closer, you can see the pieces of the puzzle but it definitely doesn't jump out at you immediately the way it does on lighter color bags.
Hm that’s really helpful, thanks. Part of me likes that but part of me wants that signature look for the cost. I may order two colors and return one.

I would recommend checking Fashionphile.com to see how those color/leather type will wear. I personally love the way the smooth calfskin ages as it's less wrinkly/bulgy. I used to have two puzzles in black and greyish light blue (stone blue) both in smooth calfskin and could attest that the calfskin is not as fragile! Eventually sold the black large one as I found it too bulky for my frame, and kept the small in stone blue which has gone through rain/snow/water spill/accidental pen mark and everything just wiped off. It's definitely a forever bag for me :smile:

If you have any store nearby, I'd highly recommend seeing it in person to see which one you'd prefer. Fashionphile is a good start though as it gives realistic view of how bags would wear
Great suggestion, thank you. The sand looks so wildly different in darkness in each photo I see.

I am glad to hear about the smooth leather being durable (the regular, not the silky calfskin). I prefer more structure at least at first so I believe the smooth would be a good fit.

I was also looking at light caramel vs tan but I think the tan is a richer shade.

Unfortunately closest Loewe store is 5 hours away. Maybe they stock them at the luxury department stores too since they’re on the webpages? Those are still around three hours away though

Great suggestion, thank you. The sand looks so wildly different in darkness in each photo I see.

I am glad to hear about the smooth leather being durable (the regular, not the silky calfskin). I prefer more structure at least at first so I believe the smooth would be a good fit.

I was also looking at light caramel vs tan but I think the tan is a richer shade.

Unfortunately closest Loewe store is 5 hours away. Maybe they stock them at the luxury department stores too since they’re on the webpages? Those are still around three hours away though
Maybe ordering online will be the best way for you to see which one you like, and yeah the smooth calfskin (not satin) is the one I’m referring to. I got my first puzzle bag preloved without looking at it in-person and could say I didn’t regret my decision! The quality is just amazing.

I guess apart from the pebbled/ smooth texture, probably you could also think of the hardware color you like more? I knew I want the stone blue color the moment I saw it on some people on youtube and the color palette of their outfit (also their skin tones) matches mine and goes well with the color of the bag. Seeing reviews online could really help, especially your color choices being popular ones :smile:

Maybe ordering online will be the best way for you to see which one you like, and yeah the smooth calfskin (not satin) is the one I’m referring to. I got my first puzzle bag preloved without looking at it in-person and could say I didn’t regret my decision! The quality is just amazing.

I guess apart from the pebbled/ smooth texture, probably you could also think of the hardware color you like more? I knew I want the stone blue color the moment I saw it on some people on youtube and the color palette of their outfit (also their skin tones) matches mine and goes well with the color of the bag. Seeing reviews online could really help, especially your color choices being popular ones :smile:
Thanks, I am leaning towards the tan over the black based on my current handbag collection. But I ordered both colors to try and will return one. I’ve probably watched or at least tabbed through every YouTube review I could get my hands on lol. Love YouTube for this kind of thing,

Is yours the asphalt gray? That color is really neat.
Edit - nvm just googled stone blue. Such a ladylike color ❤️ Reminds me of bluebirds or Cinderella’s ball gown.

I think the bag aesthetic has grown on me, as I've tried and returned pretty looking bags that just weren't practical. This bag seems like it scores high marks for practicality and usability. I have not yet seen in person though I have seen that the leather quality is very good.. Would definitely order from somewhere that allows returns.

I like to carry more than the essentials when I'm out for the whole day, just like you.. In the past I've had a mini backpack that I make my husband carry. But I figure it's time to be more self sufficient hehe.

I have a large Longchamp Planetes - perhaps a crossbody would be good for traveling. I like that they are waterproof. Any particular models you like? I browsed their site and it is a bit confusing with the new Le Pliage lines (Neo, City, Green, Energy).

Honestly I don’t really focus on models for Longchamp, just functionality.
My favorite kind is the one that can zip up (for security) with both a shoulder strap and top handle, more versatility.