Looking for the perfect bag...

Barbora

Aug 23, 2010
... is often harder than it looks, I've found out. I'm looking for that perfect bag. Why I find it difficult? Because I can't think of a bag that will fill out my criteria and I'll like. The reason is I like classic bags, with iconic design, those that have been here for ages...but I'm 15 years old so I don't find it age appropriate and also, despite having some designer pieces, I feel like a designer bag would not go with all of the clothing I have. It would just clash too much. So what am I looking for? A bag that is of a very good quality design, that has a versatile design I can wear everyday and would fit both categories: classic and young. I was thinking about buying the "smaller" brands (meaning Marc by MJ rather than MJ,if you get what I mean) since they often have a more wearable, younger design. Also the price could be somewhere around 1000 euros...I've saved enough and I'm willing to pay that for a good quality bag because I know I will wear it to death.

Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you so so so much!

P.S. I feel like I'm constantly asking for advice here...

barbora...that's what we're here for, advice and opinions, so keep asking away!!! i teach students your age and it's interesting to watch what they carry...anyway, i digress...i have realized that there is no such thing as the perfect bag...there are so many out there and you can love many of them...maybe you need the perfect bag for right now? and not spend all your $$ on it so that you can find your next perfect bag for next year? good luck!

I'm impressed that at 15 you have saved that much money and know your own taste.

Definitely look around and think about it and be sure you get what you really want.

For that price I'd go for an LV Speedy but in leather rather than the monogram, but I understand what you mean about perfect - I'm fussy about size, shape, weight and inside organization (hubby laughs at me but you don't want a bag just half an inch too small for your wallet!).

I think MBMJ or Rebecca Minkoff might be a good place to look. Do you like satchels or hobos better? How big do you want the bag? Color preference?

I think you're on the right page with Marc Jacobs but I would stick to Marc Jacobs and not MBMJ since your taste is more towards the classics. When I think classics, I think satchels. His lend more to a modern classic. Otherwise, if you want to go for broke, check out Bottega Veneta Montaigne. It's classy and classic. I'm strictly a hobo lover and would buy a Veneta in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
IMO, there's no perfect bag. There are features that are negotiable and some that are not. And then, there's the "in love" factor. A bag can be "right" in many ways but not excite you, it can also be "wrong" in some ways and be the one you fall in love with. So I would go with that.

Actually, to be honest, I would put that money in a savings account for a life-changing experience like a trip to somewhere special.

IMO, there's no perfect bag. There are features that are negotiable and some that are not. And then, there's the "in love" factor. A bag can be "right" in many ways but not excite you, it can also be "wrong" in some ways and be the one you fall in love with. So I would go with that.

Actually, to be honest, I would put that money in a savings account for a life-changing experience like a trip to somewhere special.

I agree - maybe it doesn't exist, but it's so much fun shopping, and you have so much time to look. Enjoy the experience - sooner or later one is going to call you from the shelf, and you'll take her home! :happydance:

I agree - maybe it doesn't exist, but it's so much fun shopping, and you have so much time to look. Enjoy the experience - sooner or later one is going to call you from the shelf, and you'll take her home! :happydance:

Very true. I have found that there is no perfect bag for me. My best advice would be to not force it. If it isn't love, it isn't worth buying. Even if it is a good deal.

Wow, thank you for all your advice:smile: I know that there is no such thing as the perfect bag to everyone, everyone's idea of the perfect bag is different, but I'm looking for something that is perfect for me at the moment.

Size would be perfect if it could hold most of my necessities for the day, the best if even some notebooks for school. A neutral color would be best, brown/black all shades of them. If satchel or hobo, I want something with shape so I'm leaning towards a satchel more although I don't know if it's the way to go. As for the LV Speedy, I like it but here it's viewed as if I was trying to scream money...I don't want that, I just want quality. Maybe this will give you a better picture? Because I don't know, I'm lost :/

As for the money, well I've been saving all my life for "something", didn't know what it was, and now I've decided :smile: Sure, I wouldn't spend all my money on a bag, the price range was to indicate as to how high I could/would go...I still have some saved ;)

If you're looking for something classic, well made, still fun, and somewhat subtle in your price range I would go for something from the LV Epi line or a Mulberry bag (maybe a Bayswater). You can make a classic bag in a neutral color like black or brown more interesting with accessories like charms or go for a bright colored bag. Like you, I'm one for classics... I saved up and bought my first Chanel at about 14. I still use my first Chanel all of the time.

i think what would be most important here is the happiness with the thing that you would buy, i would go for form and function as you will just end up with a very beautiful bag that would not be useful, one of the greatest advice that i had heard, is that when you buy you must imagine your self using it and how it would look like on you,..