Looking for some advice on culling my collection... please help!

bem3231

O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Hello lovely tPFers, and Happy New Year to each and every one of you!

We just purchased a new home and will take possession on Valentine's Day. I am also 27 weeks pregnant, and so am trying to cull my belongings as much as possible in order to simplify our move as much as possible, and in order to meet my new year's resolution of paring down to items that I either use a lot or really, really love.

I have been collecting LV for several years. In the last year or two I have branched out a bit to Chanel and Hermes, but my daily go-to brand remains LV. I have amassed quite a collection, but many items, I'm sorry to say, don't see the light of day very often. Also, I now have a two-year-old daughter and will soon have a new son, so my lifestyle has changed a lot. I have become quite anti-vachetta (just too stressful to carry with sticky little fingers around), and I now prefer very user-friendly bags. That said, I realize that one day when my babies aren't babies any more my lifestyle might change again. This makes it difficult for me to figure out what I might regret parting with.

Another issue is that I'm kind of adamant about where my bags are made and, these days, about avoiding the cloth tag. My entire collection is Made in France and I realize that if I parted with an item and ever went to repurchase Made in France bags might be hard to come by.

What I was hoping is that if I posted the items in my collection, you might be able to provide feedback as to what I should keep and what I should endeavor to sell. I will try to post everything that I have, as I realize that whether to part with an item sort of depends on what else is in one's collection.

So, here it goes...

Louis Vuitton

Items that I definitely will hold onto for the time being:
- Amarante Sunset Blvd
- Sprouse Roses Neverfull
- Mon Monogram Neverfull GM (pink / ivory)
- Monogram Beaubourg
- Azur Totally GM
- Damier Ebene Evora PM
- Black Neo-Cabby GM
- Brown Watercolor Speedy 30 (never carried)
- White Watercolor Speedy 30 (never carried)
- Bloomsbury PM
- Sprouse Roses pochette
- Mono Poche cosmetique
- Rose Pop nameplate cles
- Pomme d'Amour nameplate cles
- Amarante zippy compact
- Amarante French Purse
- Rouge Fauviste Zippy wallet
- Violette Zippy Organizer
- Illustrated mono agenda PM
- Violette agenda PM
- Illustrated mono mini-pochette
- Damier Ebene carryall

Items that I am considering parting with:
- Sherwood PM in Blanc Corail
- Trevi PM (I find this hard to get in and out of, although I love the bag)
- Delightful GM (wide vachetta strap freaks me out)
- Tivoli GM (love the bag, but vachetta
- Amarante Roxbury Drive
- Damier Ebene Eva
- Monogram Eva
- Amarante heart coin purse
- Rose Pop nameplate cosmetic pouch

I have three Chanel flaps (black and beige ghw caviar jumbos, silver shw 2.55), three Chanel wallet on a chains (beige ghw and red shw halfmoons, black shw quilted caviar), a pearly beige gwh Chanel mini, and a black caviar shw Chanel timeless clutch. I also have an Hermes Evelyn III GM in blue jean clemence. I don't plan to part with any of these right now, but would like to use them more than I currently do.

Any feedback / advice would be greatly appreciated. Have you ever parted with a bag and then later regretted it? Since I have never parted with anything previously I am nervous that I might let something go and then kick myself later. That said, it makes me feel bad to have bags in my closet that never see the light of day!!

Thank you so much for reading through this loooong post! :smile:

ETA: Reminder about selling/buying/trading is not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:

We just purchased a new home and will take possession on Valentine's Day. I am also 27 weeks pregnant, and so am trying to cull my belongings as much as possible in order to simplify our move as much as possible, and in order to meet my new year's resolution of paring down to items that I either use a lot or really, really love.

I have been collecting LV for several years. In the last year or two I have branched out a bit to Chanel and Hermes, but my daily go-to brand remains LV. I have amassed quite a collection, but many items, I'm sorry to say, don't see the light of day very often. Also, I now have a two-year-old daughter and will soon have a new son, so my lifestyle has changed a lot. I have become quite anti-vachetta (just too stressful to carry with sticky little fingers around), and I now prefer very user-friendly bags. That said, I realize that one day when my babies aren't babies any more my lifestyle might change again. This makes it difficult for me to figure out what I might regret parting with.

Another issue is that I'm kind of adamant about where my bags are made and, these days, about avoiding the cloth tag. My entire collection is Made in France and I realize that if I parted with an item and ever went to repurchase Made in France bags might be hard to come by.

What I was hoping is that if I posted the items in my collection, you might be able to provide feedback as to what I should keep and what I should endeavor to sell. I will try to post everything that I have, as I realize that whether to part with an item sort of depends on what else is in one's collection.

So, here it goes...

Louis Vuitton

- Amarante Sunset Blvd
- Monogram Beaubourg
- Azur Totally GM
- Damier Ebene Evora PM
- Black Neo-Cabby GM
- Bloomsbury PM
- Sprouse Roses pochette
- Mono Poche cosmetique
- Amarante zippy compact
- Amarante French Purse
- Violette agenda PM
- Damier Ebene carryall

- Amarante Roxbury Drive
- Damier Ebene Eva
- Monogram Eva

I have three Chanel flaps (black and beige ghw caviar jumbos, silver shw 2.55), three Chanel wallet on a chains (beige ghw and red shw halfmoons, black shw quilted caviar), a pearly beige gwh Chanel mini, and a black caviar shw Chanel timeless clutch. I also have an Hermes Evelyn III GM in blue jean clemence. I don't plan to part with any of these right now, but would like to use them more than I currently do.

Any feedback / advice would be greatly appreciated. Have you ever parted with a bag and then later regretted it? Since I have never parted with anything previously I am nervous that I might let something go and then kick myself later. That said, it makes me feel bad to have bags in my closet that never see the light of day!!

For me personally and based on everything you said as far as what you need and don't need, I'd get rid of the coin purse because you have other small wallets, the Trevi as it's heavy and having a baby won't help with that, the least used Eva since you already have one, one of your GM (either Tivoli or Delightful) and the Amarante Roxbury since you have lots in Amarante already. That would leave you with about half of what you wanted to get rid of and still have a beautiful collection with lots and lots of variety! Good luck! I know it's hard but really, with the baby and everything you'll start to see that many of these purses are gonna sit and collect dust because they are no longer useful and there's nothing wrong with that. Our needs always continually change. :smile:

For me personally and based on everything you said as far as what you need and don't need, I'd get rid of the coin purse because you have other small wallets, the Trevi as it's heavy and having a baby won't help with that, the least used Eva since you already have one, one of your GM (either Tivoli or Delightful) and the Amarante Roxbury since you have lots in Amarante already. That would leave you with about half of what you wanted to get rid of and still have a beautiful collection with lots and lots of variety! Good luck! I know it's hard but really, with the baby and everything you'll start to see that many of these purses are gonna sit and collect dust because they are no longer useful and there's nothing wrong with that. Our needs always continually change. :smile:
Hi axcarter, and thank you very much for your feedback - I think that you made some good points and wise calls. I think that I'll hang on to my Delightful GM for the time being - I just read in another thread that it might be discontinued?

Based on what you want to keep I would get rid of the Mono Eva (DE Eva is care-free), Tivoli GM, cosmetic pouch, coin purse, and the Trevi PM. Good luck deciding, I KNOW it's not easy!!

Hi axcarter, and thank you very much for your feedback - I think that you made some good points and wise calls. I think that I'll hang on to my Delightful GM for the time being - I just read in another thread that it might be discontinued?

Yes it will be. I have the Delightful GM and I love it.
My baby shower gift, actually, so I try to get as much use out of it as possible. :biggrin:

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have been in you position and its not fun.
I had to part with a Chanel Bag and I regret it so much.

Part with it once you are ready. :-s

We are here for you

bem3231 said:

So, here it goes...

Louis Vuitton

- Amarante Sunset Blvd
- Monogram Beaubourg
- Azur Totally GM
- Damier Ebene Evora PM
- Black Neo-Cabby GM
- Bloomsbury PM
- Sprouse Roses pochette
- Mono Poche cosmetique
- Amarante zippy compact
- Amarante French Purse
- Violette agenda PM
- Damier Ebene carryall

- Amarante Roxbury Drive
- Damier Ebene Eva
- Monogram Eva

I know this isn't the advice you asked for... But you have a very wearable and diverse collection. Perhaps consider placing yourself on a ban for a while rather than selling items now would work? With price increases and diminishing quality abound, I would be careful about what to part with. If I had to part with anything on your list, Id let go of the Sherwood blanc corail, and the vernis SLGs. Good luck and congrats on your move and pregnancy! Sounds like great things going on in your life!

First of all, congratulations on your exciting New Year. A new house and especially a new baby!
I am very new to collecting but not a "new person" who has collected other things and sold them at a time I was going through life changes. It sounds like it isn't a financial problem to you if you would keep them. I am someone who buys preloved things as I find them and it is hard to find exactly what you want. Just remember you can always sell etc., but you may never find that bag/wallet/etc. with the country of origin, and or condition you want.

I know this isn't the advice you asked for... But you have a very wearable and diverse collection. Perhaps consider placing yourself on a ban for a while rather than selling items now would work? With price increases and diminishing quality abound, I would be careful about what to part with. If I had to part with anything on your list, Id let go of the Sherwood blanc corail, and the vernis SLGs. Good luck and congrats on your move and pregnancy! Sounds like great things going on in your life!

Thank you for your advice - I will definitely consider it. I don't NEED to part with anything, it's moreso that I feel guilty for having these beautiful items in my closet that never get used. That said, I know that I might not get any of them again (MIF, same quality). Oh, decisions. Thanks for your perspective - it's appreciated!

First of all, congratulations on your exciting New Year. A new house and especially a new baby!
I am very new to collecting but not a "new person" who has collected other things and sold them at a time I was going through life changes. It sounds like it isn't a financial problem to you if you would keep them. I am someone who buys preloved things as I find them and it is hard to find exactly what you want. Just remember you can always sell etc., but you may never find that bag/wallet/etc. with the country of origin, and or condition you want.

Thank you for your kind words of congratulations and for sharing your perspective! No, this is not a financial issue at all. That said, I have recently found myself lemming a Birkin and though that if I could start consolidating my collection it would help justify such a large purchase.

Thank you for your kind words of congratulations and for sharing your perspective! No, this is not a financial issue at all. That said, I have recently found myself lemming a Birkin and though that if I could start consolidating my collection it would help justify such a large purchase.

Now that is a reason! You have a wonderful collection and there are always people like myself out there who really only buy preloved items and be waiting for your listings. :P

I would sell all of the ones you are thinking of and the two watercolor speeds...why it will be easy to sell those and the speedys still can get good money. I'd keep the small channels woc they are great hands free bags. Chanel flaps are soooooo expensive now and keep going up, you may not want to pay the high price when you sell. I have old and never regret but I am not the sensitive type.

The evelyne is a great cross body do keep that too.

So, here it goes...

Louis Vuitton

- Amarante Sunset Blvd
- Monogram Beaubourg
- Azur Totally GM
- Damier Ebene Evora PM
- Black Neo-Cabby GM
- Bloomsbury PM
- Sprouse Roses pochette
- Mono Poche cosmetique
- Amarante zippy compact
- Amarante French Purse
- Violette agenda PM
- Damier Ebene carryall

- Amarante Roxbury Drive
- Damier Ebene Eva
- Monogram Eva

You have such a great collection. If u selling just because it is sitting in the closet, i would say list all these items in a note book and each day keep using each one either with matching outfit. I do this and i really like to choose my outfit and select a bag according to it. So then you will know which you don't want to use at all. See for couple months and once u decided which one to sell, just do one by one. DO NOT sell everything at once. This will give you sometime to think.This is just my opinion.

I sold my Chanel large flap,black caviar, ghw. It didn't see daylight too often and I used the proceeds to buy a Missoni sweater and a Chanel bracelet. I wear both much more than I would've used the bag. BUT....I really regret selling the bag!! The way Chanel raises their prices, I don't think I'll ever get a new flap. I'm hoping, someday, to get a preloved one. The longer I wait, the price on even preowned pieces keeps going up!
I'm never selling any other pieces, I know I'd end up kicking myself down the road!
Good luck with the move and congrats on your new addition to the family, lots of exciting days ahead!