Home & Garden Looking for recomendations for a wood stove

Melissa71

O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with having a woodstove? I live in the suburbs outside of Chicago, and would love to get a wood stove for supplemental heating. I don't want the typical old fashioned stove, though. My house is a modern style, and it would look very out of place. I'd like a more contemporary design, but don't want it to break the bank, if there's a more reasonably priced model. The Wittus stoves are beautiful, but a little pricey. Any ideas?

We have a Lopi Endeavor in brown enamel and love love love it! You can load the wood from the top and it has an ash pan for easy ash removal. Nothing like wood heating...so much better than forced air :smile:

Thank you very much for the suggestion, Jmcadon. I've read some great reviews for Lopi, and brown enamel sounds more modern looking than black cast iron.
My MIL has an old fashioned, black cast iron stove. I love how well it heats her home, but know that a stove like that would look out of place in my room. I'm going to have to look into colored enamel, it sounds like a great compromise.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, Jmcadon. I've read some great reviews for Lopi, and brown enamel sounds more modern looking than black cast iron.
My MIL has an old fashioned, black cast iron stove. I love how well it heats her home, but know that a stove like that would look out of place in my room. I'm going to have to look into colored enamel, it sounds like a great compromise.
I have seen some beautiful colors like red and green...Jotul has some nice smaller stoves, too and they are very efficient.

Jmcadon, did you use a hearth pad, or build a hearth for your stove? Also, has the enamel on your stove stayed the same color over time, or does the color change at all? There are so many choices, it boggles my mind! :smile: