Looking for my first diamond ring

Zahzah

Aug 16, 2011
Hi everyone :smile:
So in new to diamond jewellery and am not sure about what type of diamond I should be looking for and where.
So I'm looking for a place to buy the ring, iv be adviced to ask here as some store rip you off or sell poor quality diamonds.
I'd prefer a jeweller but iv also heard of bluenile which I'm not really sure about as I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
Id prefer a ring with a single diamond rather than small ones but I wouldn't mind a big diamond with two small ones next to it.
I'd like it in white gold
I'd rather have a lower carat with good clarity rather than a big diamond with poor clarity.
My original price range was £4000 but I don't mind going up to £5500.
I understand this is quite low for a great diamond so I'm willing to comprimise.
Also just want to remind you that I'm from the UK (notts) :smile:

Thank you all in advance I really appreciate any help.

Hi there, congratulations on searching for your first diamond ring. There is nothing to be worried about. Blue Nile is a great website that I use to get an idea of the current market value of various diamonds and that should avoid you getting ripped off, but you don't necessarily have to buy from them.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamonds/diamond-education?track=head

They also have a section on educating you on diamonds a lot of the price depends on the 4 C's (Cut, Clarity, Colour, Carat weight). Most large diamonds will come with a GIA certificate to avoid the guesswork of the buyer. Hope this helps and Good luck

Zahzah

I hope you find your perfect ring soon because you have a very nice budget!! Keep bumping the thread I am sure some of the diamond experts will see it and help you out.

Some of the vendors sites that I would recommend are Good Old Gold (I bought my engagement ring upgrade through them, they are wonderful), Brian Gavin Diamonds, Whiteflash and James Allen. You could email them all with your budget and specifications and let them do the work for you.
Tell them you want the best cut possible!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey everyone thanks for the advice. I'm a little worried about spending so much for a diamond online without seeing it first.
I will look into the websites I have been advised. However bluenile has a few bad reviews :/

I haven't heard much bad things about them and you can always return it within 30days if u don't like it. I haven't used them yet so I can't really comment on them.
Also just a reminder, if u order things from outside Europe? Or is it just uk? U might have to pay import tax!?!?

If you're concerned about sight unseen I would consider looking at sites like Good Old Gold, James Allen and Brian Gavin Diamonds. They offer photos of the actual stone, Good Old Gold probably has the best as far as the amount of info.

Hey have you ever brought anything from them? It's alot of money to spend on the net when you can't see it in person.

Sorry no, I haven't bought from them. I understand your qualms and I personally would not buy a diamond without seeing it IRL. If you are looking for a good stone there is Hatton Gardens in London and Grays market near South Molten street is also good. I have bought from both of these places so I can recommend them.

If you're concerned about sight unseen I would consider looking at sites like Good Old Gold, James Allen and Brian Gavin Diamonds. They offer photos of the actual stone, Good Old Gold probably has the best as far as the amount of info.

AME offers good advice. We both bought our engagement ring diamonds from Good Old Gold.

I would email them with your budget (remember to factor in the shipping and taxes for import) and tell them what you want in a ring. I am sure they would be happy to put together something for you. Tell them you are a diamond novice and I am sure they will know what to do.

Then you can start a thread and get opinions on what they come up with.

Good luck. :tup:

Zahza

Some of the vendors sites that I would recommend are Good Old Gold (I bought my engagement ring upgrade through them, they are wonderful), Brian Gavin Diamonds, Whiteflash and James Allen. You could email them all with your budget and specifications and let them do the work for you.
Tell them you want the best cut possible!

Good luck.

Great suggestion about emailing them with your budget and seeing what they come up with. I had a great personal experience with a ring from James Allen and know others who have too and I would recommend them.

You'll find that online stores in general have a very big variety of diamonds and settings compared to conventional jewelry stores.

You say you are looking for a solitaire (single diamond) and for white gold. At virtually all the major online jewelry stores, you pretty much customize your ring and choose the metal and the diamond. They usually have every ring design available in white gold, yellow gold, or platinum. That's the nature of shopping online for diamond rings today.

You list your budget in pounds. Are you in the UK? If you buy online, check if they ship free to the UK or Europe. Some of them do. James Allen does and the others that were mentioned might also.

Lucky for you, your budget is higher than average and you should be able to easily find something that works for you. Especially for a solitaire stone. You can afford a high quality single diamond I think.