Books & Music Looking for Good Reads!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I am head over heels in love with the Shopaholic! Can you recommend something similar?

2. I love the Shopaholic series as well! Did you read the newest already?
    I also liked The Little lady Agency by Hester Browne. There are a few in the series. Another good one was Secrets of a Shoe Addict by Beth Harbison. And Meg Cabots books are pretty good the Queen of Babble series.

3. Did you read the other books by Sophie Kinsella? Or under her other name Madeleine Wickham? I like the Kinsella books better, but her others are good too.

I also like Lauren Weisberger and Marian Keyes- but only the ones that aren't part of her sisters series- for some reason I just feel like the tone of the books is so different. But I liked Sushi for Beginners and the Other Side of the Story and Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married. HTH!

4. I read Sophie Kinsella (and Madeline Wickham) and another of the authors that I think is kind of simirlar is Jennifer Crusie. Her books are chick lit with stuff that makes you actually laugh out loud which is pretty much how Sophie Kinsella effects me as well.

Also Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. They are technically mysteries but still mostly comedies!

5. Bitter Is The New Black by Jen Lancaster is hilarious, as are the other books in the "series".

6. #6 Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    a while back, I started a thread about books that were fashion themed.
    I've posted the link in Megs thread, so hopefully it'll get moved here soon

http://forum.purseblog.com/general-discussion/books-that-heavy-w-designer-references-fashion-themes-142856.html

Another book I highly recommend to ALL tPFers is SHOE ADDICTS ANONYMOUS. I almost guarantee that every member of this forum can identify with at least some part of this story!! (this is another one I sent to Megs to move over here)
    http://forum.purseblog.com/the-glass-slipper/shoe-addicts-anonymous-by-beth-harbison-145328.html

7. Oh, I have three more -- I have the first two, altho I'll admit that I haven't read either one yet (I didn't realize the 3rd one was out already!). These are all by Dorothy Howell

HANDBAGS & HOMICIDE,
    PURSE AND POISON
    SHOULDER BAGS AND SHOOTINGS

Here's the summary of H&H (which is the first book in the series):

"Witty, smart, and always chic-to-die despite a less than glam checking account balance, Haley Randolph has it all--Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Coach, Burberry--and she'd kill for the newest Louis Vuitton handbag. It seems she's not the only one. When someone's passion for designer purses leads to murder, Haley goes shopping for a killer to clear her name...

According to Haley Randolph, you can never have enough handbags. She has one for every occasion, but that doesn't mean she won't go to any lengths to get the latest Louis Vuitton. Unfortunately for Haley, her life goes from glam to grim when her passion for fashion outlasts her credit cards, and she's forced to work during the holiday season at Holt's--a mid-market department store that doesn't even stock designer labels much to her horror.

Looking for a bit of shopping inspiration, Haley abandons the sales floor and sneaks into the stock room to get a first glimpse of Holt's ultra-fab holiday promotion--a one-of-a-kind selection of handbag styles. But instead of the newest Vuitton, Haley discovers her boss is the ultimate fashion victim. He's face-down in lingerie--stone-cold dead.

According to the security tapes, Haley was the only person in the stockroom before, during, and after the murder. With everyone in the store eyeing her like last season's Marc Jacobs, Haley turns to the hunky Ty Cameron, who heads up the store's loss prevention unit, to help her investigate the murder.

In a race to clear her rep, Haley's knowledge of hot trends will take her from the sales floor to the boardroom to the gritty streets of L.A.'s Garment District. Now, Haley must find a killer with impeccable fashion taste...and get her hands on that perfectly checkered Louis Vuitton bag before time runs out... "