Looking for advice on Jenny Yuen vs. RM?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I really want to get a new black leather bag and I'm drawn to the Jenny Yuen Sherlock and the RM morning after mini. Just curious if anyone out there has a bag by both designers and if so how do they compare in terms of quality? I know I like the shapes of both bags, just interested in how people feel about the workmanship in both bags.

2. i only have an rm, but i couldn't recommend it more!

3. I think you're going to get a lot of RM votes - but I actually really like the Sherlock.

4. I have both bags! I have the RM Mini in Saddle and the JY Sherlock in black.

In terms of quality, I would say both are very high. Unfortunately, I can't comment too much on quality differences, because I haven't worn my RM very much (maybe 1-2 times, versus JY everyday for the last 2 weeks).

Some other comments:

- If you get a smooshier leather for the RM (like I have), it may need to be "babied" a little more. I'm always afraid I'll scratch up the leather, since it's so soft! The Sherlock (at least the black color, which I believe is supposed to be a little sturdier) has a nice pebbled leather, which will hold up well to all sorts of weather and carrying around everywhere.

- I'm also sort of worried about handle issues that other people have had with their older RMs (supposedly those issues have been fixed for the newer ones). Since I'll probably be throwing the handles on my mini over my shoulder a lot (they don't sell straps for Saddle, I don't think), I'm afraid that the wear and tear will cause some failure there.

- I'm not used to big bags, and the RM is definitely heavier (with the old hardware - maybe the new hardware is lighter) and larger than the Sherlock. Plus, it's more of a pain to carry, IMO, because it doesn't come with a shoulder strap.

- I am using the Sherlock as my "everyday" bag because it's not too big and a little more practical to use all the time (and it's just so darned cute!). I'll probably use the RM bag for more special occasions.

So, I guess I'm leaning a little bit more towards JY (more because I like shoulder straps and smaller bags).

But I really do love both bags! :heart:

5. I have bags by both designers. They are comparable in quality.. I actually like my Jenny Yuen better than my Rebecca Minkoff bag :smile: I have the Gatsby and use it for work. As the above poster said the RM bag is a bit awkward to carry.. although I still love & use mine. I can't wait to get a Sherlock at some point! I am a person who carries less and does well with smaller bags though.

6. I don't have a RM, but I have the Sherlock. I love the shape and the leather, but I have to say that it's hard to carry on your shoulder if it's completely stuffed. So I only use it on weekends when I don't have a lot of things to put in it.

7. Thanks ladies, I appreciate everyone's comments!

8. I have both as well. I like RM in terms of leather and quality. RM has so much more variety in leather. The sherlock is also rather small for my needs and I don't really like the strap because it always slides and it's rather awkward. Since I bought the JY I wore it literally one time and wear RM daily as it's more convenient for me in terms of size, durability, etc.

9. I have bags from both designers and I much prefer the RM bags. The Jenny Yuen bags have great leather and unique styling but I just prefer the vibrant colors that RM has, along with the luscious leather.