Home & Garden Looking for a way to block rain but allow airflow.

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
It's finally getting to where I can have windows open, or at least it will in the next few weeks.

But that brings back an old problem. I hate scrambling to close windows when rain threatens, especially at night. And what happens while you're away?

Awnings are not possible for a number or reasons and they don't really solve the problem in my experience.

I'd like to find (or fabricate) some sort of shield that will allow full airflow and light while blocking rain from blowing in. It wouldn't even need to be on all windows - just a few.

I'm thinking some kind of clear plexiglass, but I'm not sure how to attach it without drilling holes in the window frames or siding.

Last edited:
My hardware store sells these window things that are expandable (they are two pieces that slide to fit your window). You open the window put it in and close the window down on top of it. One side is all screen and I place it with the metal vents facing downward in back of the scree towards the outside. The metal vents with no screen side faces the room. You get good air circulation. . Because you put it with the ridges facing down the rain does not get inside. They come in different sizes and also different lengths. I think the ones I bought for my windows are 12 inches high. I want to buy the taller ones this spring. One thing I like is the metal part does give you privacy and block the light pretty good at night. Since we do not have a fan in my master bath room I found this has helped so much and the room is not hot after you take a shower.

I looked on the one I have and the only marking on it says MARVIN, so that is the company that makes it. I will try to post a link on these if I find them on a website.

These products are called Adjustable Window Screens. I looked at the Home Depot website and they sell them there. I bought mine at the local Ace Hardware so I would think they are pretty easy to find. I saw amazon has these in different brands and they also showed them in the white color which to me might be nicer than the light grey tan color mine are in.

I personally would not leave these on a ground floor window when I am not home. I do keep them on my second floor windows 24 hours a day when I am not running the air conditioner. I know you can also get those window locks that lock the windows at not being able to open after a certain length. They might work with these on a first floor window but I still think it is a security risk to keep open ground floor windows when one is not home.

Let me know if you were able to view it and your thoughts.

Last edited: