Looking for a small black bag

DiorKiss

O.G.
Aug 3, 2007
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a relatively small black bag with a long strap to take with me to the bars and clubs. Now I usually use my Vlieger en Van Dam Guardian Angel Gun clutch, but I'm moving to the States for a semester and I don't think they'll let me bring it... (On vacation to the US last year they told me I couldn't bring it and I ended up mailing it to myself at the airport, so I'm not taking any risks!)

I was thinking about a Céline Trio, but it's a bit expensive for a pretty plain bag. Do you have any ideas?

Well, I was going to suggest a Celine trio. :smile: It's the bag I use the most since it's sooo versatile (crossbody, shoulder, clutch) and looks minimalistically chic whether you're casual or dressed up. As for the cost -- I agree it's $$$$ but given the versatility, I use it so often that the cost-per-wear totally justifies the price tag.

You just can't go wrong with a trio!

Given that 1) your bag is AWESOME and 2) it's America, land of guns and 3) no mugger is gonna mess with you -- I say bring your bag.

You can't take it on the plane!! It'll freak people out. That's a pretty fair law, IMHO... airport security once confiscated my 3-yo brother's plastic Sea World sword. It weighed maybe 10 oz and had "SEA WORLD" stamped in raised plastic letters on the giant, no-sharp-edge plastic blade. Innocent. So I'm not surprised a gun shape freaked out security.

But have you considered packing it on your checked luggage? If it doesn't have a gun-shaped bit of metal in it it won't set off any alarms in the x-ray, and no harm will befall it.

Given that 1) your bag is AWESOME and 2) it's America, land of guns and 3) no mugger is gonna mess with you -- I say bring your bag.

You can't take it on the plane!! It'll freak people out. That's a pretty fair law, IMHO... airport security once confiscated my 3-yo brother's plastic Sea World sword. It weighed maybe 10 oz and had "SEA WORLD" stamped in raised plastic letters on the giant, no-sharp-edge plastic blade. Innocent. So I'm not surprised a gun shape freaked out security.

But have you considered packing it on your checked luggage? If it doesn't have a gun-shaped bit of metal in it it won't set off any alarms in the x-ray, and no harm will befall it.

Aww thanks Elisian! :biggrin: Hahaha that's what I thought, 'Murica = guns, guns = 'Murica, so why not?

Wow, I can't believe that about your brothers plastic sword... that's a bit too much IMO. But I do agree that anything gun-shaped is fair, obviously no one can do anything with a gun-shaped piece of leather but you don't want panic on the plane. I wouldn't dream of putting it in my hand luggage, I wanted to check it in but the lady at the airport told me that even though it's only leather and foam, it MIGHT set the alarm off anyway. Apparantly, they do have a X-ray for gun-shaped items as well!!

I think I'm going to e-mail the airline to see if I can check it in and take it anyway, if not I'm definitely checking out the bags you guys recommended! I forgot about the WOC, very classy, and I've been looking at more pics of the Trio and I like it better and better. The size is great as well! Thanks for all the tips everyone :smile:

Aww thanks Elisian! :biggrin: Hahaha that's what I thought, 'Murica = guns, guns = 'Murica, so why not?

Wow, I can't believe that about your brothers plastic sword... that's a bit too much IMO. But I do agree that anything gun-shaped is fair, obviously no one can do anything with a gun-shaped piece of leather but you don't want panic on the plane. I wouldn't dream of putting it in my hand luggage, I wanted to check it in but the lady at the airport told me that even though it's only leather and foam, it MIGHT set the alarm off anyway. Apparantly, they do have a X-ray for gun-shaped items as well!!

I think I'm going to e-mail the airline to see if I can check it in and take it anyway, if not I'm definitely checking out the bags you guys recommended! I forgot about the WOC, very classy, and I've been looking at more pics of the Trio and I like it better and better. The size is great as well! Thanks for all the tips everyone :smile:

BTW: it's legal to check real guns - unloaded - in hard-sided luggage. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

so the WORST case scenario, you are carrying an unloaded leather gun. I would bring it. you're well within the safe range, don't worry!

(now i want your handbag too)

I would suggest the Annabel Ingall Jojo Crossbody in Black! Similar to the Celine trio, but a tad more afforadable ;)
I was going to suggest this too. Great little bag.

If you just want an inexpensive little bag for one semester, I recommend the Fossil Memoir Cross-body. I got one on ebay for a great price.

You couldn't bring your V&VD along on your trip? Did you tell the securty in advance that it was in your luggage or did they fish it out? Reason why I'm asking is because I own that clutch too and since I travel a lot and can never bring it along I have been wondering about it.