looking for a job........

jc2239

O.G.
Nov 28, 2005
as many of you know i'm a 1L at a law school in NY right now and i've been looking for a summer internship for the past 2 1/2 months........but nobody seems to want to hire me :sad2:..........it's getting me so down plus it's totally stressing me out..........and i guess i'm starting to panic because it's already march and i stll haven't found a summer internship......was hoping you ladies could help me feel better about myself

I have not a clue what's involved in an internship with a law office....but I do know how it feels to be down when you think nobody wants to give you a break. I think you should be proud of what you have accomplished so far and to know what you want to do with your life at your age is a feat in itself! Don't be so hard on yourself...as long as you know you are doing the best that you can do without killing yourself...it's okay. Take alittle break from searching and rethink your strategy....then start searching again. Good luck...I know you'll find something...and IF you don't (highly doubt it) it's okay....things always workout somehow.

JC, I feel your pain!! For my intership after my first year of law school, I worked at legal aid! I.e, no money. However, it was a great experience and I got to stay close to by boyfriend, who I was away from during the school year.

You still have some time yet. Are you looking in the City?

glily said:
JC, I feel your pain!! For my intership after my first year of law school, I worked at legal aid! I.e, no money. However, it was a great experience and I got to stay close to by boyfriend, who I was away from during the school year.

You still have some time yet. Are you looking in the City?

i've been looking in the city and at a few firms in jersey.....i've had interviews with most of the major firms and a lot of smaller ones but it's always......"all our slots have been filled by 2L's" or something like that.....i guess i'm just taking the rejections really personally and i'm starting to worry since interview/job finding season is kinda ocming to a close......

thanks everybody for the support.......

Oh, most importantly, the first year of law school is tough. At least, it was for me. You should be very proud of yourself for achieving this accomplishment. More than a handful of students dropped out my first year of law school. I know the summer interships are important and it is probably ALL everyone is talking about right now, but don't forget to be proud of finishing up this first year!!!

Don't stress out YET. Your friends may be getting summer internships lined up already but don't let that bother you. Keep looking, have you tried to send in your application to clerk with the judges? Firms highly value the clerked-with-the-judge experience. Have you try to ask if legal aid is looking for people for the summer or other non-profit organizations? Have you sent anything to the DA's office? Generally you'll get a better response from government entities than private firms. Good luck =)

i am having a tough time :sad2:......i've never gotten grades like this in my life (even though i was kinda expecting them after talking to the 2L's and 3L's).........everyone keeps telling me once the first year's over i don't need to wory too much about grades/jobs and everything should be fine......i really hope so i don't think i can take two more years of this

i'm sending out my resume and stuff to the manhattan DA's this weekend and i have an interview with AOL tomorrow (but they require that you're in the top 25% of your class and i seriously doubt i'm in mine)

Haven't you heard, C=JD? I don't know which law school you're in right now but employers understand that law school isn't like grad school in many ways. I remembered crying to sleep many nights during my first semester of law school. You can do it. It seems like a long battle but you'll be so glad once you get passed it :smile:

Do NOT take it personally. As I am sure you are aware, many of the top interships are not based who would be best for the job. I remember the (dumbest) girl in our class getting one of the greatest interships in NYC - mostly because of who her dad was. Also, it may very well be the case that the interships you have been interviewing for are being filled by 2L's - who can do more than first years. You should be proud that you got the interview in the first place!!

I wish you luck! I know something will turn up for you. Don't forget the smaller firms - you can get a lot of experience and some great, unusual cases. While I was working at the PD's office (the next summer), I worked on a case that involved threats against the President. Very cool.

bluekit said:
Haven't you heard, C=JD? I don't know which law school you're in right now but employers understand that law school isn't like grad school in many ways. I remembered crying to sleep many nights during my first semester of law school. You can do it. It seems like a long battle but you'll be so glad once you get passed it :smile:

i'm at columbia......and i don't cry myself to sleep but i've developed terrible insomnia and like horrible stress/panic attacks.....i'm just waiting for this year to pass so that i can finally breathe again.......

you ladies seem to know what you're talking about so i was wondering.....should i be panicking yet or should i give it another month?

Good for you my dear. You're set! Don't worry (it's easier said than done, I know, I've been there). I've never had insomnia during those years, maybe because I was getting at the most,5 hours of sleep per day. And I LOVE TO SLEEP! :P Once I hit the sacks, I'm gone for good. I don't know how I did it. I guess it was non-stop adrenaline for 3 straight years (plus the bar).

I think you should still keep looking, and don't panic because that won't do you any good (especially if you have interviews lined up). Send in those applications...I'm not from your area so I'm not sure what you need to apply for something like a judicial clerkship.

To make you feel a bit better, my first year summer clerkship didn't come to me until it was early May. =)

bluekit said:
To make you feel a bit better, my first year summer clerkship didn't come to me until it was early May. =)

that does make me feel so much better.......i guess i just needed to know i'm not the only one who doesn't have a job at this point :idea:.....and i will definitely start sending out resumes/writing samples to judges this weekend