Looking for a job...

Mar 13, 2006
So, I am about to graduate and starting to look for a job. I have heard that some people have been looking for jobs for months! Does it really take that long?

How long have you been looking for a job until you found one? Did you have a lot of trouble finding one?

I think it depends what field you're looking to work in. When I was a Sr., most of my friends started looking after spring break in college, so right now sounds perfect to start sending everything out.

For me, in the arts, it did take a long time...but I also wasn't constantly looking and I was extremely picky.

Good luck!!

It does depend on the industry. My boyfriend is in the information technology industry and found a part-time job as a PC/Network technician for a mortgage company during his last semester of college. When he graduated in December, they offered him a full time spot on the MIS staff.

I'm in the communications field, I have a bachelor's in journalism with a poli sci minor. It took me almost 4 months to find a job, I now do PR/business development for a construction company. I went on tons of interviews, but it was hard to get my foot in the door because I didn't have the experience they were looking for.

My advice would be to flood the market with your resume, get out there and make contacts. If you happen to meet someone who is in the same or a similar career field, ask for their business card. Follow up with job applications, and if you go on an interview, always send a thank you note or e-mail thanking the person for taking the time to meet with you. Have faith in yourself and don't give up. It's a long, frustrating process, but you'll find something!

Good luck :biggrin:

For me it's taking me about 2 months now. It does depend on experience and even the people you know that are in the industry you want to get in to. I also know that people with no experience got jobs quicker than me and I have 3 years of experience plus school. No guarantees just get yourself known out there and something will come your way. Don't beat youself up if the first couple of interviews don't go your way. Think of them as practice for the "one" interview.

yeah, it can take forever to find a job. I'm about to graduate too (congratulations, btw) and I'm seriously stressing out. I have a Digital Media degree and too much varied experience/education...I plan on getting a graduate degree in a few years just so i can focus somewhere.

'jobs that don't suck' by charlie something, is a FANTASTIC book about job hunting. I highly recommend it.

after I graduated I took a retail job that was a no brainer for about a year because school stressed me out so bad! It took me about 3 months to find a career choice once I decided it was time to 'start acting grown'

good luck!

i'm also graduating this year with an honors BA.

i'm worried about finding a job too but i'm not sure how tough the market is this year...i just started sending my resume out yesterday! good luck to you! and congrats on graduating..YOU MADE IT! :biggrin:

I graduate with a BS in biology this May too and trying to ramp up my resume!

I am worried about job hunting too! I am ready to move on from my technician job into a different one.

Wow! Thank you for responding everyone!

We have lots of graduates here! Congrats to everyone who is graduating this May! I personally can't wait! I am so stressed out right now!

I started sending out resumes a while ago but haven't heard anything from anyone yet...*sigh*...:sad2: . My major is Mathematics and you can't do much with it unless you change your direction and go into a different field, such as Finance (which I am not a big fan of...WAY too much stress). I am not giving up though!

Thank you for your support!

:smile:

I graduated with a degree in Biology & a degree in Russian, and it took me about two months to find a job. It wasn't a job in a field I liked, but it was a job. I graduated in 2003, so yeah, it was a pain. The job market wasn't too great.

It took me about a year and a half to get a job in a field that I'm interested in (my current job), but I'm going to graduate school to get a Master's & I'm applying to PhD program because there isn't a lot of upward mobility in my position.

If you send a resume in, wait like a week and then follow up with a phone call or email. Usually they'll respond. Sometimes it isn't in your control at all...one time I had a funeral, which was obviously unexpected, happen on a day someone wanted to schedule and interview and when I told them that, I never heard anything back! But the people who aren't goign to respond to your or give you the time of day for valid reasons aren't people you're goign to want to work for anyway.

Also, don't be afraid to use connections. I kept telling myself, "I'm a smart girl, great grades, awesome resume...I can get a job on my own" but really...connections/networking helps A LOT!!