Looking for a Bal Messenger...Which Style do you Recommend, & Why?

Loquita

May 16, 2008
Hi everyone! :biggrin:

I have been looking for a casual-chic cross-body bag from a variety of designers for a good while now, and for some reason I overlooked the whole Bal option. (Doh). :noggin:

I have owned Bals in the past (Day, City, Shoulder, First) and loved them, so why not consider that option again, right? :graucho:

My question to you all: Would you recommend a Courier or a Flat Messenger? Detailed opinions are especially welcome!

I don't carry all that much on a regular basis, and I am 5'4", if that helps. This would be sort of an everyday usage/travel bag.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. TIA! :flowers:

Deciding factor would be size. Courier is large, looks great full or empty. The flat messenger is a much smaller bag and it's flat so doesn't look great stuffed full. You can still carry quite a bit in it but it's nowhere near as large as the courier. It's also a discontinued style but you will probably be able find one in the resale market.

Your third option is a new style called velo but the strap is rather long and not adjustable.

Have a browse here and see which look you prefer:

http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga/photos-wearing-your-bbags-pictures-only-37346.html

Thanks so much, drati! This is very helpful...I fear that the Courier is too large for my everyday needs. :sad: But I love the look of them when the are broken-in.

That said, the Besace looks to be a great in-between size. :graucho:

More opinions, please!

I would recommend the Velo. You can definitely wear it cross-body. I find the courier too big but if you like huge bags, that would be a good option. If you just want to carry basics, the flat messenger could work (I liked the look but found it too small). I find the Velo to be the perfect size.

I would recommend the Velo. You can definitely wear it cross-body. I find the courier too big but if you like huge bags, that would be a good option. If you just want to carry basics, the flat messenger could work (I liked the look but found it too small). I find the Velo to be the perfect size.

Thanks, citychris! Having looked at more pics and thought about it, I would agree...and since I am on the short side, I think that the Courier would swallow me up.

So...I am leaning towards a Velo at the moment. :graucho:

(Sigh...and there's the whole color issue...)

Hi Lo, good to see you here :graucho: Maybe take a look at the Besace. I just got one and it's a really versatile bag. If you adjust strap to the shorter lengths it's sized a little less than a Nikki. Or you can adjust strap to wear cross body. It's pretty flat, so it is comfortable but you can't stuff it! I am 5'8"- here are some shots for you :smile:

This is one worn like a hobo:

BalNoixBesace001.jpg

This is cross body:
BalNoixBesace006.jpg

Isn't she pretty??
BalNoixBesace005.jpg

I would recommend the Velo.... I have it in anthracite and lovvvve it!!!
Here are some mod pics (I am 5'6 for reference)

SDC10543.jpg

SDC10575.jpg

SDC10576.jpg

SDC10577.jpg

Also the town is cute... which is basically a baby velo.

^You guys are KILLING ME!!! :sweatdrop:

violetgirl, is that a GALET Besace????? Whatever is it, that is exactly what I am looking for!!! (I am really wanting something in galet lately - I was dying for a Chloe galet satchel, but can't find one anywhere - and then I realized that I like the Bal galet even better).

NYCavalier, you have sold me on the Velo. It would be perfect for every day. So now they are both on my wishlist. I am contacting Erica now!!! :nuts:

Thanks so much. :heart:

I'd also recommend taking a look at the Men's Day - if you like the Day already, the men's one is very similar but with a longer adjustable strap. The older Men's Days were almost exactly like the regular Day, but the new ones have slightly different hardware and short tassels. I find it very comfortable to wear cross-body and it looks good full or empty.

The courier would probably be too large. I use mine as a travel bag, but I think it would be too big for every day.

I'd also recommend taking a look at the Men's Day - if you like the Day already, the men's one is very similar but with a longer adjustable strap. The older Men's Days were almost exactly like the regular Day, but the new ones have slightly different hardware and short tassels. I find it very comfortable to wear cross-body and it looks good full or empty.

The courier would probably be too large. I use mine as a travel bag, but I think it would be too big for every day.

This is a consideration as well - I will be on the lookout for this, too!

Thanks, bedhead - So far the Day is my fave Bal style, so this would be a great option for me. :smile: