Looking down on your handbag?

When I was into Coach bags, I thought they were the only bags on earth. Then I strted working at a high end retail shop and found out what REAL wealth could buy. Now I amy not be rich, but I can afford the best too. I don't care what people think.

AJ

i tend to stare at peoples bags... but i don't do it to look down on them, I just love seeing what other people are carrying and trying to guess if they are real or fake!

Well I confess that I look at other peoples' bags but my thoughts are always more about how the color etc goes with what they're wearing, and how the shape and size goes with their shape and size.

I don't have any idea, or care, who made the bag. Now if I saw one that I really liked, I might wonder where they got it and how much it cost, and if for any reason I happen to have conversation with them, I will ask them where they got it, and usually people will also volunteer how much it costs without me even asking, if it was a particularly good bargain! :biggrin:

i tend to stare at peoples bags... but i don't do it to look down on them, I just love seeing what other people are carrying and trying to guess if they are real or fake!

Oh yeah, I do that all the time. I love looking at people's LVs, and it gives me a better idea of what I *could* buy in the future :graucho:

However, this woman was clearly looking down on my handbag...whatever, I don't really care!

I think I'm slowly realizing that it truly doesn't matter what brand something is (and anyone who reads through my posts will see I've had my own issues with this.) What matters is whether you feel and look good- with your bag, your clothes or whatever else you have- and aren't going into debt for it. If you can afford an LV that's great! But a LARGE portion of the world's population is not going to know, care, or pay much attention to what brand your bag is. They will only know if they like it or not. And they may not even pay attention to it for long enough to decide THAT!

So my conclusion is that you should buy what you like and can afford and the hell with anyone who thinks otherwise.

I notice other people's bags out of interest--I simply love purses. When someone acts superior about what they are carrying, I think it's just sad. Their self-worth is tied up in things and they're insecure, as others have said. True class isn't about how much our "stuff" costs. Being nice or kind doesn't cost a cent.

Haven't happened to me yet and I hope it doesn't. People can be mean sometimes. At the end of the day, what you have and she has are just bags - objects. Doesn't make anyone less of a person or deserving of smugness.

I think many people have a 'I'm better off than you' attitude though most manage to hide it well under a veneer of sociability/good nature.

It's bags and cars in the US - in my home country it's gold jewellery that's the status symbol. So there are women you meet at social functions or in general who wear loads and loads of gold jewellery and look like they belong in Fort Knox (and you've got to wear it all at the same time, too!). This comes from the tradition that at the wedding the groom presents the bride with the most expensive necklace he can buy, so the bigger your necklace, the more well off your husband! These women cast pitying glances at those who turn up wearing a simple chain, and anybody who wears costume jewellery is an absolute pariah.

Funny how cultures change but attitudes don't!

I was thinking about my previous post and then it dawned on me. The attitude women in my country have about others who wear costume jewellery, electroplated bangles and so on are the same as the attitude on this blog about those who carry fake bags! There is disgust that women who wear 'fake' gold jewellery are trying to appear to be someone they aren't!

:back2topic:

Well, I will admit to being a "bag looker". I cannot help but check out bags on people in public. I am always looking for someone who has a bag that I like so that I can go on my next "quest"...LOL. I hope I do not come off as one of those people, as I would never want to! On the flipside, I do not pay attention to what people are staring at about me. I try to avoid it because it would just make me paranoid!

I am the same, I just love bags so much that I check people bags out all the time. I guess I am a bit of a bag stalker! I suppose I should be a bit careful to make sure no one takes offence and perhaps add a smile and a compliment to my 'rude' staring!

However, if you ever see a lady with a Kelly dressed up in a strange looking scraf staring at your bag, it's just me looking admiring your bag....

I think there's always this unspoken competition between alot of women. I personally hate it because anyone can carry any handbag nowadays. It's not exclusive for the ultra luxe of people. I do envy what some women carry but hey... we can't have everything, right? :girlsigh: