look at the CRAZY nurse & how she washes a newborn

omg the baby was choking on thge water man. that *****.

The baby was not choking. The baby was face down and was crying. Due to the water streaming down the baby's face, some could have entered the mouth, but the crying would have expelled the water. And if the water would have been inhaled, the gag reflex would have taken over, routing the water into the stomach rather than the lungs.

Lamiastella, it seems as if you, Charles and I are the almost only ones on this thread that see a medical professional handling a newborn in a safe, albeit unorthodox to we cuddly Mommy types, manner.

I work in the medical field. I understand how this video can be misinterpreted by laypersons, but I promise each of you that baby was just fine. Those of you that didn't watch the entire video wouldn't know this because you wouldn't have seen the baby dried, swaddled and lying very contentedly in its mother's arms.

Sorry, I have no interest in kids at all, but after watching that, I wanted to slap that lady, I dont normally like violence in anyway, but come on, surely the hospital can afford baby baths and caring staff.x

My initial thoughts were this might be protocol with the intention of stimulating the baby.
I've had three and never saw any of them washed, but know it happened not long after being born (except for my one that needed to lie under a heat lamp first for a while).

I know they try to really get the babies stimulated when they're first born...blood flowing, crying, etc. are all good things immediately.

It was kind of 'whoa' to watch, but only because I wouldn't be that 'rough' with my newborn, just cuz as a new mother you think they're more fragile than they are.

However, I simutaneously felt like they were medical professionals, who are kept in check by other medical professionals who watch them do this daily, as well as doing it in front of being taped...I'd say it was fine and it wasn't that bad.

My only moment where I thought, 'hey' though was when the male nurse picked up the baby initially and the head kind of flopped.

I also don't see the huge deal here. Granted, she could have been a bit more gentler, but it's not like she was abusing the baby. Babies cry, and just cause she's crying doesn't mean she's being abused or hurt.
It would be interesting to hear an actual health professional's opinion on this.

I'm a nurse in a neonatal intensive care unit...the first thing I have to say is WHERE ARE THEIR GLOVES?! Ewwwwwwww...if it was the baby's first bath, the baby still has all of mom's secretions on her. Ew...I never touch babies without gloves when they're first born. And secondly, we never wash babies under running water...not even tub baths until their umbilical cords dry up and fall off. And we tell the parents not to give their babies tub baths at home until their cords fall off. But...I don't know if that's the common practice over there. The man was checking for reflexes and doing a newborn assessment of the baby. I don't think he was picking up the baby roughly...what you have to be most careful of is the head, and the baby's head wasn't flopping all over the place. You have to understand that babies aren't as delicate as they seem. And they will cry...even if they are just woken up, they usually scream, esp when they are first born. Babies have a distinct cry when they're in pain...it sounds a lot different from a normal baby crying. This baby's cry wasn't a cry of pain.

I would have done the bath differently...but like I said, I don't know what their practice is over there. If the dad was so uncomfortable, he should have said something to the nurse.

This video was taken 2hrs *after* it was born, so imagine what it must have felt like for the baby, cleaning off the blood and amniotic membrane bits immediately after it was born! Babies are extremely flexible and need a thorough wiping down/cleaning after they are born. They had to clean ds2 very thoroughly, he was born with a thick grayish film all over him (i can't remember the term for this, anyone? caul?)

I gave birth to two babies and remember the nurses using the pointy suction device and reaching right into their nostrils and throat to suction out the fluids upon birth. It seemed very rough, but necessary. Both video nurses behaved more impersonal than abusive in how the baby felt. Some nurses are super gentle and lay the baby under the heat lamp to pat dry, etc.

^^^Interesting point. I wonder if they test the mothers (where ever this was filmed) as they enter the hospital. If so and it's matter of record that the mother has nothing that can be transmitted, would gloves still be required for bathing newborns? Just curious.

Then again, since it's in a different country, perhaps their infection barrier practices (my brain's blanking on the proper term for that!) are different than the US? :shrugs:

I didn't like the way the male nurse was holding the baby. And the second nurse was definitely too rough! The baby was gurgling for God's sake! It's like she didn't care! And even if she was being "efficient" she didn't do a good job or the right thing imo!

I raised two and have four grandsons....
I have held and bathed my share..... Although the video looks a little rough, I never had the sense that the baby was being hurt... she looks extremely capable, just not very soft....
It is not the way a Mom or Nana bathes their children (I hope) but she handles TONS of babies...newborns cry, shriek...
If you stand and watch the RN's in a nursery, they are completely immune to it...they don't even hear it anymore.

I didn't like the way she bathed the baby, but I don't feel she was hurting it either...just being very direct and getting the "work done"....