Longevity of Hermes Bags

5babies4me

Jul 29, 2009
Ladies,

I am a hard-wearer of bags. For those of you like me, how do you find that Hermes holds up? And how does Hermes do standing behind their product?

I tried searching the forum to little effect. I hope that this question has not been answered before.

Thanks! :biggrin:

I have a barenia/toile birkin that has had food spilled on, cherry limeade spilled on. Aiyayay!!! I just wipe it and it's clean. Not a trace of food.

Then my black box birkin is being used as a diaper bag. My dog has jumped on it in the car. It sure gets beat up time and time again. It's takin' many lickin's and still keeps on tickin".

I saw a kelly from the early 1970s on Monday. No one had babied that bag but it looked fine to me, just needed some feeding and a little TLC.

No problems with my togo Birkins after many years of constant use. The corners of my gold one get rubbed but a spa treatment "fixes" them so that the bag looks nearly new again.

Just how hard are you on a bag? Certain colors and leathers would be obvious bad choices, but I've also seen Birkins that were less than 10 years old and looked like they've been sent through checked baggage a few hundred times.

When I was considering an Hermes bag, I looked around, I checked the leathers....and I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't last any longer than a comparable leather in another brand. If you're so tough on a bag that they won't hold up, Hermes won't either. The leathers are coming from the same tanneries so there's no magic secret that will make one last longer than another. Sadly.

I can carry a good leather bag for about 3 or 4 years before the "trim" wears through. I have carried coated/impregnated canvas bags for 6 mo and they fall apart.

I have stuck with decent leather bags for many years now and occasionally choose a "fashionable" bag, only to be disappointed.

Thank you for your information. I truly enjoy quality goods and recently watched the youtube about how a Birken is made. It was impressive.

Again, thank you.

I agree with Ammietwist that leather is leather and it will scratch, scrape, and dry out the same regardless of brand. But the difference for me is that Hermes will repair and refurbish bags, thus enabling the bag to last longer than its counterpart at another brand, and the stitching is much MUCH sturdier than that of any other brand I own. It is hard to spend 8-10K usd on a bag that you know will get beat up with daily use, but if any bag is going to stand up to the abuse, an Hermes Kelly or Birkin is it...and if it doesn't, H will repair it.:tup:

Ammietwist is addressing the leather and the outside, but where Hermes really stands out is the construction. The bag is lined and interlined, uses no plastic, and is constructed with Hermes' unique stitching and waxed thread which lasts forever. I have bags from the 70s and 80s; while the leather needs refurbishing, the structure seems to last forever and the bag does not lose its shape unlike cheap bags which look good on the outside but are made with cardboard or foam on the underside of the structure. Hermes' hardware is also much better quality. The soft leathers like Clemence do slouch but the construction does not fall apart.

Reactions: Daosabao
I've been contemplating a Bolide for a while now, but my funding has shrunk considerably now that I have to go to Cairo for 2,5 months - ergo the bolide is on hold for me now. I am sort of thinking about selling most of my collection to get one, but I have to be sure that it'll last a long, long time, preferably a lifetime (I'm 23 at the moment). As I've only really read about birkins and kellys holding up, how about the bolide? Will it stand the test of time, construction and leather (Fjord is the leather of my choice) wise?

i sympathize :yes: i am not too hard on my bags, but not able to baby any of them. i always ended up selling those that needs babying very soon after i got them.

which H leather would you all say is the sturdiest?

Not sure which is the sturdiest but the one that refurbished the best is box...the leather is those that you can pass down to next generation and next next generation....one of the reason you see most gorgeous patinated vintage H bags from 60s 70s in this leather :smile:

i sympathize :yes: i am not too hard on my bags, but not able to baby any of them. i always ended up selling those that needs babying very soon after i got them.

which H leather would you all say is the sturdiest?