Longchamp Large Tote - Worth It?

nekostar0412

Bitten by the CHANEL Bug
O.G.
Jul 28, 2007
Just wanted some TPF opinions on the Longchamp Large Tote. My friend's been wanting one, which she finally got for her birthday, and now I'm kind of tempted to spontaneously buy one.

All I know about it is that it folds up nicely for travel. What are some other reasons that I should (or shouldn't) get one? My friend's roommate commented that it was a lot of money for plastic...so, is the Longchamp Large Tote worth it?

It's worth the money if that's the kind of bag you want, I use mine everyday to carry my laptop and it's very durable, but I don't like how it completely lacks shape and my laptop ends up sideways and it just looks really awkward. I have also traveled with it and it really comes in handy, especially since I can just wash it in the washing machine afterwards. My only complaint is that the straps tend to dig into my shoulder if I'm carrying something heavy.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy a Herve Chapelier tote instead because I think they are a little cooler looking and hold shape better, but it really depends on what your age range is and what you're looking for. I'm 21 so I feel like my Longchamp is a little bit of a "grandma" bag sometimes just because of the straps and the shape. Also, I like the Herve colors better.

How much are they?

I looked some up on ebay and nothing is really too expensive. Maybe you should try there first. If you dont want plastic they have some leather ones at not a bag price.

Good luck:smile:

I own the long handled large tote in purple and use it on occasion for a rainy day bag. I am not wild about the shapelessness of the bag, it just sort of sags any which way.

Do I think it is worth the $125? No. Luckily I bought mine on sale.

I personally thing that the Longchamp nylon bags are worth it. I mean it's like $100 and it's a name brand bag that will last you a long time. I can see where your friend says that it's nylong (not plastic) but look at the prices of Prada nylon. I think a Longchamp bag is a good basic to have in a bag collection.

As someone who has owned both Herve Chapelier and Longchamp, I definitely say that both brands are worth it. However, I would give a slight edge to Longchamp.

I first discovered both brands in 2000 while I was still in college. I have the large Herve tote in navy/pink, large Longchamp (Pliages line) in black, medium Longchamp in black and tan, and smaller Longchamp in navy and brown. I've had my bags since 2000, and still use them quite frequently, especially in inclement weather. I would say that my Longhcamp has held up better over time, and I love the fact that they are easy to store.

Good luck...I think that they are both worth the price.

Yes! Longchamp is 1000% worth it. I used to have one of their basic nylon bags and it took tons of heavy duty hauling around. I even washed it in the washing machine and it was still great. Eventually I lost it though, that's the only reason why I'm not still using it today.

I have a large tote that I use for travel. It folds up so neatly and small that it fits perfectly in my suitcase. Then after I buy souvenirs, etc., it becomes my carry on bag. It's durable, lightweight, and cute. I love it.

If you're not in a hurry, you can find them at Loehmans or Off Fifth.

I think it's a great bag for bad weather days and traveling - both as a carry-on and to store in your suitcase to bring home items purchased on your trip. I love how it folds up easily to pack in a suitcase too.

If you look under the Travel sub-forum, there's a thread called "what's your carry-on bag" or something like that and I'd bet the bag cited by the most posters as their carry-on is the Longchamp Pliages line.

I have a black large one with long handles and love it.

Thanks for all the input, ladies! You TPFers are GREAT!

As I'm 21, and a college student, this sounds like a good tote bag for school, but I'm worried I won't use it as much after college (I only have a year left of undergrad, then possible law school).

I'm not too crazy about the shapelessness of the bag, but other than that, I'm seriously considering it...

The Herve Chapelier bags look cute, but I think I like to style of the Longchamp better - the leather straps, etc.

I'm in law school and I've used my large Longchamp tote (in black) almost every single day this school year. I carry my laptop, planner, water bottle, snack, etc and a HUGE text book every day and the bag has held up great and still looks like new. It doesn't end up looking shapeless because I cram so much stuff in it :P

I would highly recommend it!

I work at Stanford University and see lots of girls (well, usually 1 girl per day at least) carrying them. I think they're a chic alternative to a backpack or canvas tote!

Thanks for all the input, ladies! You TPFers are GREAT!

As I'm 21, and a college student, this sounds like a good tote bag for school, but I'm worried I won't use it as much after college (I only have a year left of undergrad, then possible law school).

I'm not too crazy about the shapelessness of the bag, but other than that, I'm seriously considering it...

The Herve Chapelier bags look cute, but I think I like to style of the Longchamp better - the leather straps, etc.

i used mine a lot in college but after recently graduating, i still use it sometimes as an overnight bag or just to carry shoes or an extra outfit. i def recommend it as a very useful bag