Longchamp Large Tote - Worth It?

Thanks for all the input, ladies! You TPFers are GREAT!

As I'm 21, and a college student, this sounds like a good tote bag for school, but I'm worried I won't use it as much after college (I only have a year left of undergrad, then possible law school).

I'm not too crazy about the shapelessness of the bag, but other than that, I'm seriously considering it...

The Herve Chapelier bags look cute, but I think I like to style of the Longchamp better - the leather straps, etc.

Longchamp and Herve totes were totally the most common bags on my school campus instead of backpacks and are great buys for the price. First of all, they're not expensive, great throw around bags, great for rainy days. Like mentioned... they make good overnight bags and carry on bags. Also, tons of people do carry their stuff to work in them, great for rainy days. I have a small office and lots of the other girls have them. For all the stuff I schlep to work, I don't always want it in a nice bag. I don't think you would regret buying one.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Longchamp totes. I love the fact they are durable and easy to clean. I use mine as a work tote. I hate the inside - the lack of lining.

I have the large tote in navy, and it’s so worth it. I love it so much I want to get another one.

Where can I buy these bags on sale? Do the outlet stores (TJ Maxx, Off 5th etc) carry these bags?

As a owner of 5 longchamp totes, they are so worth it! I love them for travel! Plus when my light color ones get a little dirty, they are really easy to clean. I just spray a little stain remover & use a toothbrush to scrub, then just throw mine in the washer on the handwash cycle & hang dry. they turn out great.

Hi girls, I'm interested in a large Longchamp tote. Would it be too overwhelming on me? I am 5'1... but I'm heading to college this fall. I only intend on using it on light days, but I can't decide between medium & large. It should be able to fit folders or some light books.

I have 3 Le Pliage totes altogether and I love them all :smile: Durable, simple and chic enough for everyday use. I love how I can just dump almost anything and everything in there! Although it just means that I have to keep fumbling to look for my cosmetics, handphone etc.

Yes - absolutely worth it. I have a large brown one with short handle since some 8 years now and always have it with me in addition to my handbag. I initially bought it to be used as a grocery bag but now I use it for basically everything that my handbag won't hold: grocery, shopping, spare travel bag, work bag for documents etc. Very durable and easy to take care of.

I'm confused by this bag. I saw them a lot when I recently went to Europe (not sure if carriers were tourists or locals..), but I just don't get it. Is this bag filling the "throw-around bag, but has a name" niche?

Oh, this sounds so perfect for me! I've been looking for a big nylon bag to use for travel...one that could pass for a "purse" so I can still have my carry on ;)

totally totally worth it!!!! it's so durable, and elegant for a throw-around bag. i cant even imagine one period in my life (school, travel, work -as laptop and document bag, gym, night over, etc.) where it would not be useful.

hmmm..... maybe in parties. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I just bought a navy/pink Herve Chapelier bag for college in the fall, and I'm thinking of also getting a large le pliage because I have a small one and I LOVE it...Yeah, it's nylon, but you also have the leather which makes it look nicer, I think. Plus it's so roomy...even with the small one I can fit a bunch of stuff in it, and it's still not full.

Yup I accumulated a total of eight Herve and Longchamp bags during hs/college and still use them for work because they are really durable and waterproof and come in fun colors. Also I think they are very reasonably priced. None of the girls at my school carried backpacks!

yes! I love my longchamp bag and use if for work everyday! I use a laptop sleeve in it for my laptop for padding and also because it holds the shape better. the leather straps are so comfortable on my shoulder even when i am carrying a lot. I absolutely love this bag!!

I just got a large royal blue one today from Nordstroms for $89.00. I instantly threw my old purse in there and carried it around. I love it and am now contemplating my next one. I'm about 5'1 and it's the perfect size for me.