Long time Seller is Shilling?

What is really weird about Ebay's new policy that appears to tolerate shill bidding .. in a town hall meeting with Griff & Lee on the Ebay radio about 3 weeks ago this topic came up - specifically secret sellers groups that have members bidding on each others' auctions. Griff & Lee said it's not allowed and action would be taken.

And they asked the people on the phone call and discussing this - and others in groups to contact them with more information about this.

Maybe Lee & Griff aren't aware of the new policy? They reiterated in emails that if it's obvious and it's several accounts driving up prices, especially on relists, Ebay would take action.

I'm not holding my breath, however. I just don't bid on any auctions of a seller that I suspect may be raising the price on an auction by having others bid.

Yes, what is this new policy? Has anyone left FB that the seller is a shiller after realizing they overbid ? I don't want that to happen, though perhaps has in the past to me. But if I was certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would love to leave such FB. This morning I didn't win an item and the second the auction was over, I got a SCO. But it was a low priced item and the last bidder had a 140 score, not just a 1 or 0 transactions. Their 30 day bid history shows just this item being bid on. So doesn't appear to be shilling but that SCO just came so fast! Maybe they retracted their bid or something. But then I looked and it said: Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%! I clicked to see what that meant, and it says "this shows the percentage of all bids from this bidder that went to this specific seller." Is this 100% for the past month only or always? I assume the past month which would match up with the one and only bid that they did the past month.

Last edited:
Yes, what is this new policy? Has anyone left FB that the seller is a shiller after realizing they overbid ? I don't want that to happen, though perhaps has in the past to me. But if I was certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would love to leave such FB. This morning I didn't win an item and the second the auction was over, I got a SCO. But it was a low priced item and the last bidder had a 140 score, not just a 1 or 0 transactions. Their 30 day bid history shows just this item being bid on. So doesn't appear to be shilling but that SCO just came so fast! Maybe they retracted their bid or something. But then I looked and it said: Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%! I clicked to see what that meant, and it says "this shows the percentage of all bids from this bidder that went to this specific seller." Is this 100% for the past month only or always? I assume the past month which would match up with the one and only bid that they did the past month.

The bid history percentage you see when you click on a bidder's anonymized ID is for the past 30 days. Since this bidder only placed one bid on one item, of course it's going to be 100%.

It certainly doesn't sound like shill bidding. It's either a buyer who backed out of the transaction, or in the case of many items, the seller may have multiples of the same item and since she's comfortable with the bid amount you placed, she offered you a SCO.

Somebody should contact a News outlet... see if somebody is willing to do a story on
this and investigate it further.....

It's just a thought....

I once caught a shill bidder/ seller.... I sent ALL of my research to Griff at Ebay... he took care of it within a day......

What is really weird about Ebay's new policy that appears to tolerate shill bidding .. in a town hall meeting with Griff & Lee on the Ebay radio about 3 weeks ago this topic came up - specifically secret sellers groups that have members bidding on each others' auctions. Griff & Lee said it's not allowed and action would be taken.

Tolerate it? Krikeys, they protect it and maybe even promote it. Why do you REALLY think IDs are scrambled?

Griff is nothing but a paid propaganda mouthpiece. I wouldn't trust him if he told me the day of the week while pointing at a calendar.

I can't believe people are still talking about this stuff like it's something new. This was all brought out years and years ago. The eBay boards were full of it until they started censoring the boards so heavily. Hundreds, probably thousands of people left eBay over it, including people that had been with them almost from the beginning. I left there back in '03 or '04 after fighting this nonsense for several years on the Trust and Safety board and a few others.

Read back through some old threads on this board and you'll see this is nothing new.

Fraud is rampant there, from both buyers and sellers. eBay speaks out against it publicly, but behind the scenes, they're raking in the profits from it in fees.

eBay cares about eBay's bottom line. They have NO incentive to even try and stop this kind of thing.

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped coming to this tPF board years ago too. I come here and see the same kinds of threads over and over and over again with people getting scammed in all the same old ways, yet they continue to use eBay.

I start to read this board and my blood pressure starts climbing exponentially. I just can't believe people still use a site where they KNOW they're subject to fraud on such a wide scale.

Somebody should contact a News outlet... see if somebody is willing to do a story on
this and investigate it further.....

It's just a thought....

I once caught a shill bidder/ seller.... I sent ALL of my research to Griff at Ebay... he took care of it within a day......

May I ask, what do you mean all of my research? What kind of research? What kind of info did you gather? AND how did you take it all to Griff? TIA for your response :smile:

May I ask, what do you mean all of my research? What kind of research? What kind of info did you gather? AND how did you take it all to Griff? TIA for your response :smile:

the man was selling Vintage Used Dunhill Lighters....

I went over ALL of his listings.... then looked at his completed listings...
I compared the names with current auctions....

ONE bidder ALWAYS bid on this mans item.... and would win....
BUT, then the man would relist the VERY same lighter with the same
scratches on it in the very same place....
It was so OBVIOUS.....

ONE lighter would be listed 5 or 6 times.... with the same bidder winning ....

If you go and look at one that is suspected of shill bidding....
Then look at bid history....
take many screen shots....
Then look at completed listings....

You just start comparing all of the info you see.....

It is kinda hard to explain..... BUT, you KNOW it when you SEE it......

:shocked:

the man was selling Vintage Used Dunhill Lighters....

I went over ALL of his listings.... then looked at his completed listings...
I compared the names with current auctions....

ONE bidder ALWAYS bid on this mans item.... and would win....
BUT, then the man would relist the VERY same lighter with the same
scratches on it in the very same place....
It was so OBVIOUS.....

ONE lighter would be listed 5 or 6 times.... with the same bidder winning ....

If you go and look at one that is suspected of shill bidding....
Then look at bid history....
take many screen shots....
Then look at completed listings....

You just start comparing all of the info you see.....

It is kinda hard to explain..... BUT, you KNOW it when you SEE it......

:shocked:

But doesn't the seller have to pay fees every time they sell the item to the shiller even?