Long time Seller is Shilling?

This maybe a stupid question as well. I understand the concept of shill bidding but if the shiller wins than how does that help the seller? Since its not really sold to a real person?

MizzEve said:
How, do we recognize shill bidders? Bidders with zero fb that bid multiple times? Are there other indications?

If you click on the bidder history of any bidder you can see how many bids they've placed with that seller... Eg one we saw before was 91 bids on 34 different items- 100% bidding with that seller.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=251198505063

This seller shills everyone of there own auctions.....i cant show you now because the 30 day history has deleted it but she was using 5 different ids to bid up the price

Last edited:
cmdfsu said:
This maybe a stupid question as well. I understand the concept of shill bidding but if the shiller wins than how does that help the seller? Since its not really sold to a real person?

It doesnt but sometimes it happens when they dont get another bidder, you'll see the item relisted most the time

So, as shilling is *supposed* to be against the rules - has anyone actually won an auction and *then* reported it to ebay?

I'd be exceptionally ticked off if I won and paid for something (or even not paid yet) and discovered I'd been the victim of shill bidding.

EBay will just state that they do not see any evidence of shilling, if it is a big account. Probably not on small ones, either. They have changed their policies and now accommodate shillers.

So if they have multiple accounts, then they have multiple credit and debit cards with different names? Someone said one shiller had 5 accounts, but PP and ebay have to have accurate info with accurate names right? All that is verified right? Same with business names. One can only have so many addresses and phone #'s right?

I guess it confuses me how one person can have so many accounts. I want to know how these immorals get away with their scams but on this public forum I hate for shillers to read it too, know what I mean? Kind of like CSI, interesting to learn how they determine who did the crime, but you don't want the criminals to learn this too.

So, as shilling is *supposed* to be against the rules - has anyone actually won an auction and *then* reported it to ebay?

I'd be exceptionally ticked off if I won and paid for something (or even not paid yet) and discovered I'd been the victim of shill bidding.

I was bidding on a purse from this very seller, a shill bidder keep bumping up the price....the shill won at $40 over my first bid, which was the last bid before shill entered auction.
Within 5 minutes of getting did not win email I received a second offer email from buyer. I declined....or rather just didn't respond and offer expired. Purse was delisted and again the same shill ID was bidding and bumping , at this point I reported. I did notice all listing dissapeared for a day or two and then seller started listing again.....I guess eBay doesn't really care as long as they get paid.

So if they have multiple accounts, then they have multiple credit and debit cards with different names? Someone said one shiller had 5 accounts, but PP and ebay have to have accurate info with accurate names right? All that is verified right? Same with business names. One can only have so many addresses and phone #'s right?

I guess it confuses me how one person can have so many accounts. I want to know how these immorals get away with their scams but on this public forum I hate for shillers to read it too, know what I mean? Kind of like CSI, interesting to learn how they determine who did the crime, but you don't want the criminals to learn this too.

Actually, you only have to use a different email account for each eBay user ID- you can use the same PayPal account, etc. Don't have to use your real name, either, as long as you have a real (mailing) address.

Actually, you only have to use a different email account for each eBay user ID- you can use the same PayPal account, etc. Don't have to use your real name, either, as long as you have a real (mailing) address.

Shute, well anyone can get another email account. Can't ebay see the shilling is coming from the same account then? Seems so easy when all usernames and constant shilling is tied into the same PP. I mean, you don't to be a P.I. to see that, customer service can put 2+2 together right?

It's like a game to them and it's sickening. Maybe ebay doesn't care? Perhaps they feel like despite the rules they created, they don't enforce them because EBAY benefits from the shilling. I have made other reports in the past, obvious ones they could easily see in a listing, tons of them on the same listing and multiple calls. They just say their on it but really busy, months later even.

I have an EBay account with no PP attached. I am not a shiller. lol
The big time shillers know how to do it right. There are many ins and outs. However, as I said, EBay has changed their policy to make it easier to do and it isn't against their policies in many cases. The only losers are the buyers who pay more than they should. And, that is a plus for EBay; they make more money with shillers bumping up the prices. There are sellers who have numerous shillers bidding, making it look almost legit if you do not know what to look for. The only thing I advise is to check bidding patterns carefully and, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck. It is definitely a buyer beware situation.

I have an EBay account with no PP attached. I am not a shiller. lol
The big time shillers know how to do it right. There are many ins and outs. However, as I said, EBay has changed their policy to make it easier to do and it isn't against their policies in many cases. The only losers are the buyers who pay more than they should. And, that is a plus for EBay; they make more money with shillers bumping up the prices. There are sellers who have numerous shillers bidding, making it look almost legit if you do not know what to look for. The only thing I advise is to check bidding patterns carefully and, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck. It is definitely a buyer beware situation.

It's unfortunate that e-bay turns their head at what is illegal according to their pages. Even if I did notice a shiller, then what's the point of reporting it if they don't care? Shame. On. Them! :yucky: