Long-time satchel lover seeking a hobo conversion. . .

muzzket

les*nouveaux*punx
Jun 15, 2010
Glamorous Midwest
Hello ladies and gents!
So for as long as I have loved purses, I have fallen in love exclusively with satchel-style bags. Old Michael Kors satchel in high school, then RM MAM, then Balenciaga twiggy. But lately there's a part of me that is being intrigued by the hobo-style shoulder bag, and I'm thinking maybe there's a whole sector of the designer purse market that I've been ignoring. (And thereby now get to research diligently) How exciting! Only thing is, I don't really know where to start. What are your favorite designers/materials/styles/colors/whatever? What hobo do you absolutely love? Tell me all about it! I am eager to learn.

purse-nality

SemiKindCharmedLife
O.G.
Nov 7, 2007
when i hear hobo, i immediately think Bottega Veneta... best timeless iconic hobo there is! :tender:

next, YSL Roady... btw, i don't any of these bags! :shame:

muzzket

les*nouveaux*punx
Jun 15, 2010
Glamorous Midwest
thank you for your input!! I've actually been creeping around the YSL subforum recently, so I'll check out the roady. although i'll probably find myself drawn to the Muse Two, as per usual . . . what is it about slouchy satchels that gets me every time? What's your preferred style, purse-nality?

thedseer

her?
O.G.
Sep 27, 2009
the DMV
i love the bottega veneta veneta and bottega veneta cervo hobo. i've also been thinking about getting a balenciaga day.

i'm a satchel girl, but hobos can really showcase the leather, and they can be wonderfully slouchy and lightweight : )

raj

O.G.
Jan 20, 2006
Muzzket, I've also been thinking about making the switch from satchels to hobos. So far I'm having a hard time finding something other than the balenciaga day with a zipper top.

jcriley5

Feb 3, 2007
USA
haha i usually love hobos and I finally bought a satchel today! I really like my Hayden Harnett Havana. But I agree that BV has the prettiest- out of my price range though!

dyyong

World Peace
O.G.
Jan 25, 2008
Big RiNGo
I'm a satchel lover too!!!! I had tried few hobo and ended up back to satchel, and now start looking for another hobo since I just had a baby and need both hands free ;)
I would suggest Bakenciaga Day or Bottega Veneta hobo, Day is very slouchy more casual look, and BV is very elegant but still can be wear dress up or down, I'm also looking at Isabella Fiore Audra, can't tell yet since I haven't seen it IRL but there were a thread about the hobo caught my eyes and heart lol

muzzket

les*nouveaux*punx
Jun 15, 2010
Glamorous Midwest
Thanks everyone for your input! :hugs: :flowers:

I actually impulse-bought a bag last night, haha. [I had already taken my sleeping pill, but accidentally stayed on *bay too long. My decision-making skills are negatively affected the longer I stay up :Push:smile: I had a small amount of buyer's remorse when I checked my email in the morning: "Congratulations! You won auction # . . . " But, after some trolling on the Hayden-Harnett subforum, I've decided I'm really excited for my new-to-me Aubergine Burke satchel to get here!!! And bonus, I was able to justify the purchase by calling it a congratulatory gift to myself- I found out earlier this week that I got the internship I applied for in Manhattan!! :happydance:

So, I know I was totally intending to get a hobo, and I really appreciate the insight you've given me vis-a-vis the world of single-handled handbags! :lol: But I think a satchel-type-briefcase will be practical. (And beautiful! Have y'all seen this bag? I'm so obsessed!)
I love tPF :hugs: You guys are so great.

tiggycat

Jul 29, 2009
I'm the other way, always carried hobos and shoulder bags and just got my first satchel (L.A.M.B. Walderston) a few weeks ago. I love it and a few days ago I carried one of my leather Coach shoulder bags to an event because it looked more dressy, and after one day my shoulder pain was back. I think it's because I hunch up my shoulder to keep it on.

longchamper

Dec 30, 2009
Europe
Funny, I always used to prefer structured handbags too, and never even looked at a hobo. For some reason, I used to equate them to a somewhat hippie style, which was not really for me. What turned me around was the discovery (via TPF, of course) that there are hobos out there which are elegant, feminine and timeless classics. Not to mention the comfort. Now I am a total convert!

My favourites:
- Bottega Veneta Cervo Hobo
- Balenciaga Day
- YSL Roady

I feel these are the ultimate bags as they are ultra-versatile, take you from the office to the weekend (true, the Day is not so much an office bag but perfect for weekends), fit a lot and are very comfortable. And wearing them makes you feel like a million bucks!

Muzzket, congratulations on the internship and hope you enjoy your new bag. When the time is right, a hobo will come :smile: