Long term effects of olive oil??

taraox

Feb 5, 2012
I replaced the strap on one of my bags and it's super light compared to the rest of it... I've been trying to tan it but it's been cloudy and cold and I really just wanna use my bag. I've read on here about using olive oil to darken vachetta, but I want to know from people who've done this what the long term effects are. Like will it ruin the strap in the long run? Will the strap I put olive oil on eventually turn way darker than the strap that doesn't have olive oil?? I don't like my bags to patina super dark, I like them to stay honey colored so I use them sparingly.. If I oil the strap, will it darken beyond the honey color because of the oil? Thanks!!

Jul 3, 2006
It will destroy the leather. Do not oil it. Let it patina natural. Oiling the leather is one of the worst things you could do.

roey

O.G.
Mar 1, 2006
In the sunshine!
Leather is skin and needs to breathe. Oil will clog the pores and make a mess of it. Please just leave it alone and let it patina naturally!

taraox

Feb 5, 2012
Ugh I was afraid of this. Is there another way to get the strap to match?? It's literally white on one side, and very tan on the other... it looks pretty dumb :S

Jul 3, 2006
taraox said:
Ugh I was afraid of this. Is there another way to get the strap to match?? It's literally white on one side, and very tan on the other... it looks pretty dumb :S
I have been known to use a tanning bed. LOL!

designvixen

chic, en noir
Jan 6, 2010
Pasadena CA
Glad you decided not to oil it. Oil goes rancid over time. It will start to smell bad and cause leather to decompose. It will erode stitching too.

Jul 3, 2006
Ahh I have a tanning bed!! Does that work?? How long should I tan it for and how many sessions does it take to see progress? Thanks! :smile:
I did mine 20 minutes a day for about 3 weeks. The people at the tanning salon got a charge out of it.

eal76

Feb 3, 2013
North America
I was thinking oil would hurt the stitching. I actually wonder about it with all of the treatments people use (LMB for example) I prefer to just leave untreated

taraox

Feb 5, 2012
Hmm.. well, I bit the bullet and just oiled it :oh: I know, I know! BUT, the color difference was just too noticeable (one strap was white, the other was tan) and I don't want to wait weeks to use it since I need it to tote my daily items around in. I was talking to my mom and apparently she oiled her mono bag like 5 years ago, and I was surprised because I didn't know that and the bag looks beautiful.. perfectly even patina, mint looking condition... Soo I just risked it because I figured if hers looks great 5 years after oiling, it can't be that terrible... Plus they sell various treatments (mink oil etc) for leather boots and couches (even though I know vachetta is different). Honestly, it's an experiment lol, and I figure if anything bad happens down the road, I'll just replace the strap again. I don't really buy my bags with the intention of still having them 20 years from now, so I guess I'll see what happens!

jellyv

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
The advice you asked for was 100% against doing it. I have to wonder what the point of the thread was.

Good luck.