Long Lasting Graduating Present?

ahs483

Jun 17, 2006
Hi ladies,
I'm graduating college in May. My parents would like to get me a present that will last me for a really long time. I would LOVE a Birkin, but it's a little out of their price range. Some ideas I was thinking of were:
-a nice watch
-pair of diamond studs
-trench coat
-classic black leather bag

I am moving to Seattle when I graduate so I thought a nice trench coat would be a good present, but I would also want something else. I was looking at Rolex's, can anyone name some watch brands similar but maybe slightly cheaper?

If you were graduating from college and could get a present that was going to last you a long time, what would you choose, and why? I think the budget would need to be around 5 grand or under, give or take. Thank you!

a watch. your taste in the trench or bag might change but a good, solid, beautiful watch is something you can wear for life. my father who is 63 still wears the rolex his parents gifted him at 17 and when he dies it's going to be mine.

I would also vote watch, or diamond stud earrings. I would lean towards the watch as diamonds earrings are historically more of a romantic gift, while a timepiece is more of a graduation/achievement gift.

$5000.00 or under means you're most probably going to have to go with a stainless steel watch, with minimal gold and diamonds, if you are set on a luxury or prestige brand and are going to buy from an authorized dealer (as opposed to a discount seller like Costco or a previously-owned watch).

There are so many brands that I could recommend, but it depends on many factors. Do you like more trendy (Michele), sporty (TAG Heuer), or more of a classic (Baume & Mercier, Longines, Omega)? Or maybe more of an "artsy", architectural look (Movado, Rado)? Do you want one associated with a major fashion label (Dior, Chanel, Gucci)?

I would highly recommend spending some time browsing online at Tourneau, Ernest Jones, or a similar site that has a wide range of watches.

As for what holds its value best and would be a "forever" watch that is available somewhat near that price range...I personally say that Rolex is king, followed by Breitling, Omega, and Cartier. Brands that have been around forever, never seem to be discounted, and that don't work with gold-plate or crystals (only gold and diamonds). Basically, "If it was good enough for my Grandmother to wear..."

I would definitely go for a watch.

A trench coat or a bag you can get by yourself. There isn't as much of a sentimental value to these items as styles come and go and also eventually get worn out.

A watch can be passed on for generations if the right one is selected. I agree with the previous post about a rolex, but you might have to stretch the budget a little to get one that is worth it. I am not sure if you are into wearing bigger watches but a Submariner would be a great choice. If you want to stick a little closer to budget then maybe something like a woman's datejust would work for you.

Another brand that you could look into would be Cartier. The Tank and the Santos are both classic designs that will last for a long time. You could also pick a Ballon Bleu or a Roadster for something a little more trendy.

I would personally go for a watch brand that has a great history of watchmaking like Jaeger LeCoultre. Their Reverso design is an iconic design that has been around for over half a century.

I would stay away from brands like Michele, Gucci or Dior. These brands are more fashion or trend based and will not stand to the test of time.

I vote for a watch also! Beautiful, timeless, and functional everyday... the perfect gift to commemorate a big event.

As somebody living in Seattle who moved here from a warmer place (California) a trench is not warm enough ;) If it's raining it's generally 45 or below and you'll want a wool or down jacket! We generally don't get much of that warm spring rain that I imagine trenches are for.

I would definitely go for a watch.

A trench coat or a bag you can get by yourself. There isn't as much of a sentimental value to these items as styles come and go and also eventually get worn out.

A watch can be passed on for generations if the right one is selected. I agree with the previous post about a rolex, but you might have to stretch the budget a little to get one that is worth it. I am not sure if you are into wearing bigger watches but a Submariner would be a great choice. If you want to stick a little closer to budget then maybe something like a woman's datejust would work for you.

Another brand that you could look into would be Cartier. The Tank and the Santos are both classic designs that will last for a long time. You could also pick a Ballon Bleu or a Roadster for something a little more trendy.

I would personally go for a watch brand that has a great history of watchmaking like Jaeger LeCoultre. Their Reverso design is an iconic design that has been around for over half a century.

I would stay away from brands like Michele, Gucci or Dior. These brands are more fashion or trend based and will not stand to the test of time.

good tips. Im hoping my parents will stretch the budget so I can get a Rolex. I agree about Michele, Gucci, Dior, etc....good tips, thank you!

I vote for a watch also! Beautiful, timeless, and functional everyday... the perfect gift to commemorate a big event.

As somebody living in Seattle who moved here from a warmer place (California) a trench is not warm enough ;) If it's raining it's generally 45 or below and you'll want a wool or down jacket! We generally don't get much of that warm spring rain that I imagine trenches are for.

I'm REALLY glad you told me that about the trench! good to know, thank you!

I'd lean towards the watch or diamond studs, yet I can see how a classic black bag can be useful for interviews and stuff (though bear in mind you'd probably want a good quality but non extravagant one for such purposes).

I'm leaning towards a watch. But I don't really want one unless it's a Rolex. after looking at other designers and styles I really just like Rolex the best. If that isn't doable, I'm thinking a classic black bag (understated but very nice), maybe a YSL or simple Prada top handle. Plus maybe a jacket that I can wear in Seattle weather

One big thing about getting a watch is trying it on. I had my heart set on a bigger watch, but when I tried them on, I liked a smaller one with my small wrists and daily use. Try going to a few high end jewelry stores around you and trying some on and don't limit yourself to brands. Or even just go to Nordstrom and try on cheaper brands to see what size/ color you like before trying on some of the big brands. I went in totally open to brand and spent a whole weekend looking for watches with my dad when I was home for spring break, and then a month or so here in NYC. I wound up finding the perfect one with my dad- an Omega. The good watch brands are something that can last for a long time. You might also be able to find a used Rolex at an authorized seller so you don't go over your budget. My dad has bought a few used watches and most of them look spotless and don't cost as much as a brand new one. They typically come with the same packaging and the store will still make it a special experience for you!

As much as I want a Rolex, I'm not sure my parents want to spend that much...What about this prada bag?

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...me=Prada&N=4294912360+306418110&bmUID=jRaLYll

I need a classic, simple black leather bag for professional things...right now all I have is Louis and none of it is appropriate for things like job interviews or meetings and what not. So I was thinking maybe this and a nice Burberry coat or something.

Thoughts?

That bag is pretty, and is a very classic style.

Have you looked into Omega? Their constallation line is classy and not as flashy as the Rolex.
Then again, I'm biased to Omega as it was my choice for my HS graduation.