"Loners"

i've always been a "quality" over "quantity" girl...hence the fact i only have one bag. :biggrin: however, it's only in the last year or so that i've finally accepted that this philosophy sometimes means going without. :s

my intuition is one of the things i don't take for granted anymore. i always wanted to stay home and read a book but i felt like i was supposed to reach out, you know? it took a lot of years to reach the point where i was actually happy to read the book instead of cultivating a friendship/relationship that i knew within the first 10 minutes of meeting someone would ultimately annoy me. in the end, i am happier this way.

i can definately turn on my social side when it suits me, but it takes a LOT of energy. at this point in my life, i am not willing to do that anymore unless there is a direct benefit to me. call me selfish or anti social...i don't care anymore. i'm just content with the way things are. :yes: like you said in your first post: if you don't enjoy your own company, who else can? :flowers1:

I grew up in a small family and my brother is ten years older than I am. I can remember always playing at home by myself even though I had lots of friends at school. I just liked being alone. Now I have a job that demands I interact with a lot of people so I really need alone time. I would say I am definately a loner.

I love my 'alone time'! It sounds really geeky when you say that at my age, but I really don't care what people think. Like Ilzabet said, sometimes you feel like you're supposed to be out every week, and people don't always accept that you prefer your own company. I enjoy going out with other people to the cinema or for a meal as I love to gossip and have a laugh, but I'm not keen on that constant friendship thing where you feel like you have to call each other everyday, sometimes I just need my own space and luckily the people in my life understand that.

I just LOVE being alone.
I think I was always that way. I've outgrown the terrible shyness I suffered as a child/teen - but I value my alone-time so much....so much so I've been known to switch the phone off at times to ensure my solitude remains undisturbed.

i'm a loner thru and thru; that's just how i am. i have a very social family, so they always thought there was something wrong with me when i seemed to overwhelmingly prefer to shop, go to the movies, or spend a weekend reading a book and/or writing in my journal by myself. i'd rather be alone and happy than surround myself with a bunch of people just to keep up appearances, which is something i feel like my family pushes me to do sometimes.

When I was younger I always hung out in groups. In school the more the merrier. Now I am happy to be alone. Thats probably becuase my time is consumed with work, kids, hubby, puppy. There isn't much alone time so when I find some I really appreciate it.

Typically I do not like to be alone. I don't need to be surrounded by tons of people, but to have people I truly love and care with me makes me happy. But I have come to points in my life where alone time was the only way to find out what I was truly thinking and how to make myself and my life better. So I appreciate the alone time also.

Vlad is going to Germany this coming Saturday for a week and a half, that will be a short bout of alone time that I can kind of re-connect with myself.

Ha that sounded funny typing it all out...

I'm an only child and I was really shy when I was younger so I was (still am) used to being alone. I like hanging out with friends but I sometimes feel a little overwhelmed when there's a lot of people around.

I've almost only had a couple good friends- actually my "best" friend has been such since kindergarten.
I go into spurts where I stay home for months and months and don't call anybody, but then I get antsy and aggrivated and don't ever want to be home.
But yes, I've been a homebody forever. Around 21 or so I changed a bit, and went out more, but I still stay in and work more often than not. I'm 24 so I think that this is probably not "normal" behavior :sad: Mom always yells at me. "When I was your age I was going out and meeting people all the time"
guh.

I always was like this. I was an only child whose parents were always gone so I got used to being independent in what I did at a young age.
Now, my friends who always need people around feel "sorry" for me because I do things by myself or go out with my couple friends to events. I think I got so used to it at a young age that relationships scare me because I lose the ability to always do what I want. Also, I like going shopping alone and not having to "ask" what anyone else wants. I really perfer it, but people just don't understand it because they're different. I don't understand people who can't do anything alone. It is a simple as that. I like going with friends, but I'd rather relax at home than go to a party.

I would rather be alone too. I do not like crowds really and I prefer the company of only my closest friends and family. I just get tired of people and noise and "issues". I am 35. When I was younger, I worked in very public businesses, and I was around lots of people all the time and they all "wanted" something. I did it all...partying and schmoozing....now my life is more calm. My job now is very interesting, and quite for the most part.

I realized fairly recently that although I enjoy people, I need to "re-charge" with alone time afterward, because I feel drained. This is most significant if I am in a large group of people. Apparently this is common with introverts.

I have always been kind of a loner, or enjoyed the company of a few people. Some of us are just like that!

I am this way....I feel exhusted after I spend alot of time with bunch of people......I really need my alone time or I get cranky or feel overhelmed....

Its weird...maybe b/c I am an only child or something....:P

i can definately turn on my social side when it suits me, but it takes a LOT of energy. at this point in my life, i am not willing to do that anymore unless there is a direct benefit to me. call me selfish or anti social...i don't care anymore. i'm just content with the way things are. :yes: like you said in your first post: if you don't enjoy your own company, who else can? :flowers1:

I agree and empathize with everything everyone else has already posted. And, ilzabet, you expressed it best for my situation. Although I have been happily married for 26 years, I still like to be by myself best of all. I do have things that I like to do..... ballet, flute, walk, read, and take care of my five pets, but I don't need people-friend contact. Never have. Never encouraged anyone with a "welcome mat".