LONELY Hermes Club!

Hi cxyvr & Yorelica,

Yes I am from Vancouver. I wondered about cx too (Cathy Pacific)!! Yes cxyvr, I got my Birkin in Vancouver.

I found myself contradictory :supacool: . On one hand I would love to have my bag sooner but on the other hand I don't want the SA to call me (that means I have to pay for the purchase). However, I do feel excited about thinking about the bag that I ordered.

are you from cx too? cxyvr? we might know each other.

I have four savings accounts. Not 1 or 2, but 4 savings accounts. One of my savings accounts is strictly for my Birkin. I buy lots of little things from Hermes, but I really want a Birkin. I'm not picky. Just one. One I can call my own.

It could be used or new. I don't care. Just a little Birkin would make my life right.

I have four savings accounts. Not 1 or 2, but 4 savings accounts. One of my savings accounts is strictly for my Birkin. I buy lots of little things from Hermes, but I really want a Birkin. I'm not picky. Just one. One I can call my own.

It could be used or new. I don't care. Just a little Birkin would make my life right.
Well, elongreach, this is where I play Devil's Advocate and say make sure you choose the right Birkin for yourself. It's a lot of money to pay for a bag that you only have so-so feelings for. And I've been there, done that. Bought a Birkin because I listened to everyone else's opinion and not following my heart and ended up with almost $8000 of lukewarm feelings. Please don't buy just because it's a Birkin, you may end up regretting it. Make sure you buy the one that's right FOR YOU.

Sometimes the forced waiting/patience is good too. This year since joining tPF I have bought a lot! :P Lately circumstances have dictated that my disposable income goes to emergencies other than buying fun stuff. :rolleyes: But in a way I think it is good because I have slowed down and thought about what I *really* want and what I really like as opposed to getitgetitgetit!!! KWIM? :shame:

Well, elongreach, this is where I play Devil's Advocate and say make sure you choose the right Birkin for yourself. It's a lot of money to pay for a bag that you only have so-so feelings for. And I've been there, done that. Bought a Birkin because I listened to everyone else's opinion and not following my heart and ended up with almost $8000 of lukewarm feelings. Please don't buy just because it's a Birkin, you may end up regretting it. Make sure you buy the one that's right FOR YOU.

I'm not going to buy just anything. I do have standards. But I'm not really picky when it comes to leather and stitching and all that stuff. If I like it then I'll buy it.

This thread definitely speaks to me at a certain level. I got my first and only Hermes bag during the summer...a gold Birkin that I love and adore :heart: I had wanted one forever and it was a sort of celebratory gift to myself for graduating university and finding a good job. I find myself at the point where I want to purchase more H bags...but realistically even the "one bag a year" makes me hesitant now....I think I may have to wait longer than that for my next major bag purchase.

I do believe that buying H bags is an extravagance and you should have earned it (in my opinion..and for somebody in my situation, as I am not a collector but just somebody who enjoys luxury goods). I will be frank here and say that my family has helped me with my lifestyle...real estate, school, etc. But to me, an H bag is something that I should be able to purchase ON MY OWN...as in, it makes sense for my salary level. I'm a bit of a hypocrite here as other things such as the place I live, car I drive etc. do not correspond with my salary either...but Hermes is such an extravagance and I really think that those types of purchases should be ones that I myself earn and which makes sense for my station in life, job level, etc. This is no judgement on anybody else in the forum but honestly for myself to keep buying Hermes I have to be earning $$$$ myself. I do make good money for somebody my age but does that translate into making $8k bags more than once or even once a year fiscally responsible? I've recently had to face the facts and admit to myself that it doesn't. My mother has quite a few H bags herself but when I think back to when she started purchasing them...it wasn't until perhaps 4 years or so ago. I try to remember that fact to help me keep perspective on the whole thing.

Sorry for going OT here but my parents went through a very bitter divorce several years ago and both have subsequently remarried, but not without years of battles with lawyers, arbitration, etc. The whole thing really impacted me (self absorbed only child syndrome) and really made an impression to me that having your own money and making sure that you can support yourself is VERY important. So right now my H buying is on a bit of a hold and I'd definitely love the join the lonely Hermes club! And I'd like to repeat what others have already mentioned and say that this is a lovely idea for a topic. :yes:

Separate savings accounts are a great idea. For me, I'm pretty recently into my career (another attorney here) and while my income is good I'm trying to plot out my financial goals and at what savings/investment level I would be comfortable making such a large purchase. I do think Hermes is worth it though, a classic extravagance.

I was actually really disappointed recently on my trip to Paris because I had planned on purchasing a black leather with palladium collier de chien bracelet and they were out! So this thread comes at a great time for me. Hermesgroupie was sweet enough to tell me that they'll be stocking up in NYC this fall, so hopefully if I'm up there I can purchase one then.

Its so nice how supportive everyone is on this board!

You say "one" now, but wait! The first Birkin will initiate the addiction! Warning. :lol:

You say "one" now, but wait! The first Birkin will initiate the addiction! Warning. :lol:

I barely have a enough strength to pay 1600 for a bag. I'm going to have a heart attack the day I dump 8 to 10k on a bag. I may lose my BF when that happens. If he ever finds that secret savings account, he may just kill me before I have a chance to get my Birkin.:Push:

Kat, that was a wonderful and heartfelt post. You are absolutely on track and your priorites are in the right place. The fact that your mom only started buying H bags 4 years ago helps you to understand that they are something of a milestone. The 16 year old asking if she is too young to have one is something I couldn't even bring myself to respond to. Truthfully, I've only felt comfortable lately wearing my black Kelly. I have no trouble with the colors, but when it came to black I felt it was something I had to be old enough to wear with comfort. Well, it finally happened when I put my Tohu Bohu black twilly on her. Does that make sense? It does to me in a twisted way:lol:

Yes Japster, thanks to you I have a great SA.

thank you

And if you ever want to have coffee or a shopping partner, you've got my number. I can also introduce you to a ton of other doc's wives in the area.
I was in your neck o' the woods the other day checking out the new renovated mall. So much work and you think they could put a freakin' Neiman's or Sak's in it!!