Loneliness and COVID-19

rugchomp

Dec 16, 2015
I have heard that rates of loneliness rise because there is no in-person social contact due to physical distancing rules, this could exacerbate pre-existing mental health conditions. I for one admit that these past few months have been lonely for me, but I am holding on and hoping that everything will go back to normal. How about you, how does this isolation affect your mental health?

I Am single and moved to a new state 6 weeks before SIP started. Luckily I made a few friends right away But I have not had any success dating during this time or Meeting more new friends. It has definitely not been all I had imagined when I planned the move. I am hopeful that this won’t last much longer because it’s definitely been hard, some days much more so than others. But I know that I am in such a better position than so many people so I try to stay positive.

I am happily married with lovely children and still struggle at times. To be vulnerable is to be human. I have resumed going to therapy twice a month and went to the doc today so I could get something prescribed to help manage my anxiety. These are trying times...please seek help to keep yourself optimistic and healthy.I am of the camp that it is a sign of strength to seek support when you are struggling.

definitely affects my mental health. Many ways have been positive. When so much of the noise is stripped away, when you have watched everything on Netflix, Tiktok is boring you and there is no one around you to distract you .... then all you have is yourself. I will come out of this much stronger, calmer and with a completely different attitude about what's important.

My 87 year old mum is on her own in dreadful ill health -she has been widowed for 16 years -she loves her friends and family and has missed them awfully these last 10 months while she has been shielded but yesterday she said to me " I have backbone and I can stand being alone for as long as it takes even over Christmas -people these days have no backbone no concern or care for others and bleat on and on crying about their mental health even though they are out shopping and exercising -they should be bloody ashamed " I am so proud of my brave wee mum

I Am single and moved to a new state 6 weeks before SIP started. Luckily I made a few friends right away But I have not had any success dating during this time or Meeting more new friends. It has definitely not been all I had imagined when I planned the move. I am hopeful that this won’t last much longer because it’s definitely been hard, some days much more so than others. But I know that I am in such a better position than so many people so I try to stay positive.

My dear friend recently broke up with her boyfriend of six years. They live together. I really wish she lived closer :sad:

My 87 year old mum is on her own in dreadful ill health -she has been widowed for 16 years -she loves her friends and family and has missed them awfully these last 10 months while she has been shielded but yesterday she said to me " I have backbone and I can stand being alone for as long as it takes even over Christmas -people these days have no backbone no concern or care for others and bleat on and on crying about their mental health even though they are out shopping and exercising -they should be bloody ashamed " I am so proud of my brave wee mum
That’s amazing and wonderful.

I know this may sound stupid, but hear me out please. :wave:
Try doing some light to medium exercises, yoga, dancing routines, jazzercise, whatever floats your boat!
Put some songs on the TV, radio, phone, whatever you have and get to it. :yes:

The exercise releases endorphins (happy hormones) into your brain and bloodstream.
You don't have to go berserk, just do 20 to 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week. :yahoo:

I'll bet that most all of you will feel better and healthier after about 3 weeks of this. :tup:

I am trying hard to be positive. I'm an introvert so I thought I would be fine with all this. But I realize now those surface type relationships really meant a lot to me. Just interacting casually with people all day meant a lot to me. @RT1 I got an elliptical and hopefully will be able to have it put together soon. I am really looking forward to having something positive to focus on.

Hi all! Thanks for all your warm responses.

It has been a real struggle but I'm thankful that I'm part of this community. I feel welcomed and heard, so thanks. That means a lot.

Your mom is one brave and amazing soul! Now, I feel awful for even complaining about being lonely. :biggrin: Send my regards. Tell her there's another soul somewhere inspired by her strength.

I know this may sound stupid, but hear me out please. :wave:
Try doing some light to medium exercises, yoga, dancing routines, jazzercise, whatever floats your boat!
Put some songs on the TV, radio, phone, whatever you have and get to it. :yes:

The exercise releases endorphins (happy hormones) into your brain and bloodstream.
You don't have to go berserk, just do 20 to 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week. :yahoo:

I'll bet that most all of you will feel better and healthier after about 3 weeks of this. :tup:

I also read about this! It's not stupid, it's actually smart and scientific. Thank you. Been trying to push myself to do these things for days. I have to try harder. :biggrin:

Fortunately i live with my husband, our two children and my mother in law. so there isn't much 'loneliness' at home. What there is though is a little too much time around each other! The kids are at each others throats and are missing the socialization they got from going to school. Thankfully (or not so thankful?) I am an essential worker at the post office so i get my socialization and contact that way.

Myself and my oldest daughter have both made use of therapy over this time. Our therapists say they've seen a huge increase in the need for therapy.

Stay strong folks!

definitely affects my mental health. Many ways have been positive. When so much of the noise is stripped away, when you have watched everything on Netflix, Tiktok is boring you and there is no one around you to distract you .... then all you have is yourself. I will come out of this much stronger, calmer and with a completely different attitude about what's important.

I feel you, the loneliness is really hard but I know we will all be okay soon.

Your mom sounds like someone I aspire to be!