Travel London? Rome? Which is cheaper for designer shopping??

mlbags

O.G.
Sep 21, 2006
In general, is London or Rome cheaper? I'll be there in April. First London then Rome. Just want to be sure as if I don't know any better, I might do all my designer shopping in London! Thanks for whatever comments/advises you may have for me.

I see you decided for Rome after London, we were waiting for your answer in the other thread you have opened!
I suggest you to check the websites of the designer you're looking to buy, and set the UK or IT shopping, so you see prices in £ and euro and can make the conversion to your currency and get an idea which country is cheaper for a certain brand.

Thanks Maryg1..... I have not set my mind on a particular item or brand to go for..... in fact, I have nothing on my wishlist at this moment.

I just want to know better. In case I should see a particular item in London and if it is generally cheaper in Rome, then I'll hunt that down when in Rome!

Your suggestion is good. I might zero in on a particular handbag for example, and do a comparison from there. Thanks again.

As a general rule, brands are cheaper in their origin country, e.g Chanel in France, McQueen in the UK, Marc Jacobs in the U.S etc. So it would depend on what designer you're looking at, otherwise I'd definitely recommend you price things online first. I'd also check availability of the designer in both those cities - for instance, Rick Owens or Chloé are a lot easier to get in London, but if you want Fendi, you'll find a better selection in Rome.

I see you're coming from Asia so I'm not sure. I know for US shoppers our dollar is more valuable in the EU rather than the UK. It's worth doing the conversion as someone else suggested.

it depends on the designer as well as the exchange rate at the time. the pound is rather weak at the moment, but these things go up and down so you really need to check closer to the time.

Thank you to all for your comments. I now get the idea.
In London, I'll check out on Mulberry, Burberry, etc.
In Rome, I'll check out on Fendi, Gucci, Bottega, etc.

Thanks again and I am getting more and more excited on my impending trip to London and Rome. I will still need to research more on these two places and TPF here is so helpful with its wealth of resources. The members here are a GEM!