Loewe or Hermes for Everyday Bag HELP?

momshj

Feb 6, 2017
I have bags from all designers, LV (3) Chanel (2) BV (2) Ferragamo (8) and then lower price point bags. I do have one WOC from Loewe. I am thinking of adding a new everyday bag but need something well made, not trendy and age appropriate. I am mid 50's and do not want to carry tote bags anymore unless necessary. Is it worth it to purchase an Hermes Evelyne or spend 1K less for a Loewe? Pros, cons, thoughts.... TIA

I own two Hermès Evelynes (and various other H bags) that I use a lot and want to get a Loewe Puzzle bag later this year. I have seen Loewe bags only recently in real life, but have never owned them.

At first glance Hermès bags look slightly better made, more expensive (which they are), which I think is because of the look of the glazing. The glazing on Loewe bags somehow looks "cheaper" and from what I read here will also get cracks as opposed to H bag glazing. However, I have seen youtube videos raving about Loewe quality (worn frequently for a year, looking like new), so I think it's just a subtle difference in quality. H bags will stay looking pristine for many years (unless you use them carelessly).

So when it boils down to a decision you need to consider the following:
- which design you prefer
- whether you are okay with an open top bag (the Evy is basically open top)
- what colour options are available (you can frequently find Hermes Evelynes in the stores and also online, but if you are looking for a specific colour you might need to wait)

@momshj, you mentioned your other bags are LV; chanel; Ferragamo; and you are considering Loewe versus Hermes Evelyne. IMO only, the evelyne is a very different type of bag from the other brands (except for perhaps a NeverFull), in that it’s basically an unlined, simple, open top crossbody. I’m 53 and perhaps in the minority, but my evelynes and vespas are my least used H bags (however, I don’t actually carry the most practical bags). Stylistically it’s like comparing chanel or akris RTW (which are relativey structured) to issey miyake or amrani country. . .

Re size, I’m 5’2“ and medium build with a larger shoulder and upper arm, and the evelyne GM is a bit too sloppy on me (It hugs the body and drapes in a way that is a bit similar t9 the drape of a large BV hobo). The 29, while the right size for my frame, doesn’t hold as much as the vintage 35 trim II (which I would recommend over the evelyne). The 31 Trim II has a more east west shape (the 35 appears to be more North South) that IMO is more dated. . . . In Togo or clemence. The 35 Trim II is relatively structured (in vintage barenia, the 35 becomes slightly puddled). The reason why I recommend the trim over the evelyne is p I think the evelyne is a bit youthful (Teens- thirties would be the evelyne sweet spot. Opinions differ, and this is only my opinion. I do still have regular evelyne 29s in my collection.

another oprion which IMO is more sophisticated, albeit more of a pain to get into, is the evelyne sellier. I bought two of them for my DH. In color gold, the 33 is too big for me to borrow, but in black, it looks simply like I chose a larger bag to wear. My SA was able to obtain a black 33 from the men’s store. I believe @diane278 has a black 29 evelyne sellier that she wears with a black and white crossbody strap.

re the quality of Loewe. My mom is a fan of the Loewe puzzle bag and It seems very well made. Other designers that may be of interest are Moynat and delvaux.

Good Luck and happy bag shopping!

Last edited:
I am 52 and was also deciding between puzzle or evelyne and went with the puzzle. I like the puzzle because it has a handle for hand carry or on the arm and also strap for shoulder carry or crossbody, there are just so many ways to use the bag. I did not like the evelyne because there is no zipper and I felt the bag was too deep and everything would fall to the bottom of bag and when you put too many things the bag loses its shape.

I have both and they are just totally different. I have E Pm and the small Puzzle. The Evelyne is more of a throw-around bag and strictly a casual crossbody. It holds more than the Puzzle. It's more hard wearing. The Puzzle is lighter and more comfortable, holds all my essentials, and can go day-to-evening much easier. Mine is also black, so that's a factor. The Puzzle is beautifully made and more refined than the Evelyne. Both have a spot in my collection and I use them both a lot. If I had to choose one, it would be the Puzzle

Hermes quality is better, but personally I am not a big fan of the Evelyn. That is just a question of taste, but if you don’t love it I’d go with Loewe for a modern, classic, every day bag. As others said, to me the Evy is a very sort of sporty informal crossbody and I don’t think that strap and shape fits every outfit/daily task...

I now decided on Loewe instead of Hermes for my day bag. I am not in love with The Puzzle but did fall head over heels for The Barcelona. Any people here that can give me their review.... pros/cons? I am thinking of the Oat color for spring/summer and hoping it stays clean.