Loewe Craftsmanship and Leather Sourcing

Finally, the leather quality...I've heard that Loewe uses leather from the same supplier as Hermes...

SO, does anyone know:

2) who supplies Loewe leather? Is it the same place that sends Hermes its leather?

I always find it interesting to learn more about how the "HOW" behind the "WHAT".

Maybe they have at some point shared some supplier, but there is certainly not one single place that supplies Hermes or Loewe. Leather sourcing and tanning are small businesses. Hermes now has its own tanneries (in addition to providers), which I don‘t believe Loewe does. What I know is that Loewe traditionally uses lambskin from a Spanish breed of the Pyrinees (cordero entrefino) and that they have leather suppliers in the area of Ubrique, in south of Spain.

I just wore my tan puzzle bag in smooth leather in the rain and noticed some small dark areas on the leather and thought I ruined it (1x1 cm areas several places on the bag).
I wiped it dry when I came home and slowly the dark areas disappeared, but not immediately.
I see several of you writing that you had no problems with the bag in the rain, I'm just confused why my bag "reacted" this way. Anybody knows?

Thanks a lot for your reply, despair. I'm afraid mine isn't as sturdy, I wonder why.
I'll have to be more careful with the bag than I thought, too bad it rains a lot here (Germany).

I just wore my tan puzzle bag in smooth leather in the rain and noticed some small dark areas on the leather and thought I ruined it (1x1 cm areas several places on the bag).
I wiped it dry when I came home and slowly the dark areas disappeared, but not immediately.
I see several of you writing that you had no problems with the bag in the rain, I'm just confused why my bag "reacted" this way. Anybody knows?
I think it’s just natural with leather cuz it’ll absorb moisture etc and as long as it eventually disappear, I would not worry so much (I have a small puzzle that got rained on few times and it always dry out eventually)

Thanks a lot for your reply, despair. I'm afraid mine isn't as sturdy, I wonder why.
I'll have to be more careful with the bag than I thought, too bad it rains a lot here (Germany).
I really don’t think water will be an issue, we have quite a few leather goods from Loewe and none of them actually shows up with any water stains even though they get wet pretty frequently (am in Singapore so it’s raining pretty often too). This current trip to Japan I’ve brought along my satin calf puzzle and it got snowed on a few days without issues either.

I think it’s just natural with leather cuz it’ll absorb moisture etc and as long as it eventually disappear, I would not worry so much (I have a small puzzle that got rained on few times and it always dry out eventually)
I really don’t think water will be an issue, we have quite a few leather goods from Loewe and none of them actually shows up with any water stains even though they get wet pretty frequently (am in Singapore so it’s raining pretty often too). This current trip to Japan I’ve brought along my satin calf puzzle and it got snowed on a few days without issues either.
That's good info guys, thanks. I'll try not to worry then! :smile:

Hello everyone!

I was hoping for some advice :yes:

I already have 2 Puzzle bags in my collection - small in Raspberry and medium in Asphalt (dark grey). Both pieces are in soft grained leather (and seasonal colours) and I have had both for over 2-3 yrs now. I was quite content UNTIL a few months back my husband got me an Evelyn PM in Gold (:hbeat:which I love!) and since then I began “eyeing“ and considering to ,maybe, add another small puzzle - in colour Tan in a classic calf leather. With an exception of mini Flamenco in jacquard material, all of my Loewe bags are in soft grained leather - 2 previously mentioned puzzles, 2 small gates in Light Caramel and Steel Blue and Balloon bag in dark grey.
[I personally find grained leather pieces in my collection (including Hermes Clemence leather) to be extremely low maintenance and very hard wearing]

From your experiences, would I have to worry about classic calf leather compared to soft grained leather?

Also, I love my puzzles (small in Raspberry more so as small is my preferred size) and I absolutely adore both Gold (Hermes) & Tan (Loewe) colours, but would it be a mistake to add another small puzzle (albeit in different leather)? I worry because after adding Light Caramel Gate to my collection I pretty much stopped using my Blue Steele Gate, but I am hoping Raspberry in soft grained and Tan in classic calf are different enough to continue using both :panic::confused1:

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated :heart:

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I already have 2 Puzzle bags in my collection - small in Raspberry and medium in Asphalt (dark grey). Both pieces are in soft grained leather (and seasonal colours) and I have had both for over 2-3 yrs now. I was quite content UNTIL a few months back my husband got me an Evelyn PM in Gold (:hbeat:which I love!) and since then I began “eyeing“ and considering to ,maybe, add another small puzzle - in colour Tan in a classic calf leather. With an exception of mini Flamenco in jacquard material, all of my Loewe bags are in soft grained leather - 2 previously mentioned puzzles, 2 small gates in Light Caramel and Steel Blue and Balloon bag in dark grey.
[I personally find grained leather pieces in my collection (including Hermes Clemence leather) to be extremely low maintenance and very hard wearing]

From your experiences, would I have to worry about classic calf leather compared to soft grained leather?

Also, I love my puzzles (small in Raspberry more so as small is my preferred size) and I absolutely adore both Gold (Hermes) & Tan (Loewe) colours, but would it be a mistake to add another small puzzle (albeit in different leather)? I worry because after adding Light Caramel Gate to my collection I pretty much stopped using my Blue Steele Gate, but I am hoping Raspberry in soft grained and Tan in classic calf are different enough to continue using both :panic::confused1:

I think the colors are different enough to have. For me, I change bags with my outfit so having different colors work for me especially in a style I know I like. I have puzzles in both leathers and find both the same - easy to maintain.

Reactions: DAMER
Hello everyone!

You can carry classic calfskin without "hardly" any worry. I have both classic and grained and they wear differently, but classic is not worse. My black classic has been on planes trains and automobiles, scrunched up, in all sorts of weather and it looks amazing. It gets some patina marks but nothing like, say a Celine box leather or Hermes box calf. it's more like a more durable evergrain leather