The Loewe Basket

Hi, there some chat about this bag on the Loewe thread. I took mine on holiday this year and I loved carrying it. It’s quite robust for a straw bag.
F5F9A3BD-CE2B-4337-8A9B-AD64B400F8D0.jpeg
I like the adjustable straps which means it can be carried as a shoulder bag or in the hand. I took it to the pool, site-seeing, to markets and on shopping trips where it was so useful. After a month holiday it still looks as good as new.

I was in France and many ladies carry something similar there. However, you could buy these bags in the markets for only about 40 euro so it’s certainly expensive (same could be said of any designer bag?). Nevertheless, I’m really pleased with it and think it should last a good while. Hope that helps.

I saw this at Neimans, and while it looks like great quality, your stuff is really out there for everyone to see. I have it on a wishlist and wouldn't turn it down if someone gifted it to me, but I'm a bit hard pressed to think about anything besides farmer's market shopping or pool items I would feel comfortable having out like that.

Reactions: hopcake and jbags07
Just bought one and have been carrying it for the past two weeks. It seems to be quite robust and the leather straps are sturdy. The only weak point I might see unravelling are the top edges of the bag when you carry it on the shoulder and squeeze it against your body. I have mostly been carrying it at the crook of my arm. Also the bottom does bulge out if you stuff the bag with heavy stuff ie. groceries or books etc. I use the dust bag as the liner inside the bag and that works well if you fold it in nicely and I do think it also helps with distributing the weight around the base of the basket and you can "close" the dust bag so that all your stuff isn't on display.

Sure you can get a cheaper alternative but from designer labels basket bags Loewe's is the "cheapest". I do like their leather and hope it will soften up after some use.
IMG_20200703_171024.jpg

oooh this thread came in the right time! i was also in hesitating between the two (and the newest paula's ibiza basket bag, see photo below)
iraca.jpeg

HONESTLY i struggled to choose between the 3 and but i still ordered the square basket (and the paula's ibiza parrot print drawstring pouch to act as an insert.) i felt like the square basket can also look suitable as an everyday errands bag.

i didn't choose the other two types of basket because of the wider opening..... it feels a bit less safe for me and i'm paranoid lol

The square basket is a lot more structured than the other baskets, and works well as a small daily carry or even for work. There's also a lower chance of stuff spilling out which can be a problem for the original basket bag because it's a much wider opening. I've seen people try to overcome that by using the dust bag as an inner "lining" whereas the square basket can accommodate a generic bag organizer better.

Thanks everyone for your input! I’m definitely leaning more towards the square basket as an everyday bag and I really like the fact that you can wear it on your shoulder. I just wasn’t sure how well the raffia would wear or if there’d be structure loss since you would be putting your arm on top of the bag when wearing it on your shoulder.

I think the reason I was torn was the fact that the small basket bag looks like it could hold more since it’s less structured and more flexible. (And it also looks really cute on the crook of the arm/handheld)

Thanks everyone for your input! I’m definitely leaning more towards the square basket as an everyday bag and I really like the fact that you can wear it on your shoulder. I just wasn’t sure how well the raffia would wear or if there’d be structure loss since you would be putting your arm on top of the bag when wearing it on your shoulder.

I think the reason I was torn was the fact that the small basket bag looks like it could hold more since it’s less structured and more flexible. (And it also looks really cute on the crook of the arm/handheld)

That’s true, the small basket bag looks like it’s more flexible and you wouldn’t have to worry about loss of structure. I can’t speak for the raffia only square tote as I have a sturdier style but I don’t think it would lose its shape so quickly.

It would be so much easier to see both...maybe you can order both and see for yourself?

Reactions: levix
Good thread as I love both styles and was contemplating these, as well as the raffia pochette for summer! I voted for the square basket since it can be carried on the shoulder. I prefer to be hands-free and am awkward when carrying bags in my hand or on my elbow.

Both are lovely so it depends on which is easier/comfier to carry.

Reactions: levix
Thank you for everyone’s comments! I went with the square basket bag! I think it’d honestly be more versatile for me and being able to wear it on my shoulder is definitely a big pro.

View attachment 5070267

I juuuust got mine yesterday (a few hours after i replied you, i received a call from my SA telling me the bag is available!)
I also got the paula's ibiza parrot pouch to act as a bag insert and it fits better than the dustbag. More photos on the thread https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/may-2021-purchases.1042253/

20210501_202129.jpg