Loctite and Opening New Screw System Love

May 29, 2010
I really want a second Love (my 1st is a yellow gold with the old screw system purchased preloved) for a push present, but I am not a huge fan of using glue to hold it in place. However if this is the only way to ensure the new system works then I may consider. I had this discussion with my husband and he thinks the screws might bend if you try to take off your Love with the loctite. The only reason I would remove it is for surgeries (in 4 years my Love has been off my wrist twice). Has any tried to remove then put back on the bracelet with the loctite?

I really want a second Love (my 1st is a yellow gold with the old screw system purchased preloved) for a push present, but I am not a huge fan of using glue to hold it in place. However if this is the only way to ensure the new system works then I may consider. I had this discussion with my husband and he thinks the screws might bend if you try to take off your Love with the loctite. The only reason I would remove it is for surgeries (in 4 years my Love has been off my wrist twice). Has any tried to remove then put back on the bracelet with the loctite?
There are different strengths of locktight.

Get the lowest strength of locktite. I have heard several people have used it and have no problems. I believe the blue is what you want. They have one that will make it impossible to unscrew so make sure to look for blue.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

Reactions: Jetsetmax
There are different strengths of locktight.

Get the lowest strength of locktite. I have heard several people have used it and have no problems. I believe the blue is what you want. They have one that will make it impossible to unscrew so make sure to look for blue.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm
Thank you for the information! Do you know if the loctite clogs/sticks to the screws after the bracelet is opened? Does it affect future closings?

Thank you for the information! Do you know if the loctite clogs/sticks to the screws after the bracelet is opened? Does it affect future closings?

The times I have used it, it just makes the threads blue. The locktite will still be on the threads. I'm not sure how hard it would be to get off the threads. Maybe someone has experience with this. I have just used it with mechanical parts. It works great.

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
I have had the new love on for over 2.5 years now. I have not taken it off since the day it was put on at the boutique. No locktite used and no issues

Same with me, mine has been on 4 years. I personally would not use any type of glue on mine. Have the SA put it on, so it's done correctly. I think that is the key to not having the screws come loose.

Seriously, paying Cartier price point and have to rely on glue to make it stay on is beyond me!!!
I feel the same way. However it took me a long time to find my original Love on the secondary market (I have the old screw system). There are a lot of fakes. In addition there are specifics that I want this time (rose gold and a size 18). With my original I was open to yellow or rose and size 17 (tight fit) or 18 (loose fit). Keeping these specifics in my will make it even more of a challenge to find an old screw system.

I got the new love in 2012 to wear with my love from 2006 that has the old system. Never took the newer love off and was unaware of issues with loose screws until earlier this month when I realized the bangle had fallen off at some point during the day. I agree with kewave, I won't spend that amount of money only to secure the screws with loctite. If your considering wearing your bracelets together the size 18 may overlap your 17 causing more scuffs and scratches than is normal wear.

I got the new love in 2012 to wear with my love from 2006 that has the old system. Never took the newer love off and was unaware of issues with loose screws until earlier this month when I realized the bangle had fallen off at some point during the day. I agree with kewave, I won't spend that amount of money only to secure the screws with loctite. If your considering wearing your bracelets together the size 18 may overlap your 17 causing more scuffs and scratches than is normal wear.
Yeah- I have to be really picky to get a Love that fits correctly. I thought about the cuff but a size 19 (the size I would need to line up with my loose fit Love- size 18) would fall off my wrist.

I feel the same way. However it took me a long time to find my original Love on the secondary market (I have the old screw system). There are a lot of fakes. In addition there are specifics that I want this time (rose gold and a size 18). With my original I was open to yellow or rose and size 17 (tight fit) or 18 (loose fit). Keeping these specifics in my will make it even more of a challenge to find an old screw system.

Save your $! I'm not very keen on pre-owned jewellery esp not for Cartier Love which is flooding the secondary market with lots of fakes/imitations out there.
If you are paranoid with the new Love closure mechanism then perhaps it's time to branch out to other jewelery designs or brands....

Reactions: kkfiregirl
Save your $! I'm not very keen on pre-owned jewellery esp not for Cartier Love which is flooding the secondary market with lots of fakes/imitations out there.
If you are paranoid with the new Love closure mechanism then perhaps it's time to branch out to other jewelery designs or brands....
Usually I enjoy buying preloved pieces but the Love Bracelet is particularly hard to buy. I've been trying to get a second one off my mind for a few months now, but I still keep thinking about it. I am going to my favorite estate jewelry store this weekend; hopefully they have a piece I want more.

Haven't used it on my newer bracelets, but loctite is commonly used on high end wrist watch bracelets to keep the screws on removable/sizing links from loosening and coming out over time. I've adjusted my watch bracelets that used loctite and not had any problems with putting reusing screw that had loctite and putting them back into the bracelet holes.