Locks, disposed brass vs fully brass

Nattymj

May 7, 2013
Hi!
I got a brand new speedy 30 B last weekend from my husband and was a little bummed that my lock was very tarnished and not shiny at all.
I went in today to ask for a new lock, and they said because i wasn't carrying that particular bag, even though I brought the lock, that I could buy a new one for $35.
Oh Hell no!
He offered to polish it for me instead, and it worked and it's super shiny now!
I was carrying my empreinte speedy and showed him that even though it was 2 years old, the lock on it is still shiny!
He told me it's because on my empreinte, the lock is full brass and will not tarnish.
But the licks on the canvas speedy is brass plated and it will tarnish or lose it's shine over time.
But he said it's easy to clean it! My husband was with me and said he can actually polish it with his tools too. Good to know for the future!

So I just thought that was odd, and I never knew that?!
I guess the leather bags have full brass locks? While canvas does not?

Just thought I'd share!!!!

I had wondered about those locks. Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I did not know this but often suspected something was different I just did not know what it was.

Thanks for the info, I always wondered why my Speedy B lock tarnished so quickly. It's kind of infuriating to me though, the Speedy B is not an inexpensive bag by any means....why they can't spring for a quality lock on all of their bags is beyond me!

Congrats on your Speedy B! But be careful when you're trying to remove the tarnish- that SA doesn't know what he's talking about. Real brass tarnishes and you can use Brasso (sold at most hardware stores) to remove the tarnish so it shines. Brass plated locks have a thin coating which does tarnish -- and although you can use Brasso or other polishers/tarnish removers--you have to be careful. There's just a thin layer of brass that will eventually be removed over time! Just like gold or rhodium plated jewelry. I try not to buy anything "plated" but I love my LV's :smile:

I use toothpaste and a soft bristle toothbrush that has been worn down on tarnished locks and keys. Toothpaste that is the chalky kind is most effective in my experience.

I also tried using hot ketchup. Surprisingly enough it works but I hate the smell so I tried toothpaste and have stuck with it ever since!

"Real brass does not tarnish." Another clued-up LV sales associate. :lol:

On a serious note, though, that is very disappointing (though not entirely surprising) that they think it's okay to cheap out on a coated lock for their canvas bags.

Wow, I just assumed all the brass locks were the same. Thanks for the info. There are some great videos on YouTube for cleaning LV locks too.

🐩"...wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast." E.H.🐩

Here's some pics....
My 2012 DA speedy 30 (lock number is 433) and 2014 mini speedy 30 B (lock number is 302)

Definitely agree, these locks are more rugged looking and do lose their shine over time!
Next I'll upload my empriente speedy lock pics! Give me a few minutes...

Last edited:
I get what you mean.

The monogram is meant to look that way . And the empreinte hardware is another finish . I tried to compared to my sister idylle and we have the same observation. I personally think it will be better to leave it as it is because that is the original design of the bag. That finish is not because it is old. It is the same finish as the zipper and studs. So I doubt that it is a fault.

Only reason I can think of is, monogram canvas is meant to look the best when it is broken in, honey vachetta. Hence, If the hardware is not in that rugged finish, by the time the leather turned honey and canvas is broken in, the hardware will be full of hair line scratches. That ruined the whole look. Because of that rugged finish , your bag and hardware will look cool, well loved instead of looking used.

Also, empreinte is durable but more like a handbag. Monogram streamed from handbags to luggage and slgs so maybe that's the reason for different finishes.