Locked Up Abroad

sugarjaws

May 21, 2009
I did a search and couldn't find any threads on this show. Has anyone seen it on National Geographic? It is really good. I rented the series from Netflix. Some of the stores are really sad and scary, but the others relating to drug dealing show what happens when you don't know the laws of other countries or think you can get away with crime.

Anyone else seen this show?

kiss_p

So, pretty...
O.G.
Jul 9, 2007
I've seen it. I really like that most of the people who try to smuggle drugs, say they really learned their lesson and wouldn't do it again!

TylerDurden

Sep 22, 2008
Hawaii
I really like this show too. Fortunately most of these people get out within a short amount of time whereas if they had done this in America they would be in jail for much longer.

SWlife

For the love of beautiful things
O.G.
Oct 18, 2006
New Mexico
It should be required watching for American prisoners. I know prison isn't a cakewalk no matter how you look at it, but it seems to me the American prisons do show a bit more humanity toward the prisoners than some other countries do.
I have only seen drug smuggling attempts so far. Have there been other offenses too?

sugarjaws

May 21, 2009
Other than the drug smuggling episodes, there are also episodes where Americans go to teach, volunteer or do some type of humanitarian work. The one I watched this past weekend was so heartbreaking. Husband and wife moved to the Phillipines and were kidnapped while at a resort. This one hit me the hardest. It was a real tearjerker.

Yes, the Americans do show a lot more humanity. As far as other offenses, I've only seen drug smuggling. As I mentioned above, there are humanitarian episodes as well. You might have to rent these though. As I stated in my first post, I rented the series from Netflix. There are 4 DVD's with a total of 12 episodes.