Local Jeweler VS department stores

Susie Lee

Aug 23, 2016
I recently was in my local jeweler's store this past weekend and noticed he had some "designer pieces" such as Tiffany's, Cartier, etc in addition to his normal diamonds. When I discussed prices with him I was shocked to hear how low he was asking in comparison to department stores such as Neimans and Saks. Has anyone else had this experience as well? I am not a huge jewelry buyer but do shop in department stores for other things such as bags and shoes. What is everyone's opinion on where to buy jewelry from?

If he had authentic Tiffany etc. it's on the secondary market (pre-owned) and is almost always cheaper, significantly. Just like finding a used designer bag @ a consignment shop.

Do you find that it is worth buying it new vs buying pre owned?

Depends on the item. I bought a pre-owned Tiffany Novo eternity band for less than 1/3 of retail. It looks brand new so I would say paying 3xs as much is not something I'd want to do in that case, nor do I think the ring is actually worth 3xs the price even though I love it. To me - It's about worth what I paid... very light weight on the platinum being eternity and small diamonds - about what you'd pay for a new non designer band of the same make & quality. No one is going to know it's a Tiffany ring I except me.