Local columnist's story on purses

Well, as someone who used to truly hold a purely utilitarian view of bags, I see an inconsistency.

She is wondering if a bag is red enough, and thinking about it after she leaves the store.

Now if you are a utilitarian, you do not do this. You could care less about the color, and if you need a bag, you buy one. If you think it costs too much, you buy another one.

You definitely do not go home and think about a bag you didn't buy, either its price or its redness, and that is true whether the bag in question costs $5000 at a boutique or $5 at the thrift store!

So I suspect that she has more affection for and interest in this particular accessory than she lets on. ;)

I think she's a generally utilitarian person, who is attempting to become 'one of us'! :lol: At least on a part-time basis.

That's why she's so insecure about it. :yes:

If you've always had no time for a certain item and then, suddenly, decide you want/need it; it can be scary, uncharted territory. :biggrin:

She doesn't want her first foray into handbags to be a complete disaster (and for all the 'purse people' to mock her bad taste/lack of knowledge!) and put her off for life! :biggrin:

I think she's a generally utilitarian person, who is attempting to become 'one of us'! :lol: At least on a part-time basis.

That's why she's so insecure about it. :yes:

If you've always had no time for a certain item and then, suddenly, decide you want/need it; it can be scary, uncharted territory. :biggrin:

She doesn't want her first foray into handbags to be a complete disaster (and for all the 'purse people' to mock her bad taste/lack of knowledge!) and put her off for life! :biggrin:

Now THAT is insightful!

I hope she will find a red bag for $8.99, and experience the hilarity of being stopped by a "purse purson" rocking one of the $3000 ones, to ask her where in the world she got her wonderful bag, and who makes it, and she will get to smile sweetly, cock her head to one side just slightly, and say "It was on clearance at Target. I think the one on such and such a street has a couple left!" :idea:

hahaa my girl friend is actually like that too. Its hilarious, I've been trying to impose purses on her for a while, but no... finally I caved and bought her a money clip

I LOVED that article! That woman is so much like my best friend. She is a TJ Maxx-a-holic. I gave her a fake LV and she absolutely adored it! It was big and held a lot and she just banged the heck out of it before it fell apart. Some just don't get the fascination with designer handbags. I went from Coach, to Dooney & Bourke, to Brighton, and now LV & Chanel. And my budget obviously has gone to he** in a handbag. :roflmfao: