Local Buyer

scottishdoll

Apr 11, 2012
Hi

I've just sold a bag online for £300. The buyer lives about 10 miles away and has asked if she can pick up rather than than have it delivered to save on the postage. I don't sell on Ebay very often so I was wondering about potential problems if the buyer isn't happy, etc.

thanks in advance :smile:

I have done local pick up....but it was for a lower cost item. I made sure that they paid cash. Never accept Paypal for a pick up.
On the other hand, how much can the shipping be? The only thing that costs anything here is the Insurance and Signature Confirmation. The actual postage to ship is a pittance.
Besides..............this is something that should have been addressed PRIOR to the sale, not sprung on you afterwards.

I have done local pick up....but it was for a lower cost item. I made sure that they paid cash. Never accept Paypal for a pick up.
On the other hand, how much can the shipping be? The only thing that costs anything here is the Insurance and Signature Confirmation. The actual postage to ship is a pittance.
Besides..............this is something that should have been addressed PRIOR to the sale, not sprung on you afterwards.

I totally agree. She has already paid via Paypal, she only asked these questions after she paid.

I'm travelling within the UK tomorrow night after work (about 400miles away)so I'm wondering if I shoudl just tell her I'm not in the area so she can't collect as I'm a bit nervous incase something goes wrong.

I've only had a couple of experiences recently, I sold my first bag recently for the same amount of money, and the buyer wanted to meet in person.

I would advise that if you do go down this route, that to accept cash only - do not accept Paypal as there is no way of proving that the buyer received the item.

Maybe arrange to meet the buyer somewhere where they can sit down and inspect the bag, then if she's happy she can pay you for it?

If she has already paid with PP the answer is absolutely not! If she wants to do a pickup you would have to refund her payment and accept cash only.

This is the reason why you don't want to use local pickup with a PP payment: Buyer can claim INR and you won't have a d.c. number to prove that she received it and that's the only way you can win an INR dispute.

She paid quite quickly after the auction ended (including the delivery charge) then sent the email asking if she could come collect it as she noticed we were relatively close by.

I haven't responded yet as I wanted to get some advice first before committing myself to something that could cause problems later down the line. So if she decides not to go ahead with it I'll be pretty pissed as she should have brought this up before she bid or before she paid!!!

I would just let her know that you are not available to meet for a pick up

I would just let her know you will be mailing the parcel out as she has already
paid for the postage.

And do you need insurance, signature confirmation & delivery confirmation on this?
I would do that as well to make sure that she gets the package.

I would think a polite, "I'm terribly sorry but it's already been taken to the post office (or to your mailer, if the post office is closed)" would suffice.

There are advantages to local pick up. Cash only so no Paypal fees for the seller. No chance of a Paypal claim. And the buyer saves on shipping. So can be a win-win.

I agree that no way with a Paypal payment.