LMM in Mustard Yellow -- Advice Needed Please!!!

Kathy K

O.G.
Feb 24, 2006
I got my long-awaited mustard yellow Love Me Mini in the mail yesterday. My husband wanted to see it because my wine Love Me Mini is one of his favorite bags. Generally, he expresses ZERO interest in my purses, so I happily obliged. To my surprise, he was very taken aback by the color, which now has been seriously second guessing myself. Can you ladies please tell me what you think? Honest opinions solicited!!

YellowBE004.jpg

YellowBE003.jpg

I love the yellow mustard color but not particularly in that style. It's hard to explain why though. It'd look nicer maybe in a simpler style like the SMM.

Regardless, it still looks nice on you! Did your husband give specifics on why he didn't like it. If you love it, keep it though because that's all that matters! Yellow is a nice color on you :smile:

I actually really like the style.

I think you have to LOVE the color....otherwise, it's not going to work for you, but I think the combo w/ silver hw is stunning.

And I love the braided handles! :yes:

The leather looks buttery soft too!

Hi Kathy! Firstly, WELCOME to the BE 'madhouse'...oops I mean forum!! What's most important, is how YOU feel, and if you feel FAB, then that's what matters! Personally, whilst I love the colour, I would probably get it in the 'Hold me', as it's simple, yet chic. I think with colours, the less detail the better, as the colour itself makes a statement! :tup:

Hi, I really love the color and the style -- but I think it is best when worn with summer clothes. In the foto, you have on all black, and the bag doesn't "go." If you can imagine yourself in jeans and a crisp white shirt, the handbag works. Or a lovely gauzy cotton skirt and top...

It IS a summer bag, in my opinion, and would look good used in that context. So maybe that's what is throwing you off. Think of it as your white summer bag, except that it is yellow.

So do try it on with some real summery clothes and see how you feel.

It's good to see it on you as I was considering ordering it in that exact combo! I think everyone;s right, it could just be the outfit...I have seen the mustard yellow in a few styles and think it's a great colour!

I actually really like it against the dark clothes!!! It looks striking but not brash.
But on the whole I agree, it's more a spring/summer bag.

I think the bottom line is this, you either love it or you don't - if not sure, give it a few days to see how you feel.

If it were me and I still felt iffy about it, I'd return it and exchange it for another colour in the same style (that's if you like the style!)

I LOVE the Mustard but not in this Love Me Mini style. I also don't care for the white fabric of the zipper, although the silver hardware is very chic. I think it would look significantly better if the zipper fabric were a close-matching golden-yellow color rather than this stark white. To me, this is what puts me off about this bag in general.

Also, I concur with those who pointed out wearing this bag with lighter colored summer clothing. I can picture this with a very lightweight madras jumper with hues of sky blue, yellow, white, and green with a crisp white short-sleeved t-shirt and strappy sandals ~ it would look smashing!!!

Scale-wise, this size suits you perfectly ~ not too small or large.

Welcome to our new BE forum! :welcome:Enjoy perusing the threads!!

It's gorgeous!! I can imagine how this bag is shimmering while in your possession! LOL!

I seriously debated between the mustard and the apple green and I'll tell you why I went with the green; I realized I'm not a fan of pebbled leather. I had the mustard swatch in my hands and the color was unreal (in a good way! very beautiful); part of what makes it so unique is the glow that comes from the pebbling - the light really plays off the texture of the leather. But the "bumps" were hard for me to get over. I guess I've never been a pebbled leather gal.

Also, the pebbling added to the "busy-ness" of the bag....I don't know why I didn't feel exactly the same about the pebbled leathers (shimmer cream and grey) as I did about the other leathers in the LMM, until I realized that the texture on the pebbled leathers was a unique design feature unto itself. So, for me, on a simpler looking bag (Hold Me, Indulge Me) or accessory (would love to see this in an Angel Purse), the texture would be perfect! The LM and the LMM have a lot going on in addition to the shape of the bag...but just MHO!

Also, the apple green LMM idea came to me in a dream and if I didn't get that, I would regret it, for sure! :yes:

If you love it, keep it - it's so unique and beautiful. Honestly, if Jackie had said that there was not an apple green option, the mustard would have been mine, despite my small reservations!

ETA: Sometimes husbands aren't the best judges of color in handbags...most guys I know consider bags to be extensions of briefcases, so they think that the traditional, darker colors are more the norm. Take this bag to your girlfriends, hold onto it for the day, try it on with a different outfit - I'm sure you will see that the color is a fantastic POW to your wardrobe!

audball67 ~ I concur with this pebble-textured leather being a bit much with this semi-unstructured style with highly detailed handles. This leather looks absolutely fabulous in the I'm Yours, which is a structured hand-held bag with rolled handles.

Also, the bag is a bit stiff as it is brand new. I imagine it will look much better once worn, broken in, and the leather relaxes a bit.

I think it makes for a beautiful spring/summer bag. I am a huge fan of yellow, so I love it. I can't wait to get mine, so thank you for the preview. I agree that it would look better when worn with lighter colored clothes.

Do let us know what you decide! It is a lovely lovely handbag. But if YOU don't love it, or see how it will into your lifestyle or wardrobe, that's what matters.

And: only if your husband has very good taste, would I consider what he said about a handbag.

I agree in that I think that part of the issue is wearing light colors and summery clothes with that bag. I think it would look beautiful with a white shirt and jeans or pants.

Sometimes a bag has to grow on you but sometimes you just know if you love it or not. We all may love it, but if it doesn't work for you, yours is the only opnion that really counts. It's a signficant amount of money so try a few things to see if you love it.

And I agree that the proportion looks perfect on your frame!